Sooper Dooper Moderator!

Are my carbon wheels about to fly apart?

I got my Reynolds MV32t's in August of 2007. They are great wheels. Light, aerodynamic and they climb beautifully.

But within the first month or so of riding them I noticed a "skoosh skoosh" sound coming from the rear wheel when the seam of the rim got to the bottom part of the revolution. This would usually happen on hot days or when the rim heated up on a descent.

Anyway winter came, the sound went away and it was "out of sight, out of mind". Now the days have gotten warmer and the sound is back again. This time it is happening to both the front and rear wheels whenever the rim seam comes around to the ground.

FYI there are two seams on each rim. One by the valve hole, the other opposite the hole. My rear wheel skooshes when the valve hole seam is at the bottom, the front skooshes when the opposite seam comes 'round.

I use Continental Sprinter tires (22mm) and have glued and re-glued tires onto both rims.

Is this noise normal or are my wheels about to fly apart? - Yeah, I'm the paranoid type.

If it is normal, what can I do to get rid of the sound?

Here are pics of the offending seams.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are my carbon wheels about to fly apart?-reynolds-front.jpg   Are my carbon wheels about to fly apart?-reynolds-rear.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    The sound probably has something to do with the valve stem and nothing to do with those seams.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligero
    The sound probably has something to do with the valve stem and nothing to do with those seams.
    That's what I thought initially. But now the front one is making that sound when the seam opposite the valve stem gets toward the bottom of the revolution.

C6Rider
    Nov 2008
    Can you post pictures of the seams on the other side of the wheel for comparison? The ones you posted appear larger than on a brand new set of wheels. I guess you don't have the wheel replacement plan?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I am 99.9999% sure that the seams are not coming apart. Are the tires glued or taped? If they are glued but do not have enough glue you could be hearing the tire coming stuck and unstuck every time that part of the tire hits the road.

Online Wheel Builder
    Sometimes the seams are not lined up perfectly and you will get that sensation while breaking. Its nothing to worry about.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligero
    I am 99.9999% sure that the seams are not coming apart. Are the tires glued or taped? If they are glued but do not have enough glue you could be hearing the tire coming stuck and unstuck every time that part of the tire hits the road.
    They are glued.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by C6Rider
    Can you post pictures of the seams on the other side of the wheel for comparison? The ones you posted appear larger than on a brand new set of wheels. I guess you don't have the wheel replacement plan?
    I will have time to take and post the pictures later today.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
    Sometimes the seams are not lined up perfectly and you will get that sensation while breaking. Its nothing to worry about.
    The noise happens when I'm cruising along as well as when I'm braking. Mainly when the weather is warm and the rims heat up.

Two wheels=freedom!
    Sep 2003
    It sounds like glue to me. I had a sound like that on a set of Dugasts glued to Mavic K SL3's. I pulled the tires off and re-glued and the sound went away.

Do you follow the (In my opinion ill-advised) practice of leaving a small section un-glued to aid in easy removal? That could be it on the front where some people don't glue about a 2" section accross from the stem. The rear could be an inadequate bond of the tire at the stem, also a common problem.

If this noise happens regardless of the tire used, it may be the rim, but not likely. YMMV

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by rdolson
    It sounds like glue to me. I had a sound like that on a set of Dugasts glued to Mavic K SL3's. I pulled the tires off and re-glued and the sound went away.

Do you follow the (In my opinion ill-advised) practice of leaving a small section un-glued to aid in easy removal? That could be it on the front where some people don't glue about a 2" section accross from the stem. The rear could be an inadequate bond of the tire at the stem, also a common problem.

If this noise happens regardless of the tire used, it may be the rim, but not likely. YMMV
    Yes, I do leave a small section unglued. The part opposite the valve stem. It doesn't explain the noise on the wheel when the stem comes to the bottom of the revolution.

I guess I could put some glue on that section. Maybe even some more at the stem. It's just that it's so difficult to get started on getting the tire off.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Here are two rear wheel pictures of the other (good) end of the wheel.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are my carbon wheels about to fly apart?-reynolds-003-rear.jpg   Are my carbon wheels about to fly apart?-reynolds-005-rear.jpg  

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Front wheel pic of the good end of the wheel.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are my carbon wheels about to fly apart?-reynolds-006-fr.jpg