RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Michelin Power Competition Tires - How are they?

Well... it's been over an year since these tries came into market. Anyone use them? If yes, how are they? Are they better than the Pro4 SC or the mighty Conti 4K IIs?

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    I have friends on them, but haven't ridden them myself. They seem to like them a lot. Performance and durability appear to be very similar to the Contis. I have ridden the Power Endurance model, and really like them. Not as fast as the Contis, but more durable and they do ride nicely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    I have friends on them, but haven't ridden them myself. They seem to like them a lot. Performance and durability appear to be very similar to the Contis. I have ridden the Power Endurance model, and really like them. Not as fast as the Contis, but more durable and they do ride nicely.
    Thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    how do you know they're not as fast as the Contis?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    FWIW the Power Competition tested on rollers a Watt and change faster than the GP4000S II, at higher pressures, according to:

Road Bike Tire Comparison: Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Vs Michelin Power Competition

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Been riding Michelin Tires for ever. Never used anything else. Power Competition tires are awesome compared to SC4 Pro. Head and shoulders better wear and cut protection. I ride the same roads all the time and the Power Competition show less wear compared to SC4 over same mileage. Also these tires have wear indicators on tread. Can't compare to Conti but Michelin won best bike tire in last tire competition. Try'em out you won't be disappointed plus what's cooler than having Bib on the side of your tires?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    I was reading up on bike stuff yesterday and browsed again through Tom Anhalt's blog, there's an old but interesting post about Crr and aerodynamics of tires.

Comparing the GP4000S II to other tires, among which the Pro 4 SC, the Michelin basically was on par with the German tire as far aerodrag goes, but "took a hit" owing to its higher Crr.

Since the new tires match the GP4000 on Crr, it would be interesting to find out about the full picture now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I just did 20 mile test ride with my newly purchased Power Competition tires and I like the suppleness. It rides smoother than my Schwalbe One clincher at same tire pressure. Supposedly it has less rolling resistance than Schwalbe but it was hard to notice. More riding may be needed to figure it out.