RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Mavic Open Sport, CXP22 or CXP23, any good?

Hi,

I need to get some new budget wheels for my commuting bike. I've now built three sets but don't intend to race on these ones. I've been pretty happy with Open Pros and CXP33 but am looking at the more budget options of Open Sport or CXP22, I prefer rims with eyelets which edges them ahead of the CXP23.

I would be lacing them to Tiagra hubs with double butted spokes. I weigh 85kg and will be riding on fairly good roads.

Any thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member

limited experience, but

the Open Sport is the same rim that used to be called the MA-3. I built a set of wheels for my fixie with them, and they have a lot of commuting miles with no problems. I'm not a very experienced wheelbuilder, and they were easy to work with. They cost about half as much as Open Pros, usually.

Big is relative
    Velocity rims or Open Pro silver rims would be a good budget wheelset choice. If these are your commuter wheels, give it some thought. Reliability should be a major part of your decision.
    Retired sailor

cycling as lifestyle
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishBob
    Hi,

I need to get some new budget wheels for my commuting bike. I've now built three sets but don't intend to race on these ones. I've been pretty happy with Open Pros and CXP33 but am looking at the more budget options of Open Sport or CXP22, I prefer rims with eyelets which edges them ahead of the CXP23.

I would be lacing them to Tiagra hubs with double butted spokes. I weigh 85kg and will be riding on fairly good roads.

Any thoughts?
    IME, CXP22 will get the job done, no need to look further.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I've gone with Open Sports in the end. We'll see how they get on.