RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Mavic Ksyrium ES Wheelset

I am about to pull the trigger on a used wheelset - Mavic Ksyrium ES. I noticed, however, that the front wheel has two red spokes and the owner is saying that it came like that on his bike that he purchased a few years ago. I can't remember the bike, but nonetheless, has anyone seen this wheelset ever come with 2 red spokes? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Nope, pretty sure they came with 1 red spoke per wheel. At least mine did, and the same goes for every other set I have seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Maybe get the SL Premium?

Quote Originally Posted by pastpob
    I am about to pull the trigger on a used wheelset - Mavic Ksyrium ES. I noticed, however, that the front wheel has two red spokes and the owner is saying that it came like that on his bike that he purchased a few years ago. I can't remember the bike, but nonetheless, has anyone seen this wheelset ever come with 2 red spokes? Thanks!
    It should have only one red spoke, although I've seen some crazy "custom" lacing using the red and black spokes. Unless you are getting an insane deal, may also want to check out SL Premiums that are being closed out all over the internet. I got a pair new for about the same price as the Elites. I really like these wheels, although many others think that they are only mediocre.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    read the reviews on this wheelset before purchasing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks everyone...yeah, I decided against purchasing since one of the reasons I liked the wheelset was due to its uniqueness of the one red spoke. Couldn't come to grips with having two of them on one wheel and only one on the other wheel. I also read some mixed reviews on this but I do know several folks who have used these wheels first hand and swear by them. As anything, I'm sure there will always be varying opinions on these. Thanks again!

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    I beat the tar out of my SL premiums and they work well for me (5'11 172lbs masher). Even with my frame I still roll past heavier riders on descents so they can't be that bad and are fairly stiff. The only complaint I might have is that they could do better in crosswinds.

I also had the Special edition SL's a while ago and sold them for $200 less than I paid even after 11k miles usage. I would never pay more than half msrp though.

I am itching to go custom but I keep getting good deals on stock stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

If I had a choice...

I have several set of Ksyriums (ES, SL Premium) that I purchased all at significant discount from MSRP. I'm not light, but these wheels have been very durable and reliable. That said, my favorite pre-built wheels are the Shimano Dura-Ace wheels (7800, 7801). They just roll and roll. I missed the sale Colorado Cyclist had on the 7850 scandium model; that was a great deal.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Thanks everyone...yeah, I decided against purchasing since one of the reasons I liked the wheelset was due to its uniqueness of the one red spoke. Couldn't come to grips with having two of them on one wheel and only one on the other wheel. I also read some mixed reviews on this but I do know several folks who have used these wheels first hand and swear by them. As anything, I'm sure there will always be varying opinions on these. Thanks again!
    ref uniqueness.... think about it, having 2 red spokes will make you uniquer....

That said, I reallly liked the Italian Special Edition with the red/white/green spoke

Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Thanks everyone...yeah, I decided against purchasing since one of the reasons I liked the wheelset was due to its uniqueness of the one red spoke. Couldn't come to grips with having two of them on one wheel and only one on the other wheel.
    Nothing that you couldn't fix with a little Krylon. How about World Champion stripe colors?

Spokes should be bare stainless, IMO. Sparkly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I have a set with two red spokes on the front wheel, it only had one to begin with but came back with two after a rebuild from Mavic, apparently their builders are morons.