Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Michelin Pro3 vs Conti GP 4000

Looking to replace my tires to color match my bike. I'm leaning on MP3 since it is cheaper. I bike for fun and fitness and currently using GP4000 (700cx25) while both colored tires are available only on 700cx23. Any thoughts between the two?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Go by price

Quote Originally Posted by ARPRINCE View Post
    Looking to replace my tires to color match my bike. I'm leaning on MP3 since it is cheaper. I bike for fun and fitness and currently using GP4000 (700cx25) while both colored tires are available only on 700cx23. Any thoughts between the two?
    You will get lots of opinions both ways. Tires are a wear item. Get what you like based on color and price. Depending on your weight you may wish you had stayed with the 25mm tires, but when you wear out what you buy you can make a better decision next time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Maybe your definition of fun and fitness is a different type of riding than I imagine it to be but I would consider both to be poor choices. While they are durable by race tires standards they are race tires none the less which means thin and not as flat resistant as what generally makes sense for recreational riding. But hey if you know what you are getting into and that's what you really want that's fine and they are both good. Personally I like the Michelins a lot more than the contis. at least 50 percent of others who have tried both would say the opposite so I suppose you may as well flip a coin.

Rodie Persona
    GP 4000 race tires? Maybe, "not as flat resistant?" I can't buy into that one. Then again I think it comes does down to the rider. I have gone through at least 3 set of tires and thousands of miles with no flats since the summer of 2007 - not a single flat. I have used Cont GatorSkins and GP4000.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I just ordered a set of the Pro 3's when i get them on the bike ill let you know what i think of them.

Performance & Nashbar both have great reviews on them.
    2012 CAAD 8 105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I'd stick with the 25C tires and deal with not having the color match your bike. The ride is better and there may even be a bit of a performance gain from the larger tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    In my experience, the GP4000 is the more durable and longer lasting choice of the two. The Pro Race 3 is a more supple tire, but wears much more quickly and is more susceptible to punctures. So, I am more than willing to pay the extra coin for the longer lasting tire.

As always, others experiences may vary. However, I am interested in others reviews of the new Pro Race 4s. I understand that they are supposed to be more durable than the PR3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Can't beat the deals you find on the MPR3! $32 dollars each, gimmie 2 purrs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    General opinion seems to be that GP4000 is more durable while ProRace is smoother riding & a bit faster. At current web pricing looks like PR3 is almost 50% cheaper so that's what I'd get now.
    If you want even more durability (at cost of ride & speed) then consider Gatorskins, Specialized Armadillo, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I agree that the PR3 will ride better than the GP4000's. Don't believe they will last as long though....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesta View Post
    Can't beat the deals you find on the MPR3! $32 dollars each, gimmie 2 purrs.
    Where can I find a $32 MPR3? The cheapest I found is close to $38 with free shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Nashbar has them for 34.99 HERE
    2012 CAAD 8 105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    Nashbar has them for 34.99 HERE
    They didn't have the blue color.
    So I got suckered in. I got the PRO4 @ $49 (includes shipping) at e bay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I've used PR2s extensively, and have more recently used Conti 4000s. Word on the PR3s was that they weren't lasting as well as the PR2s, so I decided to give the Contis a try. Anecdotally, the 4000s holds up a lot better than the Michelins. On one of my bikes on which I've used both, I would have gone through two pairs of the Michelins in the miles I have on the Contis now, and they've still got a number of miles left in them. The front tire looks almost new, the rear is just starting to show flattening at the contact points. In my opinion, while they feel a bit different from one another, they both handle well. The other thing that I didn't like about the Michelins was that they seemed to be prone to getting little cuts all over them. Nothing that resulted in flats, but I was regularly fixing small cuts with glue. The Contis seem to be much more resistant to superficial cuts. They're both good tires, but I've been very happy with the Contis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I use the Michelin Pro3 Race on the front and the Conti GP 4000S on the rear. Has been a great combination for me. MP3 on the front was good for about 5k miles while the GP 4000S got about the same on the rear. I could have kept both on, but started getting more flats, so decided it was about time to change them both. The Conti doesn't feel as supple as the MP3, but will sacrifice a bit for the puncture resistance and wear characteristics of the GP 4000S.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Where can I find a $32 MPR3? The cheapest I found is close to $38 with free shipping.
    Jenson and Competitive Cyclist has them for $32. I paid 68 shipped for 2 tires from Jenson.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Bonktown's been running them for $29.99 recently, but in limited colors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jstillman View Post
    Bonktown's been running them for $29.99 recently, but in limited colors.
    Sweet deal!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I'm a huge fan of Conti 4000s tires but will definitely try the Pro3 at that price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I was talking to a guy who works at one the LBS around here and he told me that the Pro3's are going to be much more comfortable then the 4000's but the 4000's will last SLIGHTLY longer. Then he went on to say that if you want longevity and puncture resistance and not so much comfort then go with the Gator Skin's.
    2012 CAAD 8 105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    I was talking to a guy who works at one the LBS around here and he told me that the Pro3's are going to be much more comfortable then the 4000's but the 4000's will last SLIGHTLY longer. Then he went on to say that if you want longevity and puncture resistance and not so much comfort then go with the Gator Skin's.
    I would imagine that tire pressure and width (23 v 25) would have a larger impact on comfort when comparing similiar clincher tires of different brands.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I just ordered some ProRace 3's. All i have ever ridden is a heavy winter tire, so I'm looking forward to loosing the weight, but am a little concerned about FLATS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Pretty much covered, Pro3 is a smoother ride but the GP4000 lasts longer.
    I think it depends on your weight. I would say use GP4000 if you are heavier and Pro3 if you are lighter.
    I use GP4000 on my tandem but cannot tolerate them on my single.
    I have been using a Michelin Kylion on the rear and it is lasted well, but I think I am going back to the Pro3 as I miss the smooth ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Today I did a 20.48 mile ride with my new Pro 3's and these tires are MUCH better then the tires that came on my bike. I was cornering faster, riding faster, and the ride was much better even at 125-130 PSI.
    2012 CAAD 8 105

RoadBikeReview Member
    They didn't have the blue color.
    So I got suckered in. I got the PRO4 @ $49 (includes shipping) at e bay.
    I received them today. I'd mount them before the weekend. Can't wait!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast