RoadBikeReview Member

Mavic Ksyrium SR, Zipp101, What else?

Anyone tried these out yet? My old bike had Ksyrium SL's that I loved and I am trying to decide on a wheelset for my new bike. I have it narrowed down to these or the Zipp 101's, I think. Any experiences? Are the Tracomp spokes "fixed?"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic Ksyrium SR, Zipp101, What else?-2011-mavic-ksyrium-sr-wheelset1-600x450.jpg   Mavic Ksyrium SR, Zipp101, What else?-2011-mavic-ksyrium-sr-wheelset2-600x450.jpg  
    -2014 Roubaix Expert with 2014 Roval CLX40 wheels
    -2013 Stumpjumper Elite FSR 29er
    -Funner ORRB (Off Road Road Bike) with whatever we had around the shop

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just got the ksyrium sr wheelset. The rear wheels is pretty darn light at 765 grams. 5 grams heavier than my rear rolf elan aeros. They brake really nice too. These are actually on my wilier cento but will be shared with my new tarmac sl3 pro. The white hubs will go nicely with the frameset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Check out the mavic ksyrium K10...I just ordered them based on reviews and recommendation. I am in no way affiliated with competitive cyclist but they have great reviews on all their items and when I contacted them regarding which wheels they said for the type of riding I do hands down the K10. I was looking at more expensive sets such as the Zipp 101 and 303 as well as some Reynolds wheels so I thought their advice was genuine and unbiased because they sell them all. Any way I hope this helps

Eric

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I have the K-10 wheels on my bike and they are an excellent choice, ride and look very smooth oh! another thing the braking surface is top notch. Weight on both wheelsets are about the same. If you have doubts regarding the durability or strenght of the tracomp spokes go for the K10.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Hey-
    I have an older Litespeed arenberg that needs a new set of wheels. I ride about 80 miles a week, mostly flat terrain (miami) smooth roads. I weigh 185, was happy with my old mavics but they are oxidizing alot around the spokes nipples, and it seems like the hubs are aging too. Any recos? my son likes his Ksyriums, hoping to spend less than that, maybe even just getting new wheels around old hubs. any thoughts are appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Id recommend ksyriums. There are different models and different price ranges. The ksyrium elites may fit what you are looking for. They have identical hub machining and dont require rim tape just like the other models. They run used to near new for about $300-$425.

If you want lightweight and are on a budget. The ksyrium k10 are your best bet at 1445g. They might still be on sale at comptetivecyclist.com. 799 and come with tires and tubes.

I went with the ksyrium sr because they matched my bike the best. White hubs and 1430g as weighed on my scale without skewers. Cost me a bit more than the k10s.
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL3 - Race Black HTC2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Hed?

I had a pair of the original Mavic R-Sys with the recalled front wheel and didn't have any problems with them - but I also handled them with "kid gloves" to ensure that they were never bumped into and were always stored in their wheel bags.

If those are your choices, you may want to look at the HED Ardennes, too. Different price points for their models, but they always seem to get solid & favorable reviews.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000 View Post
    Id recommend ksyriums. There are different models and different price ranges. The ksyrium elites may fit what you are looking for. They have identical hub machining and dont require rim tape just like the other models. They run used to near new for about $300-$425.

If you want lightweight and are on a budget. The ksyrium k10 are your best bet at 1445g. They might still be on sale at comptetivecyclist.com. 799 and come with tires and tubes.

I went with the ksyrium sr because they matched my bike the best. White hubs and 1430g as weighed on my scale without skewers. Cost me a bit more than the k10s.

Would you mind post a pic of your ride? I would like to see those SR's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I would also love to see a pic of the SR's on your Cento uno....

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll update with pics soon!

Descending down Mt Diablo today was so fun on the ksyrium sr wheels; climbing not so much. It wasnt the wheels. The engine has been off for a week. The sr wheelset has an improved brake surface as advertised and I do feel the difference between my older ksyrium sl wheelset. Predictable braking and stops smoothly when you want.
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL3 - Race Black HTC2