Thread: Mavic ksyrium

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Mavic ksyrium

Can anyone tell me the difference if there even is one between mavic ksyrium ssc and mavic ksyrium ssc sl I've been trying to find out and can't seem to find a comparison

dh00sh b4gginz
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoors-maniac
    Can anyone tell me the difference if there even is one between mavic ksyrium ssc and mavic ksyrium ssc sl I've been trying to find out and can't seem to find a comparison

Ksyrium SSC SL is the newer version of the SSC. The rim on the SSC SL is machined and is lighter. That's the only difference. The SSC's have the same hubs and spokes as the SL's. I have a set of SSC's, I like 'em.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattv2099
    Ksyrium SSC SL is the newer version of the SSC. The rim on the SSC SL is machined and is lighter. That's the only difference. The SSC's have the same hubs and spokes as the SL's. I have a set of SSC's, I like 'em.
    Ok thanks I just bought a front black ssc wheel for a really good price. You don't know the weight difference off hand do you? I also lack a rear wheel would it be completly weird If I bought a black ssc sl wheel? or is the difference small enough not to worrie about it?

dh00sh b4gginz
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoors-maniac
    Ok thanks I just bought a front black ssc wheel for a really good price. You don't know the weight difference off hand do you? I also lack a rear wheel would it be completly weird If I bought a black ssc sl wheel? or is the difference small enough not to worrie about it?

When I weighed my SSC's I think they were in the 1625-1650g range. But they had a big old layer of dried glue on them. Mine are tubulars, by the way.

If you can find a black one to match your SSC then they'd look alright together. It would look weird to rock a black in front and a silver in back.

Here is a photo of a black SL. You can see the rim is machined between the spokes where it's shiny.

here the SSC is black between the spokes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattv2099
    When I weighed my SSC's I think they were in the 1625-1650g range. But they had a big old layer of dried glue on them. Mine are tubulars, by the way.

If you can find a black one to match your SSC then they'd look alright together. It would look weird to rock a black in front and a silver in back.

Here is a photo of a black SL. You can see the rim is machined between the spokes where it's shiny.

here the SSC is black between the spokes.

Great so If I can't find a black ssc then a black ssc sl, which appears to be far more common then just the ssc, then I should be alright. thanks for the time!

By the way I found this neat site to check wheel weights.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...ype=roadwheels