now in philadelphia
    Nov 2007

My King/Zipp 285 wheelset *pic*

I appreciate the recent help from folks on this board, particularly rruff and ergott. Intent on building a freakbike, I needed all the help I can get from the knowledgeable people on this board for this custom build.

Stats on wheels:
    Zipp 285T rims (aka 303s) 28-hole
    Sapim Laser spokes
    Brass nips all around
    Chris King (silver) ISO disc hubs
    Not WW at 1560 grams, with glue & excluding skewers.
    Rotors are Alligator Serrated (Ti-Nitride coating) with Ti bolts. 40 grams lighter each vs stock.

Stats on tires:
    Tubular Schwalbe Stelvio 22mm (fr) and 25mm (rr.)
    235 gram/286 grams respectively.
    The roundest tires I have ever seen. Highest ultimate grip I have ever experienced.
    Unfortunately I puncture flatted the rear on the first ride. (Mile 39 of 41 mile ride.)
    I would not recommend this tire for anything other than racing.

Thoughts on the wheels:

Surprisingly stiff- the entire bike feels different now. The hubs are very smooth and I love angry bees in the CK rear hub. While it is considerably stiffer than my clincher wheelset, it does soak up high frequency bumps better - much like a carbon frame. Aero difference is negligible but I did feel more confident on corner on descents because of the relative stiffness. When climbing, the 1 pound reduction in weight was noticeable and significant.

Stats on bike:
    2007 Lemond Poprad Disc frame
    Bontrager Satellite Switchblade carbon fork.
    Thomson X4 stem
    PRO PLT shallow bar
    King headset
    Miche Supertype post
    Regal Titanium saddle
    XTR Ti cassette
    XTR Shadow Carbon RD
    Dura Ace DT shifter (just the rear)
    Stronglight Pulsion cranks with FSA 44T ring
    N-Gear chain stop
    Avid Full Metal Jacket brake housing
    Tektro RA200 Levers
    Crank Bros Candy Titanium
    17.9 pounds as shown.

¿Por Que?
    Aug 2007
    Sharp wheels. The weight sounds high though. Are you including rotors and bolts in that weight?

now in philadelphia
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23
    Sharp wheels. The weight sounds high though. Are you including rotors and bolts in that weight?
    Nope, the CK disc hubs are heavy, as are brass nips. I'm not too worried about the weight though. I decided to take reliability over a 200 grams savings.

I'm big in Europe
    I like, looks hot!

curious as to the disc on a road wheel though? you gonna run these wheels as a cross set in the fall maybe?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    That is a great looking bike. There's something about red with white panels that rocks...add those 303's and that's a beaut. Awesome all-rounder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Wow. Supah bling. I salute your pursuit of the extreme and unusual

That thing is probably a blast to ride, but it looks like it has a personality disorder...I mean, ultralight, puncture-prone tires with disk brakes...boat anchor seatpost and saddle with ultralight crankset...hubs that'll last for a million miles with rims that won't last one hard run-in with a big pothole.

Definitely a conversation starter!

banned
    Aug 2006
    whats the point of coverting a commuter bike in a race bike, but oh wait its not a rce bike due to the downtube shifters and dic brakes. who needs tubulars for club rides too on fancy 2500$ wheels?!?!?

not to burst your buble but i thin k your bicycle is a bit dumb, you are just trying to show of some bling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Very interesting bike to look at. I like it.

Don't worry about Aiden, he's bitter cause he could never pull off a shallow drop bar like you can.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AidanM
    whats the point of coverting a commuter bike in a race bike, but oh wait its not a rce bike due to the downtube shifters and dic brakes. who needs tubulars for club rides too on fancy 2500$ wheels?!?!?

not to burst your buble but i thin k your bicycle is a bit dumb, you are just trying to show of some bling.
    Enough! You are just a real winner here....

DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

now in philadelphia
    Nov 2007
    Haha, thanks for all the responses. Its certainly a coversation starter. I do agree with the inscrutible douchebaggery of Aiden however. I love passing people on my commuter.

At the same time, name another race worthy bike that can nose wheelie in the rain at 45 mph. This bike is for me and I love riding it so trolls on the interwebs can't burst my bubble.

Thanks guys- love this forum.