Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I rode it for a few years...til I cut a tire so bad it wouldn't seal. As you say it was a big mess. Ditched it as soon as I got home, been using normal tires and tubes every since. Tubeless is great on mountain bikes but for me it's not worth the hassle on the road, even if it only happens once every couple of years.
    But, you don't have to use sealant. Is there an advantage of tubeless over tubed if sealant isn't used?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    But, you don't have to use sealant. Is there an advantage of tubeless over tubed if sealant isn't used?
    Theoretically ... lighter weight and lower rolling resistance, but that's not always the case. It would be more or less similar to a tubular tire at that point.
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    MTB it works so well it is a standard (basically-floor bikes come tubed due to the shelf life of sealant). You can use tires not even designed as tubeless, that is how well non-UST works.
    Actually that's wrong. They come with tubeless rims, but that's where it ends. They don't come with the tubeless rimstrips nor do they come with TLR tires. Another way for the manufacturer to save a few bucks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I think if I were to go into a tubeless road system, I would buy the Mavic wheels. They solve the problem of difficult to mount and dismount tubeless tires and thus the system is superior to any competing systems. Choice of tires is the same problem with the existing Shimano-Hutchinson system.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Tubeless just seems to make sense, unless you are switching between training and race tires constantly. Sure, the set-up is a hassle and can be a bit of a mess, but advantages if you get it set up right:
    1. No pinch flats
    2. Small punctures seal up on their own
    3. Theoretical potential for lower rolling resistance and minor weight savings

The only real downside I can think of is that you might have a mess on your hands if you get a large puncture and sealant sprays everywhere, but a puncture that large would be a bad day for me whether or not I was running tubeless, and as wookie noted, would probably result in a ride in the car regardless of whether you were running tubeless or tubed.

Regarding the OP, the Mavic system sounds like it's got great potential if everything works as advertised; they seem to have worked out the set-up and reliability kinks while maintaining all the advantages of a tubeless setup. I'm planning on using the Ksyrium Elite UST wheelset as training wheels on my upcoming TCR disc build, so will have some hands on feedback in a few months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubbycosmos View Post
    Tubeless just seems to make sense, unless you are switching between training and race tires constantly. Sure, the set-up is a hassle and can be a bit of a mess, but advantages if you get it set up right:
    1. No pinch flats
    2. Small punctures seal up on their own
    3. Theoretical potential for lower rolling resistance and minor weight savings

The only real downside I can think of is that you might have a mess on your hands if you get a large puncture and sealant sprays everywhere, but a puncture that large would be a bad day for me whether or not I was running tubeless, and as wookie noted, would probably result in a ride in the car regardless of whether you were running tubeless or tubed.

Regarding the OP, the Mavic system sounds like it's got great potential if everything works as advertised; they seem to have worked out the set-up and reliability kinks while maintaining all the advantages of a tubeless setup. I'm planning on using the Ksyrium Elite UST wheelset as training wheels on my upcoming TCR disc build, so will have some hands on feedback in a few months.
    Thanks and I agree. I haven't updated this thread in a while, but I have been running road tubeless for over 200 miles at this point and I love it (Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tires are amazing, also running Prime Tubeless rims). I have tried a bunch of different tire pressure combinations and have had no problems at all. I haven't had any pinch flats or small punctures either. Thus far, I see no reason to go back to tubes full time. We'll see if my opinion changes if I have some massive blowout or something, but right now, I am very pleased.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubbycosmos View Post
    ....the Mavic system sounds like it's got great potential if everything works as advertised......
    Not to beat up on Mavic.....again, but somehow, I don't see these two things I bolded as able to be used in the same sentence.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Not to beat up on Mavic.....again, but somehow, I don't see these two things I bolded as able to be used in the same sentence.
    Which, of course, constitutes beating up on Mavic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    No reason to believe it won't work as advertised. I'll have their tires on my ENVEs when my Zipp RT25s wear out in about 1400mi. I imagine they will go on easy without levers, seat easily. With the slightly looser bead, the initial seal will be a little worse until sealant is added, but after that it'll behave like just about any other tubeless tire.

With UST rims, the experience will be a lot more consistent without having to mess with different kinds of tubeless tapes with different thicknesses.

The only issues I could see is higher minimum pressures because the smaller bead will be easier to burp. We're talking like 50psi on a 25mm tire and specifically squeezing the sidewalls off the hooks... For now I'm impressed. All it took was getting the tolerances right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Mavic no longer stands for quality, so now they have to rely on gimmicks and a proprietary system that locks you into buying only Mavic.
    I'm with you. Quality products they are no longer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I would agree that tubeless doesn't seem like it's worth the hassles. Then again, I have never tried it - on road or mountain. Who knows, if I did, I might actually go "Whoa, I can't believe I was missing this!". Though from what I can see from others I've seen deal with it, I'm in no rush to try it.
    MTB is where it excels. Allowing lower pressure and greater grip on the dirt and rock. I have tried it on both road and mtb. I notice little difference on road sans a little tube weight once minus the sealant weight.

Where tubeless really kicks ass is on wider tires, especially fat bike type 4+ and 5.0 widths. Just my feelings on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    MTB is where it excels. Allowing lower pressure and greater grip on the dirt and rock. I have tried it on both road and mtb. I notice little difference on road sans a little tube weight once minus the sealant weight.

Where tubeless really kicks ass is on wider tires, especially fat bike type 4+ and 5.0 widths. Just my feelings on it.
    This is pretty much entirely opposite my experience. I have had one unsealable puncture since going tubeless a year ago when I used to get punctures 1-2x a month on terrible California urban roads. The unsealable puncture was a 1/4" screw that went through the top of the tire, deflecting off my rim bed and then exiting through the sidewall. All other punctures from glass shards, splinters, goatheads, etc. have been sealed permanently without having to abort my ride. 90% of the punctures are sealed without me having to stop. For bigger punctures I have my DynaPlug Racer.

As for hassles? With the new Zipp and Mavic tires, the installation process is dead simple...no levers needed. I seat my tires with a regular high-pressure (not even high-volume) Lezyne track pump and I use generic green powder coating masking tape from Amazon that costs $6.50 for a 72yd roll. For the first time in years, I actually have to replace my tires because the tread wears out rather than because of punctures. When I need to replace the tire, I just take a paper towel and wipe away leftover sealant that is loosely adhered to the underside of the bead hooks.

So yeah, if you ride exclusively on immaculate tarmac, go ahead and run tubulars if you want. Just know you're getting worse rolling resistance, worse aerodynamics and less puncture resistance in the off-chance.

I seriously don't get why there's so much resistance to progress.
    Last edited by ceugene; 08-14-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12