Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5

    Mavic Freehub Binding?

    I have a Mavic Aksium wheel that will spin alright when chain is on smaller cogs but seems to not spin as free when the chain is on larger cogs. is this normal for a low end set or something is binding somewhere? thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    changingleaf
    Reputation: changingleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    578
    This doesn't look normal. Are you spinning the crack backwards or coasting? If you are spinning the cranks backwards and cross-chaining there is slightly more friction than when the chain is straight. There should be no noticeable difference coasting.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by IP Outdoors View Post
    I have a Mavic Aksium wheel that will spin alright when chain is on smaller cogs but seems to not spin as free when the chain is on larger cogs. is this normal for a low end set or something is binding somewhere? thanks in advance.
    Long story short, this is the primary symptom a Mavic cassette that needs service. It is reasonably simple for the home mechanic to do, and if you own a set of Mavic wheels then you'll want to become familiar with this. Also, be VERY aware that the pawl springs will want to jump across the universe give their first chance to do it.

    This article is a good breakdown of what you need to do.
    Last edited by November Dave; 01-04-2018 at 10:04 AM.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    This doesn't look normal. Are you spinning the crack backwards or coasting? If you are spinning the cranks backwards and cross-chaining there is slightly more friction than when the chain is straight. There should be no noticeable difference coasting.
    coasting. its a new wheel.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Long story short, this is the primary symptom a Mavic cassette that needs service. It is reasonably simple for the home mechanic to do, and if you own a set of Mavic wheels then you'll want to become familiar with this. Also, be VERY aware that the pawl springs will want to jump across the universe give their first chance to do it.

    This article is a good breakdown of what you need to do.
    I have taken it apart and inspected. looks fine. its a rather new wheel with less than 50 miles. I relubed with food grade mineral oil from the kitchen. is this too thick?

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by IP Outdoors View Post
    I have taken it apart and inspected. looks fine. its a rather new wheel with less than 50 miles. I relubed with food grade mineral oil from the kitchen. is this too thick?
    I can't expertly say whether what you've used is too thick or not as I've only personally done this once a long long time ago with a wheel that I owned. But if it's a new wheel with 50 miles on it, the place you bought it from should be handling this.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    20,667
    Quote Originally Posted by IP Outdoors View Post
    I have taken it apart and inspected. looks fine. its a rather new wheel with less than 50 miles. I relubed with food grade mineral oil from the kitchen. is this too thick?
    Don't be confused by the "mineral oil" reference. This is widely known to be a poor translation from the French - "mineral oil" means "oil from the ground" otherwise known as regular petroleum based oil. The food grade mineral oil you used is probably pretty easy to wash out with water. Any grade of oil will work, with obviously more friction if you use higher viscosity oil.

    MAVIC freehubs are poorly designed relative to the rest of the industry, and your experience simply confirms that fact.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Don't be confused by the "mineral oil" reference. This is widely known to be a poor translation from the French - "mineral oil" means "oil from the ground" otherwise known as regular petroleum based oil. The food grade mineral oil you used is probably pretty easy to wash out with water. Any grade of oil will work, with obviously more friction if you use higher viscosity oil.

    MAVIC freehubs are poorly designed relative to the rest of the industry, and your experience simply confirms that fact.
    And user reviews confirm that as well:

    Mavic Aksium wheelsets - clincher Reviews - RoadbikeReview.com
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Does the Ksyrium line share the same wheelhub as the Aksium?

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,622
    Quote Originally Posted by IP Outdoors View Post
    Does the Ksyrium line share the same wheelhub as the Aksium?
    Not sure. Note that there are quite a few different versions of the Ksyrium which vary considerably in user reviews:

    wheelsets - clincher Reviews - RoadbikeReview.com
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,327
    Quote Originally Posted by IP Outdoors View Post
    I have a Mavic Aksium wheel that will spin alright when chain is on smaller cogs but seems to not spin as free when the chain is on larger cogs. is this normal for a low end set or something is binding somewhere? thanks in advance.
    Regardless of how much Mavic hubs suck and how to service them, I'm at a total loss to even guess how what cog you are in would have any impact on the hub spinning.
    I don't know what else could cause that either.

    Is that really what you meant to say? I don't see how it's possible. Coasting as in coasting right? Not moving the cranks at all? Are we talking really minor differences that could be in your head?
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 01-05-2018 at 01:47 PM.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Regardless of how much Mavic hubs suck and how to service them, I'm at a total loss to even guess how what cog you are in would have any impact on the hub spinning.
    I don't know what else could cause that either.

    Is that really what you meant to say? I don't see how it's possible. Coasting as in coasting right? Not moving the cranks at all? Are we talking really minor differences that could be in your head?
    Yes. That is what I meant. Larger cogs are towards the middle of the wheel and the chain gets tighter on those gears. The chain length is fine though. It seems the tightness of the chain affects the freehub.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,327
    Quote Originally Posted by IP Outdoors View Post
    Yes. That is what I meant. Larger cogs are towards the middle of the wheel and the chain gets tighter on those gears. The chain length is fine though. It seems the tightness of the chain affects the freehub.
    well, the chain doesn't get tighter. The spring in your rear der. sees to that. Or if it really does you have separate problems as well.
    I got nothing.

Similar Threads

  1. Bearings binding?
    By AlanS in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 09:52 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
  3. Fork binding on my krysirum eletes
    By PltJett in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 04:50 PM
  4. Bottom Bracket binding/vibration
    By turborob in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 06:52 PM
  5. Mavic rear wheel binding
    By spookyload in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.