RoadBikeReview Member

Mysterious hole on my American Classic 420 Aero 3 rear wheel

Morning fellow riders. I received my brand new 2011 AC 420 Aero 3 wheels last Wednesday. I mounted tires on them and put approximately 100-110 miles on them in two days. Upon inspecting my wheels today, I noticed a small, "nearly" perfectly round hole through the decal in the rear wheel (side opposite of the cassette). I called the shop I bought them from and the manager advised me to take up the problem with American Classic to inquire if this hole is manufacturing related. If it isn't, then I must have caused some kind of damage to the rear wheel while riding, it is a manufacture DEFECT, or something happened during the shipping process. Additionally, this is what the shop manager had to say:

"Anton, i am interested to hear what american classic says about this. from the picture i can only guess that it's from the manufacturing process. tiny holes in rims are commonplace in the manufacturing process. please let me know if they say otherwise. if that's the case, i'll get you an RA# to return the wheel and get you out a replacement. let me know how it goes."

Does anyone have any experience with AC 420 Aero 3 wheels or any wheels with small holes along the rims like this? Could I have created this hole? Should I try to get new wheels shipped out to me? Or is this part of the wheel?

I appreciate any input, thanks a lot in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mysterious hole on my American Classic 420 Aero 3 rear wheel-ac-420-aero-3-manufacture-defect.jpg   Mysterious hole on my American Classic 420 Aero 3 rear wheel-1.jpg   Mysterious hole on my American Classic 420 Aero 3 rear wheel-2.jpg   Mysterious hole on my American Classic 420 Aero 3 rear wheel-3.jpg  

wheelbuilder
    Drain hole. That's supposed to be there.

-Eric

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Yup. A good thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    dam they couldn't have placed it in a better spot? lol. it makes it look like the paint is chipped. But if this function is the case, I guess I can breathe a sigh of relief. Thanks for the info