Jno
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016

more wheel buying help sought

I am shopping for wheels and have been relying on the experienced folks here. I hope you’ll continue to humour me. I am interested in wider rims. I expect to use 25 mm tires but would like to be able to use 28mm. The problem is, I don’t know how to predict whether wheel “x”, with tire width “y will fit between my rim brakes, given the width of my forks.
    1. Assuming the rim and 25 mm tires will be very close to “flush”, is there a reliable measurement I can use to be sure in advance what the maximum width rim is that will fit between my rim brakes? I want to be sure I allow for flex, assuming that occurs at least to some degree.
    2. I assume the effective extra width of 28mm tire over 25mm depends on the width of the rim. Is there any way to anticipate that total width?

RoadBikeReview Member
    In most cases, it isn't brake clearance that limits your wheel/tire choices. Brakes can usually be adjusted. Your bike frame - usually between your chain stays - is your limiting factor. You will want to keep at least 3mm of clearance on each side or you could end of rubbing your tires against your stays when your frame and wheels flex on a climb.

Without seeing or knowing what kind of bike or wheels you have now, I would not hazard a guess on what you can and can't use.

What bike do you have? What width are you current wheels? How much clearance do you have now?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Jno
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    In most cases, it isn't brake clearance that limits your wheel/tire choices. Brakes can usually be adjusted. Your bike frame - usually between your chain stays - is your limiting factor. You will want to keep at least 3mm of clearance on each side or you could end of rubbing your tires against your stays when your frame and wheels flex on a climb.

Without seeing or knowing what kind of bike or wheels you have now, I would not hazard a guess on what you can and can't use.

What bike do you have? What width are you current wheels? How much clearance do you have now?
    I will measure the space between chain stays. Thanks
    p.s. Bianchi Infinito with Fulcrum 5 - 23 mm external rim, 25mm Conti tire.

changingleaf
    You don't want to forget the vertical clearance. I've seen tires clear frames and forks lateraly, but not on top of the tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    There's a graphic just past half way down this link that might help: Ardennes+ long term review - Slowtwitch.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jno View Post
    I will measure the space between chain stays. Thanks
    p.s. Bianchi Infinito with Fulcrum 5 - 23 mm external rim, 25mm Conti tire.
    External rim width is really a useless dimension. Internal width is what will determine how large your tire swells, so I will use that in my discussion below.

From my own experience, my 28mm tires were 28mm on my 15mm rims and 29mm on my 17-18mm rims. The Ardennes wheels that Jay sent the review for are almost 21mm. I am guessing this would probably add about 2mm of tire width over a 15mm rim.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jno View Post
    I am shopping for wheels and have been relying on the experienced folks here. I hope you’ll continue to humour me. I am interested in wider rims. I expect to use 25 mm tires but would like to be able to use 28mm. The problem is, I don’t know how to predict whether wheel “x”, with tire width “y will fit between my rim brakes, given the width of my forks.
    1. Assuming the rim and 25 mm tires will be very close to “flush”, is there a reliable measurement I can use to be sure in advance what the maximum width rim is that will fit between my rim brakes? I want to be sure I allow for flex, assuming that occurs at least to some degree.
    2. I assume the effective extra width of 28mm tire over 25mm depends on the width of the rim. Is there any way to anticipate that total width?
    TO summarize the comments from others, the answers to your questions are:

1. no

2. no

There have been numerous requests like this and nobody has yet produced a table showing tire width for every tire, every rim, at every pressure (not to mention new vs. old tire).

Jno
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    TO summarize the comments from others, the answers to your questions are:

1. no

2. no

There have been numerous requests like this and nobody has yet produced a table showing tire width for every tire, every rim, at every pressure (not to mention new vs. old tire).
    Funny and true but the advice has been helpful. Thanks again.