Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Michelin Pro 4 vs Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX

I know the Michelin tire is new out, but what is everyone's thoughts on these two tires? I will be training and racing on these tires.
    Last edited by Mdrnizd; 01-02-2012 at 07:08 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    My only thought is that Conti's wear better than either of these. The Miches will be "sticky" and the Vittoria will be a really smooth ride but neither as durable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    ^^What Darwin said.

Haven't tried the new Pro 4's but the 3's grip and roll well, Vittoria's are really smooth, but Conti's GP's 4s's will wear much better. Got a set of the Corsa's on now...almost tubi ride quality, but dissapointed in their wear. Going back to Conti's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the replies. So the Pro 4's have more traction than the Corsa's?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The corsa's are awesome in every respect with the exception of wear.....they have been pretty flat resistant for me due to the high TPI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Yes, very sticky, but don't expect much durability.

Velocipediologist
    EVO Cx's ride great and corner with the best of them. However............they wear out fast and when there's even a hint of moisture on the road, it's like you strapped greased eels to your wheels. They squirm around and let go with NO warning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by metoou2 View Post
    EVO Cx's ride great and corner with the best of them. However............they wear out fast and when there's even a hint of moisture on the road, it's like you strapped greased eels to your wheels. They squirm around and let go with NO warning.
    I notice the Michelin's talk about wet weather traction, I wonder if they would be a lot better than the Evo Cx's on a wet road?

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    If your going to train and race on the same tire in any type of conditions then stick with the Michelins Pro 3 or 4.

Velocipediologist
    Mdrn,
    I have no knowledge about Michelin's in the wet. I'm sure someone will post with experiences. EVO Cx's are definitely the Jekyl and Hydes of the road tire world. They are the best dry weather tire I have ever ridden, the feel, the traction, cornering, very supple (meaning they have very LOW rolling resistance). They would be great for your sunny day bike. They wear a bit fast, but it's worth it.
    But when the rain comes and Mr. Hyde shows up, leave them at home. I went for (5) years with ZERO out of competition crashes. Bought some EVO's and crashed twice in six months while on training rides. The first crash the road was barely damp, the second crash, it was full on raining. Before I bought them I had no idea how they handled in the wet. You can search this Forum and others have had the same experience.
    by the way; Ribblecycles.co.uk is your low cost tire source and they ship to the States for peanuts.
    Last edited by metoou2; 01-09-2012 at 06:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Has anyone tried a set of the EVO 25's?

In theory one should get better wet gripping I would imagine.
    Last edited by askmass; 01-20-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Discover Muscle And Sports Science, the source for Legitimate,
    Patent Technology muscle, fitness & sports supplements.

Best Pricing on serious cyclist favorites like 'SportLegs', 'Kre-Alkalyn'
    and 'Burn It Up' with Peak ATP.

http://www.MuscleMASS.com

Since 1993, Your Success is our success.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    The Open Corsa is a very soft, pliable tire. Grips well and rides smooth but cuts up VERY easily. I would not train on it at all.

If the 4's are anything like the 3's then the Michelin's should provide a great balance between grip, smooth ride and durability.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    I recently threw on some Open Corsas. First ride, I was loving the road feel and supple ride. Then I hit some steep wet climbing and the rear broke loose several times where my trusty Conti 4000s would never have. I pulled them off. I loved the feel and don't really care bout how long it lasts. I guess I'll toss them on occasionally, when I know it will be dry. I'm back on the 4000 s. I'd like to try the new Michelin, though, as the 4000s is a bit of a rough ride. In the end, I think I'll settle on the Conti in a 25mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    The Mich's wear really badly from what ive used. Try a Schwable Ultremo ZX they are perfect or even a Durano

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakystuie View Post
    The Mich's wear really badly from what ive used. Try a Schwable Ultremo ZX they are perfect or even a Durano
    Really badly? Hmm mine have almost 2500 miles of aggressive mountain descend of them, but are beginning to square off. Given my aggessive riding, I thought they would be shot way before this.
    --------------------------------------------------

I find the Michelin Pro3 Race (they have Pro3 Tri too) race tires to be a pretty good balance between grip, comfort, and durability. Definitely a weekend/club racer kinda tire.

I'd have to say Grip of the Pro3 in the wet is superb. I've descended down all the hills of Malibu and all the mountain surrounding Socal in the wet, and have not crashed (yet). Granted, I do take it easy when it's wet (a typical long sweeper that I would normally take at 40 mph would be taken at 30 mph when it's wet).

The Conti GP4000 lasts longer than the Pro3, but the GP4000 does not inspire the same confidence in the wet as the Pro3.

I have not tried any of the Vittoria so I can't really comment on them. But keep in mind that when any rubber tires get wet, they also become softer. If the Vit is already soft to begin with, then it certainly will get softer when it gets wet, and a softer tire in the wet is normally a GOOD thing. But I guess in the case of the Vit, it may get too soft and hence slip out?

sidenote: I'm a Michelin guy because Michelin is 1 of 2 top tier tire makers in the world (the other is Bridgestone), and I figure some of their R&D in motorsport racing has to be trickled down into their bicycle tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I used Michelin Pro Race 2 & 3 for several years. Problems with wear & trend separation. Switched to Continental GP 4000. Longer lasting & no separation issues. Michelin Pro Race have better feel. I'll stick with the Conti's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikephelps View Post
    I used Michelin Pro Race 2 & 3 for several years. Problems with wear & trend separation. Switched to Continental GP 4000. Longer lasting & no separation issues. Michelin Pro Race have better feel. I'll stick with the Conti's.
    Been using Michelin forever and never a problem with tread seperation except when using old ones on my stationary trainer wheel.

Tried Continental GP 4000 a couple of years ago. Rode them about 50 miles before I took them off and sold them. Terrible ride for me, as in harsher and felt slower. Don't know if they were really slower but if they felt that way, then they were to me.

Have also tried the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX. Great ride for sure, but wasn't night and day different than my Michelins.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The truth of the matter is most of the people on this thread have NEVER ridden Pro 4's, and are just basing their experience on older Michelin tires.

I love the "Conti's wear better" quotes. These are always automatic responses by GP4000 users, even if they have no experience with the other brand of tire they are comparing.

EWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    The truth of the matter is most of the people on this thread have NEVER ridden Pro 4's, and are just basing their experience on older Michelin tires.

I love the "Conti's wear better" quotes. These are always automatic responses by GP4000 users, even if they have no experience with the other brand of tire they are comparing.
    How would you compare the Pro 4 to the GP4000s? I'm a Conti user, but don't have any particular brand allegiance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Has anyone tried the new Michelin Pro 4's?

I was riding the GP4000s and I am now on the Pro 4's, I will not be going back to the GP's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3000 View Post
    Has anyone tried the new Michelin Pro 4's?

I was riding the GP4000s and I am now on the Pro 4's, I will not be going back to the GP's.
    What do you like better about them? I ended up buying my first pair of GP4000s' and they definitely aren't the best riding tire and I flatted the first time out. I haven't had a flat in 8 months. haha

Are the Pro 4 Comp Service Course tires available yet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    The Comps aren't out yet, places are saying next months, but that has been moving!
    In short the ride quality of the Pro 4's is superior to the GP's. I have had great luck with no GP's puncturing on me and that was a huge plus for me and something I was worried about when changing away from them. So far the Pro 4's have been just as good in that department so win/win.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Vittorias better

Faster, higher quality, smoother riding

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwp38 View Post
    Faster, higher quality, smoother riding
    Have you ridden both?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Yes I've ridden both

Quote Originally Posted by sp3000 View Post
    Have you ridden both?
    Yes. Local riders have become a bit disenchanted with the Pro 3's and have switched to Conti 4000. We find we get a lot of 'glass' punctures with the Pro 3's.

I'm impressed by the Vittoria but to be fair it's double the price. We're probably not alone in only buying the tyres when discounted. I may be a bit of a cycling nut, but not enough to pay $250 for two tyres.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast