Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mavic Tires?

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Slow? Really??
    I know, makes no sense based on the tests, but maybe "slow" was too strong a word. Slower than the Contis I went back to. Riding over the same routes under the same conditions I was about 1/2 MPH faster on the Contis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    I know, makes no sense based on the tests, but maybe "slow" was too strong a word. Slower than the Contis I went back to. Riding over the same routes under the same conditions I was about 1/2 MPH faster on the Contis.
    I really cannot believe those two choices of tires have a 1/2mph average difference between them. There are other variables like wind speed and direction. Are you sure all other things were equal?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    I really cannot believe those two choices of tires have a 1/2mph average difference between them. There are other variables like wind speed and direction. Are you sure all other things were equal?
    Well, I can't say that barometric pressure and other weather variables were in perfect sync, but I have a few routes I ride a lot for fitness, so I'm talking about several samples for each route over a three week period. After all that, yes, the Contis were faster. And yes, I know this sounds strange, but "them's the facts." Well, the facts for me, my bike, and those roads. And I doubt my fitness level varied too much since I made the switch late in the season.

Anyway, I'm sticking with Contis. Aside from feeling sluggish, I didn't like the feel of them cornering, either. The Contis felt more sure-footed to me. Maybe it was those ribs on the Vittorias, maybe the rubber, maybe the sidewalls, whatever. We all make choices and the Vittorias aren't for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I can't say that barometric pressure and other weather variables were in perfect sync, but I have a few routes I ride a lot for fitness, so I'm talking about several samples for each route over a three week period. After all that, yes, the Contis were faster. And yes, I know this sounds strange, but "them's the facts." Well, the facts for me, my bike, and those roads. And I doubt my fitness level varied too much since I made the switch late in the season.

Anyway, I'm sticking with Contis. Aside from feeling sluggish, I didn't like the feel of them cornering, either. The Contis felt more sure-footed to me. Maybe it was those ribs on the Vittorias, maybe the rubber, maybe the sidewalls, whatever. We all make choices and the Vittorias aren't for me.
    In the end, all that matters is what works for the rider in question.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Designed specially for front use, the Yksion Pro GripLink Tire offers maximum control and handling.

Mavic's special "S+" added Silica rubber compound grips the road and doesn't let go, inspiring confident corning in wet or dry conditions. A grooved tread delivers exceptional traction in wet or dry conditions. A Kevlar breaker helps prevent punctures without adding extra weight, and the 127 TPI nylon casing ensures a lively ride quality.

The Yksion Pro GripLink Tire is available in 700c x 23mm (23-622 ISO) and 700c x 25mm (25-622 ISO). Folding bead. Claimed weight: 190 grams (23mm version). Black with White logos. Mavic recommends filling the Yksion tire with the Mavic engineered bullshitium tire propellant available at participating Mavic retailers.

Designed specifically for rear use, the Yksion Pro PowerLink Tire places speed and responsiveness first.

The dual compound tread features a harder 70a compound on in the center of tire to minimize rolling resistance. A softer 60a compound on the shoulders increases cornering control. The grooved tread helps displace water and further traction in wet conditions. A nylon reinforced breaker helps prevent punctures without adding extra weight, and the 127 TPI nylon casing ensures a lively ride quality.

The Yksion Pro PowerLink Tire is available in 700c x 23mm (23-622 ISO) and 700c x 25mm (25-622 ISO). Folding bead. Claimed weight: 190 grams (23mm version). Black with White logos. Mavic recommends filling the Yksion tire with the Mavic engineered bullshitium tire propellant available at participating Mavic retailers.
    This sounds just like what I've been looking for, but do you know if it will work with non Mavic tires mounted on non Mavic rims?
    Too old to ride plastic

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    In the end, all that matters is what works for the rider in question.
    Exactly, which is why it's so hard to recommend things like tires and, especially, saddles to other riders. My weight and riding style may cause totally different results than a lighter rider on a different bike, so I just go with what works for me, including that Brooks C17 saddle. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a set of the Yksions Pros. The front Griplink and rear is Powerlink. I really dig them and I like the way they corner slightly better than the GP4KS2 tires when I'm racing crits. They don't last nearly as long as the Conti's but they are lighter too. When my Original pair wore out, I was able to pick up another set from my LBS last time. I just recently replaced them and had to go on Amazon to buy them, as no shop carries them anymore. I was told that Mavic is no longer going to be selling these; You'll only get them as part of the wheel packages now. I can't complain either way. They met my needs very well, but there are other options.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    I have a set of the Yksions Pros. The front Griplink and rear is Powerlink. I really dig them and I like the way they corner slightly better than the GP4KS2 tires when I'm racing crits. They don't last nearly as long as the Conti's but they are lighter too. When my Original pair wore out, I was able to pick up another set from my LBS last time. I just recently replaced them and had to go on Amazon to buy them, as no shop carries them anymore. I was told that Mavic is no longer going to be selling these; You'll only get them as part of the wheel packages now. I can't complain either way. They met my needs very well, but there are other options.
    Odd that they'd say that since they still sell them via their web site:

https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/road-an...lon/tires.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Odd that they'd say that since they still sell them via their web site:

https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/road-an...lon/tires.html
    And it's hard to imagine a company going though the trouble of offering a wear item and being dumb enough to sell it only through though a business model what insures they will only sell it once to a person. They can't possible think anyone is going to go out and buy new wheels then the tires wear out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12