RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Mavic Yskion Pro UST tire work on non-Mavic rim?

Hello,

Considering a Mavic Yskion Pro UST 25mm tire for my DT Swiss rr411 DB tubeless rims.

I was wondering if anyone has experience using these tires on rims that are not Mavic.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I am using them right now on a pair of Alto CCX40 hookless rims.

The literature on the Mavic website says the tire can be inflated to 110psi. Also says tires can be inflated to 110psi on their hookless rims. Turns out Mavic changed the spec and the sidewalls of these tires say 102psi max now.

When I was performing my initial set-up, I inflated the tire to 110psi. 5 minutes later the tire blew off the rim and shot sealant out in a cone about 10 feet. Partially my mistake I guess, since the sidewall lists 102psi max and the tires balloon to 28mm on the Alto rims too.

I don't dare inflate the tires to 102psi even. I ride them at 60/70psi front/rear and they seem a bit harsh for some reason. Cornering grip seems really good. Rolling efficiency? Can't tell.

These are very light tires. I measured them at 253g. The only lighter tubeless tires I've weighed are 25mm Hutchinson Fusion Galactik TLR 11Storm at 220g and 23mm Vittoria Corsa Speeds at 225g.

Will they blow off hooked rims at 110psi? No idea. I doubt it, but there's no reason to ever inflate a 25mm tubeless tire past 90psi anyway.
    Last edited by ceugene; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:57 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    I am using them right now on a pair of Alto CCX40 hookless rims.

The literature on the Mavic website says the tire can be inflated to 110psi. Also says tires can be inflated to 110psi on their hookless rims. Turns out Mavic changed the spec and the sidewalls of these tires say 102psi max now.

When I was performing my initial set-up, I inflated the tire to 110psi. 5 minutes later the tire blew off the rim and shot sealant out in a cone about 10 feet. Partially my mistake I guess, since the sidewall lists 102psi max and the tires balloon to 28mm on the Alto rims too.

I don't dare inflate the tires to 102psi even. I ride them at 60/70psi front/rear and they seem a bit harsh for some reason. Cornering grip seems really good. Rolling efficiency? Can't tell.

These are very light tires. I measured them at 253g. The only lighter tubeless tires I've weighed are 25mm Hutchinson Fusion Galactik TLR 11Storm at 220g and 23mm Vittoria Corsa Speeds at 225g.

Will they blow off hooked rims at 110psi? No idea. I doubt it, but there's no reason to ever inflate a 25mm tubeless tire past 90psi anyway.
    You've got to consider the accuracy of uncalibrated pressure gages. 110 vs 102? That's so close anyway. Continental says their tubed tires blow off at twice the maximum pressure rating on the sidewall. Now that's a safety factor!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Iíll measure later with a second pump. In the GCN video featuring the Mavic UST road offerings, the Yksion blew off the dummy wheel at 170 psi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    If you think that "over pumping" by 8 psi caused that tire to blow off the rim, you are very confused. Aside from the point another poster made that your tire gauge could easily not be accurate enough to tell you the difference, tires/rims are designed with MUCH more safety factor than that.

Your problem was a defective tire, a defective rim, or operator error. Since you have since redone this at "102 psi" and not had a blow-off, smart money is on operator error on the first install.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    If you think that "over pumping" by 8 psi caused that tire to blow off the rim, you are very confused. Aside from the point another poster made that your tire gauge could easily not be accurate enough to tell you the difference, tires/rims are designed with MUCH more safety factor than that.

Your problem was a defective tire, a defective rim, or operator error. Since you have since redone this at "102 psi" and not had a blow-off, smart money is on operator error on the first install.
    I'd also wonder if he surpassed the maximum pressure of the rim with no bead hooks.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I'd also wonder if he surpassed the maximum pressure of the rim with no bead hooks.
    Iíve already provided the answers to both your assumptions in earlier replies.

The hookless rims are advertised with a max of 110psi. My thoughts are that the hookless nature of the rim and the pretty loose nature of the Mavic UST bead presents a perfect storm situation. Thereís no real way to mess up installing the tire on a hookless rim. Itís not like I forgot to slip a section of the tire over the non-existent hooks.

When initial seating was done, the bead snapped into place along the bead-lock interface with several pings/cracks. There was no bulging anywhere along the rimís edge. I think the fact that Mavic reduced the maximum rated tire pressure on the tire from press announcement to production is a hint that 110psi was outside of their acceptable safety cushion for random non-UST rims.

I also used a second pump and a digital gauge to read the results of both. I inflated with both pumps to 80psi on the gauges multiple times, removed the chucks and measured with the gauge. 78.1, 78.1, 79.0, 78.4, 78.5, 78.1, etc. psi. I think the pump gauges are reasonably accurate. The low readings are just from the variability in lost air when I pop the chuck off.

Could either component be defective? Maybe? The rims previously held a pair of IRC Formula Pro Light file tread tires for over 24 hours at ~110psi, but they definitely have a tighter circumference and fatter bead than the Mavics.

The Mavics are still mounted to the rims now, though I pump them up to reasonable tubeless tire pressures for a system weight of 160lbs total: 60/70psi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    So Mavic UST tires work tubeless on non-Mavic but tubeless rims?

My tubeless DT Swiss db rr411 hrim ave a bead hook.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Man, when did bike tires get so complicated?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Man, when did bike tires get so complicated?
    Lack of standardization. Typical in the bicycle industry. If anything, they should have gotten this tubeless thing right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Iíve already provided the answers to both your assumptions in earlier replies.

The hookless rims are advertised with a max of 110psi. My thoughts are that the hookless nature of the rim and the pretty loose nature of the Mavic UST bead presents a perfect storm situation. Thereís no real way to mess up installing the tire on a hookless rim. Itís not like I forgot to slip a section of the tire over the non-existent hooks.

When initial seating was done, the bead snapped into place along the bead-lock interface with several pings/cracks. There was no bulging anywhere along the rimís edge. I think the fact that Mavic reduced the maximum rated tire pressure on the tire from press announcement to production is a hint that 110psi was outside of their acceptable safety cushion for random non-UST rims.

I also used a second pump and a digital gauge to read the results of both. I inflated with both pumps to 80psi on the gauges multiple times, removed the chucks and measured with the gauge. 78.1, 78.1, 79.0, 78.4, 78.5, 78.1, etc. psi. I think the pump gauges are reasonably accurate. The low readings are just from the variability in lost air when I pop the chuck off.

Could either component be defective? Maybe? The rims previously held a pair of IRC Formula Pro Light file tread tires for over 24 hours at ~110psi, but they definitely have a tighter circumference and fatter bead than the Mavics.

The Mavics are still mounted to the rims now, though I pump them up to reasonable tubeless tire pressures for a system weight of 160lbs total: 60/70psi.
    I thought Mavic UST tubeless road used hooked rims, while they came out with mountain bike rims that were hookless? Are you mixing mountain rims with road tires?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    I thought Mavic UST tubeless road used hooked rims, while they came out with mountain bike rims that were hookless? Are you mixing mountain rims with road tires?
    Iím using Alto CCX40 road rims, which are hookless. Mentioned in my very first reply.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Iím using Alto CCX40 road rims, which are hookless. Mentioned in my very first reply.
    Sorry, I should have quoted your other posting where you said "Also says tires can be inflated to 110psi on their hookless rims." Can you provide a link to where you read this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Same could be said for headtube bearings, bb bearings, rear and front drop outs, wheel sizes, handlebar diameter. Also everything at this point

Russian Troll Farmer
    Lack of standardization. Typical in the bicycle industry. If anything, they should have gotten this tubeless thing right.
    Just out of curiosity, what's the state of tubless tires in motorcycles these days?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Sorry, I should have quoted your other posting where you said "Also says tires can be inflated to 110psi on their hookless rims." Can you provide a link to where you read this?
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/10/10...ess-rims-more/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

OK, I thought you wrote that Mavic said their tubeless tires can be used on hookless rims at 110 psi max. It was Alto Cycling saying that. You have to consider that Alto Cycling doesn't make tires so WTF do they know? Also, Mavic doesn't make hookless UST road rims. The Mavic tires have kevlar beads, which are stretchier than the carbon beads of other brand tubeless tires. No wonder they blew off on a hookless rim.