RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009

Mavic Open Pro/ Record Hubs DT Comp spokes vs Campag Neutron Ultra

Hi,

Sorry if I seem to be asking a dumb question to some of you. I am looking to get an upgrade to my Campag Scirrocco's and I am interested in either a) Campagnolo Neutron Ultra or b) Mavic Open Pro (standard, CD or Ceramic) with Campag Record hubs and DT Comp spokes.

Now I know there's a price difference and some of you guys prefer shop built wheels than factory built, but how would you compare these? Neutrons give much improvement? or little?

By the way I'm about 200lbs and would be using the bike for training, mainly in fine weather.

Which would you choose?

John

kytyree
    If you're not riding in harsh weather, or doing a lot of downhills in the mountains I'd skip the OP ceramics, I love them but their advantages are really in brake track wear and braking in the wet.

I like Campy's factory wheels, but count me in the camp who prefer the handbuilts, or at least I think everyone who rides regularly can probably make good use of a wheelset like OP's, Record hubs, and the DT spokes. Durable, functional, easy to maintain, parts available all over...

A wheelist
    I'll take the ones with readily available, $0.75 spokes and $70 rims, whichever that is.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I built some Open Pro CDs with Record hubs and DT spokes, and they are awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Just ordered the Open Pro's CD with the Record hubs and DT Swiss Comp black spoke. Gonna run them on Vredesteins Fortezza Tricomps.
    The Open Pro's remind me of the old GP4's I had or I mean hhave. They are still out in my shed. Wonder would they be worth fixing up?
    Thanks for the help.

John

kytyree
    You'll enjoy them, I've never regretted buying a set of Record hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For training i would go for the handbuilt wheels, as they should be more reliable. The neutrons are great wheels, nice and light - but if you break a spoke - especially on the drive side rear - the wheel is basically unrideable and the spokes are hard to come by and expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kytyree
    You'll enjoy them, I've never regretted buying a set of Record hubs.
    Well I do.
    And so have others.
    "clunk"

That being said, I just ordered a new pair of record hubs.
    I also have a pair of white industries hubs. Much nicer looking and seem to perform better.
    I have no idea how long they will last though.