RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Mavic R-SYS or Giant P-SLR1

So these are the options I have in front of me. I was after the Mavic wheels at first, but my local shop I go to is trying to push me towards the Giant wheel (my bike is a Giant TCR) saying they are just as good and around $300 cheaper.

Reviews for the Mavic wheel are solid, but the reviews on the Giant wheel suggest it is not as light as they are advertising (adv at 1390g but coming in actually at 1485g versus the 1355g for the Mavic wheels).

Anyone running either of these wheels that cares to weight in?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Forgot to add as well, the Shimano Durace WH-9000 C24 wheel set as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    You will find a lot of hate for the Mavic wheels on this forum for some reason. I have a set of Ksyrium SLR which is the same wheels except the front has bladed metal spoke instead of carbon. I am quite happy with them. If you search for that wheel you will find more info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The mavic R-Sys is box section aluminum, and the P-SLR1 is a 50mm deep carbon faired aluminum, right?
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    the Giants recently went on sale, i believe they maybr unloading their wheels. Some of the 2014 bikes aside from the Propel do not come with them anymore.

I recently picked up a PSLR-1 Aero's at a very good discount.

Muahahaha!
    Well, the R-SYS has been tested and found to have just about the worst aerodynamics on the market (probably due to the big fat carbon spokes), so there is that.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Kitty: ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its gonna be fun in PO after Election Day.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Who rides Giant wheels? No one I know. In fact, I've never seen a set of Giant wheels. I would not buy those based solely on that observation.

I owned Mavic R-SYS SLR wheels and recently sold them. Frankly, I really liked them, but sent them twice to Mavic for repair/service. First for excessive (I thought) play in the hubs, and a second time because I broke a drive side aluminum spoke while riding on a flat, smooth local rode.

Mavic told me the play was normal, and that I should use the Mavic skewers, which I had not been using. Doing so reduced the play somewhat, so I write that off to OCD.

However, I lost trust in the durability of the spokes when I broke one after owning them for less than a year. I didn't want to be stranded, and I decided I didn't want to ride wheels that my local shops preferred to send to Mavic for repair, so I sold them.

I like the Dura Ace wheels suggestion. I would also toss a custom build using HED Belgium rims into the mix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Preference in this order:
    Dura Ace
    Giant
    (something else)
    Mavic

Mainly because the Mavics don't exhibit the reliability that you'd want in a wheel (countless reports of the freehub getting 'draggy' thanks to a plastic bushing in there) and their absolutely terribly aerodynamics. Let's be clear, weight matters very little. If you want a fast wheel, the single most important factor is the aerodynamics.

I give the Shimanos the nod over the Giant despite the Giants being custom-built by DT Swiss because Shimano's carbon-aluminum wheels are absolutely astoundingly good in every respect. Tough, lightweight, low inertia, good aerodynamics, outstanding bearings and freehub, and a REALLY strong track record.
    Last edited by nhluhr; 07-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Who rides Giant wheels? No one I know. In fact, I've never seen a set of Giant wheels. I would not buy those based solely on that observation.
    I used to ride Giant wheels. They were not as bad as you make them sound lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I saw the new PSLR wheels today while at the LBS. They look insane. They were on the Marianne Voss edition bike that is launching this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Remember the pslr are dtswiss 240 hubs, so they are 11spd upgradable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
    I used to ride Giant wheels. They were not as bad as you make them sound lol
    I never said they were bad. I said no one I know rides them, nor have I ever seen a set.

I live in Los Angeles. Lots of riders.

They may be the best wheels going, but due to the lack of feedback from local riders and bike shop owners whose opinions I trust, I wouldn't buy them.

If the OP has some direct positive feedback from riders experienced with the Giant wheels he's considering (note I didn't say from his LBS owner who has a vested interest in selling a set), then he should take those opinions under strong advisement.

Hope that clears things up.

Here's to smooth roads and dry, sunny days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    So i went with.....

Ksyrium SLS, another local shop had a set and weight wise they are with in 35g of the R-SYS wheels. Thing that kills me is shops want to push wheels they dont even stock, so here I am going into a store I have spent well close to $20k over the last 3 years with and they are pushing a wheel on me they dont even stock.

for some reason I am a tactile person, I want to be able to touch the wheel before I spend $1000 on it.

In the end I am happy with the decision, with the new wheels and a Ultegra 11-28 cassette I took the bike from 19.6 to 18.5. So dropped a little over a pound of weight and the wheels made a huge differance in climbing and getting them to roll compaired to the Cosmic Elites they replaced.

May end up buying the Shimano Durace''s for the wifes bike after the beginning of the year so I can try them out as well. She is getting into cycling pretty hard so I think she will appreciate the unsprung weight loss and the improvement in her hill climbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tom93r1 View Post
    You will find a lot of hate for the Mavic wheels on this forum for some reason. I have a set of Ksyrium SLR which is the same wheels except the front has bladed metal spoke instead of carbon. I am quite happy with them. If you search for that wheel you will find more info.
    They are over hyped, overrated, over priced and a lot of people don't want to live with Mavic's proprietary crap. People who have owned wheels other than Mavic have learned for the most part they are average.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Other than the spoke issues with my Cosmic Elites which can be easily fixed I have never had any issues with Mavic wheels nor have any of my other friends that ride on them as well.

Wheels are like underware, seems to be alot of choices and the decision is very personal. I didnt have anyone local I know of to build a set of customer wheels plus then you have no warranty other than on the hubs, at least with a factory built wheel you have a warranty.

Just wish more dealers offered the option to order the wheel in and test ride on it, but then it is used and they are out the wheel in the LBS inventory.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    Other than the spoke issues with my Cosmic Elites which can be easily fixed I have never had any issues with Mavic wheels nor have any of my other friends that ride on them as well.
    I'd say Cosmics are a much better wheel overall. Steel spokes with normal nipples and an aero profile rim. However, like most pre-built aero alloy wheels, they are a little on the heavy side and these still suffer from the Mavic freehub that tends to grow a bit draggy after several thousand miles.

Personally, the choice between R-Sys and Cosmic Elite - I'd choose the Cosmic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    I have been trying to find a pair of P-SLR1's at decent prices, where did you get yours?

Thanks,
    -Ari

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Wow, 17 posts into a thread about R-SYS wheels, and no one has yet mentioned that they tend to explode while riding. To wit:

R-Sys Explosion - CyclingNews Forum

A shattering experience - A post-recall, R-Sys wheel failure - VeloNews.com

Another exploding R-Sys - Weight Weenies

Yes, that was half a decade ago. However, the basic R-SYS design of using carbon spokes under compressive load is still in place. I am shocked that in 2013 Mavic still doggedly sells them. Even if they were safe, their worst-ever aerodynamic properties totally DNQ them in my mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014

Where did you get yours? and price

Where did you get yours? and price

Quote Originally Posted by r1lee View Post
    the Giants recently went on sale, i believe they maybr unloading their wheels. Some of the 2014 bikes aside from the Propel do not come with them anymore.

I recently picked up a PSLR-1 Aero's at a very good discount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    What you don't know Giant is a giant manufacturer and makes product for many other bikes company......great products and price point....

Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post

I owned Mavic R-SYS SLR wheels and recently sold them. Frankly, I really liked them, but sent them twice to Mavic for repair/service. First for excessive (I thought) play in the hubs, and a second time because I broke a drive side aluminum spoke while riding on a flat, smooth local rode.

Mavic told me the play was normal, and that I should use the Mavic skewers, which I had not been using. Doing so reduced the play somewhat, so I write that off to OCD.

However, I lost trust in the durability of the spokes when I broke one after owning them for less than a year. I didn't want to be stranded, and I decided I didn't want to ride wheels that my local shops preferred to send to Mavic for repair, so I sold them.

I like the Dura Ace wheels suggestion. I would also toss a custom build using HED Belgium rims into the mix.

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    They are over hyped, overrated, over priced and a lot of people don't want to live with Mavic's proprietary crap. People who have owned wheels other than Mavic have learned for the most part they are average.
    Yep. Pretty much this. I've owned many Mavic wheels and still own 3 pairs. I think "average" is the best description of them.

My hand built DT Swiss Rims on White T11 hubs blow away my Mavic wheels, frankly. Not to mention being much cheaper as well. But the Mavic SLRs do look cool.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    the R-sys does get aluminum alloy spokes (Zircal).

haven't had issues with the stainless steel spokes on the Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Yeo, and those Zircal spokes are fragile...lol

I broke two of them on the Mavic wheels in less than 200 miles, then got a nice 6 week run around from Mavic on getting the wheels repaired (spokes + the destroyed freehub). Luckily the shop swapped me over to some Reynolds wheels.

Muahahaha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wines of WA View Post
    Wow, 17 posts into a thread about R-SYS wheels, and no one has yet mentioned that they tend to explode while riding. To wit:

R-Sys Explosion - CyclingNews Forum

A shattering experience - A post-recall, R-Sys wheel failure - VeloNews.com

Another exploding R-Sys - Weight Weenies

Yes, that was half a decade ago. However, the basic R-SYS design of using carbon spokes under compressive load is still in place. I am shocked that in 2013 Mavic still doggedly sells them.

Even if they were safe, their worst-ever aerodynamic properties totally DNQ them in my mind.
    Yup. Fat, totally non-aero (anti-aero?) spokes, proprietary parts, overpriced, questionable safety record, and a company that seems to be coasting on its past glory.

What's not to love?
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Kitty: ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its gonna be fun in PO after Election Day.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind