RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Michelin Latex not for sale in USA

I just installed some Michelin Pro 4's with their latex tubes and noticed on the tube box that they are not for sale in the USA. Just out of curiosity I wonder why not? They are not on the Michelin US website either.

Also, if their are any weight weenies reading this you may be interested that the latex tubes are claimed 75g but are actually 85g.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Michelin Latex not for sale in USA-latex-tube.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Looks like they're readily available here. you might have gotten a box with non-us compliant labeling?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Ah ha! I didn't think of the labeling. These ones came from the UK. That said just having a quick look at US sites, no one seems to have them anymore?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I've used these for a couple of years, and also could not find them in the US as of July(ish). I ordered them from wiggle.co.uk

banned
    Apr 2011
    why would you use latex tubes that weigh 85grams? what are the benefits of latex other than lightweihg? thought i've heard that they were somewhat more punctutre resistant, but not sure if that is true. you can get $4 butyl tubes that weigh less than 85 grams

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Pros: more supple ride, slightly more puncture resistant, fairly light, and slightly less rolling resistance.

Cons: they leak and air has to be topped off daily, they're expensive ($15-20 each).

I tried them, liked the way they felt, kept them on. It was a small change, mostly in ride, touch less harsh.

Tires are Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX 23mm at 100psi F / 105psi R.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by motobecane69 View Post
    why would you use latex tubes that weigh 85grams? what are the benefits of latex other than lightweihg? thought i've heard that they were somewhat more punctutre resistant, but not sure if that is true. you can get $4 butyl tubes that weigh less than 85 grams
    I used to use Conti Supersonics when I ran the GP4000s and GP4000 tyres, they weigh in at spot on 50g a tube, I had no punctures in well over 4 year. I wanted a slightly softer ride than the GP4000s so I'm trying the new Michelin Pro 4's (also just time to try something new) they weigh about 30g or less a tyre than the Conti's so I figured I may as well try their latex tubes as I might need the extra puncture resistance on these new tyres and overall weight will remain the same. I was also curious to see how the latex felt for myself. I pump up every day anyway so loosing a bit more air means nothing to me. I also paid about $10 per tube, the Conti's are a couple of dollars more than that. If I have good luck with the Michelin Pro4's puncture/cut wise I will put in some of the 50g conti tubes and see if I can feel the difference or get punctures. If they are just as good I'll ditch latex and that will be my setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I get mine at PBK. With discount codes, and the use of PBK points, I paid right at $10 each last time I bought them. Specialized lightweight LV butyl tubes are $9 at the LBS.

No brainer
    formerly "backinthesaddle"

Strava is Latin for 'bench-racing"

Banned forever.....or not
    What's with Michelin tubes?

Five years ago, you could get 70g butyl tubes, and the latex were 60g.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    What's with Michelin tubes?

Five years ago, you could get 70g butyl tubes, and the latex were 60g.
    Maybe they had too many failures with the thinner latex? But yes, I remember latex being lighter...