Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mavic Tires?

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014

Mavic Tires?

Mavic sells their wheels with tires included and I'm curious if anyone has some experience with them. Any good? Comparable to Conti GP 4000s II tires?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I somehow doubt it. Mavic wheels are over priced marketed hype -- why would their tires be any different? Of course they have to have some silly name that rhymes with Ksyrium. Who thinks of this cr@p?

.je
    Old man yells at cloud
    Aug 2012
    Mavic has tires made by Hutchinson for the last few years at least, but I remember hearing that they were before this as well. I have only used the Aksion tires, and they're OK, I guess, for 60TPI tires. They felt better than Zaffiro Pros, but have less rubber and way, way less flat protection. Faster? IDK, IDI.

You may also find information here, Glory Cycles Product Reviews: Mavic Tire Review - Yksion Powerlink and Griplink , but I googled that, and so would have anyone.
    Last edited by .je; 01-14-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I somehow doubt it. Mavic wheels are over priced marketed hype -- why would their tires be any different? Of course they have to have some silly name that rhymes with Ksyrium. Who thinks of this cr@p?
    I guess every brand will have their haters, but Mavic has been around a longtime and their wheels get good reviews. Also, many who ride them seem to really like them. I doubt they're crap.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    I guess every brand will have their haters, .
    I ain't the only one around here ...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nothing wrong with Mavic stuff.... if you ignore the price. Inevitably, most of us can't do that. You can always get equal or better stuff than Mavic for considerably less money.

I had some of those Yksion tires. They were fine. If someone gave them to me, I'd use them again. But they're no GP 4000s. Which if it were my money, that's what I buy.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Nothing wrong with Mavic stuff.... if you ignore the price. Inevitably, most of us can't do that. You can always get equal or better stuff than Mavic for considerably less money.

I had some of those Yksion tires. They were fine. If someone gave them to me, I'd use them again. But they're no GP 4000s. Which if it were my money, that's what I buy.
    Thanks, that's what I suspected.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Vittoria Corsa G+ -- best tire I've ever ridden, and I'm someone who usually doesn't feel a big difference in tires. They're way nicer than the Conti 4000s I was riding. Ribble has them for $38, which is a good price. I'd pay twice that for them if I had to.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/vitto...yre/#pid=30363

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Don't they only make 23mm? If so that rules them out being good or preferred choice for a lot of people. Probably the vast majority now-a-days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Ribble lists 23 and 25

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Don't they only make 23mm? If so that rules them out being good or preferred choice for a lot of people. Probably the vast majority now-a-days.
    Corsa G+ are available in 23, 25 and 28 mm. Excel sports is where I go.

The corsa speed are the ones only available in 23 mm. Vittoria are expected to come out with a 25 mm in march.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Vittoria Corsa G+ -- best tire I've ever ridden, and I'm someone who usually doesn't feel a big difference in tires. They're way nicer than the Conti 4000s I was riding. Ribble has them for $38, which is a good price. I'd pay twice that for them if I had to.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/vitto...yre/#pid=30363
    I tried those last summer and didn't care for them. The rode nice, but felt really sluggish. I tried different pressures but they were slow. Just my experience. I went back to the Contis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    The rode nice, but felt really sluggish.
    Feelings don't count for much. How were they against the clock? I used to ride weekly 10 mile (16 km) time trials from May through September, and so collected years of experience on the effect of tires on TT speeds. I remember one tire that felt pretty squishy, but guess what: zero effect on speed.

If we took up a collection for every time someone "felt" the effect of one component or another, this site could be provided free with zero advertising. We all own timing devices, so the answer when something "feels" faster or slower is to put it against the clock. Facts trump feelings every time.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Feelings don't count for much. How were they against the clock? I used to ride weekly 10 mile (16 km) time trials from May through September, and so collected years of experience on the effect of tires on TT speeds. I remember one tire that felt pretty squishy, but guess what: zero effect on speed.

If we took up a collection for every time someone "felt" the effect of one component or another, this site could be provided free with zero advertising. We all own timing devices, so the answer when something "feels" faster or slower is to put it against the clock. Facts trump feelings every time.
    My average speeds increased when I switched back to the Contis. It wasn't just my feelings, trust me. For whatever reason, the Vittorias didn't work for me. Which is a shame since the ride was pretty supple and handling was grippy and sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess every brand will have their haters, but Mavic has been around a longtime and their wheels get good reviews. Also, many who ride them seem to really like them. I doubt they're crap.
    You my want to read some of these reviews below and then rethink what you just said:

wheelsets - clincher Reviews - RoadbikeReview.com
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You my want to read some of these reviews below and then rethink what you just said:

wheelsets - clincher Reviews - RoadbikeReview.com
    Yeah, lots of good reviews there, really. But the sample size is small. The reviews I was referring to are the pro reviews where Mavics are given high marks. Like this one:

Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL C wheels | VeloNews.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, lots of good reviews there, really. But the sample size is small. The reviews I was referring to are the pro reviews where Mavics are given high marks. Like this one:

Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL C wheels | VeloNews.com
    This is a new product review. Performance wise, there is no reason to believe these won't be good........until something goes wrong.

The wheels you specifically mention aren't listed on RBR user reviews. However, if you look at plenty of the other Mavic wheels with large review samples, you will see there is much to be desired.

For the money and long term reliability, there are much better choices than Mavic.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This is a new product review. Performance wise, there is no reason to believe these won't be good........until something goes wrong.

The wheels you specifically mention aren't listed on RBR user reviews. However, if you look at plenty of the other Mavic wheels with large review samples, you will see there is much to be desired.

For the money and long term reliability, there are much better choices than Mavic.
    True, but reliability isn't the reason I won't be buying Mavic. For better or worse they don't recommend using anyone's tires but their own brand. Probably just BS, but they turned me off completely with that statement. I'm still in the market for a second set of wheels, but won't be buying for a month or two, at the earliest. Until then, i can continue to obsess.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Consider obsessing on a set of custom built wheels made for the type of rider you are and riding that you do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Consider obsessing on a set of custom built wheels made for the type of rider you are and riding that you do.
    This.

And even if you don't want to go the custom route, there are some nice high end wheels from Shimano that are much better than Mavic.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    True, but reliability isn't the reason I won't be buying Mavic. For better or worse they don't recommend using anyone's tires but their own brand. Probably just BS......
    I can't say I've ever heard that Mavic doesn't recommend using anybody else's tires. I would say...........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic Tires?-stop.jpg  

-- Warren Buffett

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Designed specially for front use, the Yksion Pro GripLink Tire offers maximum control and handling.

Mavic's special "S+" added Silica rubber compound grips the road and doesn't let go, inspiring confident corning in wet or dry conditions. A grooved tread delivers exceptional traction in wet or dry conditions. A Kevlar breaker helps prevent punctures without adding extra weight, and the 127 TPI nylon casing ensures a lively ride quality.

The Yksion Pro GripLink Tire is available in 700c x 23mm (23-622 ISO) and 700c x 25mm (25-622 ISO). Folding bead. Claimed weight: 190 grams (23mm version). Black with White logos. Mavic recommends filling the Yksion tire with the Mavic engineered bullshitium tire propellant available at participating Mavic retailers.

Designed specifically for rear use, the Yksion Pro PowerLink Tire places speed and responsiveness first.

The dual compound tread features a harder 70a compound on in the center of tire to minimize rolling resistance. A softer 60a compound on the shoulders increases cornering control. The grooved tread helps displace water and further traction in wet conditions. A nylon reinforced breaker helps prevent punctures without adding extra weight, and the 127 TPI nylon casing ensures a lively ride quality.

The Yksion Pro PowerLink Tire is available in 700c x 23mm (23-622 ISO) and 700c x 25mm (25-622 ISO). Folding bead. Claimed weight: 190 grams (23mm version). Black with White logos. Mavic recommends filling the Yksion tire with the Mavic engineered bullshitium tire propellant available at participating Mavic retailers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They're way nicer than the Conti 4000s I was riding.
    Way nicer if you like changing flats. This stupid grooves are a magnet for picking up thorns and what not.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Way nicer if you like changing flats. This stupid grooves are a magnet for picking up thorns and what not.
    I never flatted one out, even though I was worried about that, especially in the rain. They rode nice, too. But slow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I never flatted one out, even though I was worried about that, especially in the rain. They rode nice, too. But slow.
    Slow? Really??

-- Warren Buffett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast