RoadBikeReview Member

Mavic Open CD vs Ambrosio Excellence in the rain

I've been riding exclusively on Ambrosio rims for the past...9 seasons. Just recently built up a set of wheels, Mavic Open Pro's, DT Comp spokes and NOS Campag Centaur hubs.

I ride a fair amount in the rain and wet conditions having living in London, Shanghai and now Singapore for the past 10 years. A couple of days ago I was on my regular weekday AM ride, wind coming out of the west which is not a good sign here and sure enough coming back, it started to rain. Torrential in fact. I went to use the brakes and whoa, not much action there despite that the fact that the pads had long been bedded into the rims.

Nothing scientific here but the Amrbosio's are way better in extremely wet conditions braking that the Mavic's and they both have machined surfaces. Sames pads were used, salmon Koolstops. Anyone else have any interest experiences with different rims in the wet?
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

kytyree
    I really like the way Mavic OP ceramics brake in the rain. However I have read recently where riders feel there may be issues with some of the more recent ones and the quality of the ceramic coating. If true its a shame as I've had mine for a while with zero issues and they are by far my preferred choice when its wet out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    I believe the OP was for the CD's not the ceramics. I haven't dealt with the Open Pros, but have many a year on Open 4CD's.

The CDs are great, right up until the CD coating wears off, and then you just have a rim. Want to stop fast in the wet? Discs.

kytyree
    Quote Originally Posted by strathconaman
    I believe the OP was for the CD's not the ceramics. I haven't dealt with the Open Pros, but have many a year on Open 4CD's.

The CDs are great, right up until the CD coating wears off, and then you just have a rim. Want to stop fast in the wet? Discs.

Yes, it was, but it was also about braking in the rain and IME their ceramics brake better in the rain than the CD coating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kytyree
    Yes, it was, but it was also about braking in the rain and IME their ceramics brake better in the rain than the CD coating.
    I agree. The ceramics do brake better in the rain. In fact, I don't think the CD coating has anything to do with breaking.