RoadBikeReview Member

n00b 50mm Carbon clencher questions,

So I have some 50mm Carbon clinchers on the way,
    My first set! Quite excited for them but I have a few logistical questions.

Will I need valve extenders? Should I just get longer length valves tubes?

60? 80? Can anyone make a recommendation for which ones to go with? And a good place to buy them.

While you're at it - any recommendations for new rubber for my wheels?

Thanks guys
    2012 Cannondale Supersix 105

2013 Cannondale Badboy

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i View Post
    50mm Carbon clinchers. Will I need valve extenders?
    Yes you will.

Should I just get longer length valves tubes?
    You can but I opted not to go that route for my 50mm carbon clinchers as long-valve tubes are more rare and you'd be stuck for borrowing one out on the road if you ran out of spare tubes.

Can anyone make a recommendation for which ones to go with? And a good place to buy them.
    I don't remember what make mine are but they are the "removable core" type - ones where you remove your tube's valve core and screw it into the end of the extender. Of course you need tubes with removable cores and I use Continentals. Just make sure the ones you buy have removable cores. Not all Conti tubes do. The ones that do have wrench flats on the threads that take the plastic valve cap.

Lots of places sell those extenders but I got mine mailorder from CyclePath in Portland OR (a great place to deal with) and the fellow is Bill Larson - bill@cyclepathnw.com

The extender length will depend on the tube valve length that you have or get. I can measure mine later today.

The other type of extender is of the "non removable core" type where you leave the valve nut permanently loose. I tried this type and didn't like them at all.

any recommendations for new rubber for my wheels?
    My fave tires are Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX in 25mm width. They're a premium quality tire (life's too short to ride cheap tires IMO) - I check the mailorder sites in the UK as they have great prices at times (in the $40 area) for those tires - try Wiggle, Ribble, PBK, Chain Reaction. PBK had them for about $38 recently. I buy in bulk when on sale. Other people around here like Conti 4000s tires.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    just buy tubes with 80mm stems. Don't overthink it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simonaway427 View Post
    just buy tubes with 80mm stems. Don't overthink it.
    ...and perhaps carry an extender if you need to borrow a tube on the road.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the info Mike - couldn't agree more about the tire comment! Hah maybe ill try those tires out.
    Gonna try the extenders out and will pick up some 80mm tubes too.

Think ill at the very least get some extenders just in case like you said Loo.

Appreciate the info.

2013 Cannondale Badboy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I got tubes with longer stems. My wheels also came with valve extenders and put those in my saddle bag to use if I ever have to borrow a tube with shorter stems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Talk to the guys at LBS. Are you near Freshbikes? Situations like this are exactly why I deal with LBS as much as possible.
    Enjoy your ride- its cold out there today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full_Spectrum View Post
    Talk to the guys at LBS. Are you near Freshbikes? Situations like this are exactly why I deal with LBS as much as possible.
    Enjoy your ride- its cold out there today.
    Yeah i'm bringing the wheels into my LBS for a once over / cassette and rim tape.

Still can't hurt to get everyone's opinion here!

2013 Cannondale Badboy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mike T's comments make no sense. Use the longer valve stem tubes and have one less thing to mess with. Even a 60mm tube would work well with a 50mm carbon rim.

If you are out on the road, and need to borrow a tube, you will be in the same predicament as Mike T would be if he had to do the same thing as he requires removable valve core-stem tubes (which are not common in butyl).

If you really want to be safe, get a 40mm valve stem (not the removal valve-core type, but the ones that thread onto any old tube) and keep it in your saddle bag.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    Mike T's comments make no sense. Use the longer valve stem tubes and have one less thing to mess with. Even a 60mm tube would work well with a 50mm carbon rim.
    My comments make perfect sense to me, for my situation. Whether they make sense to you or not is immaterial. As with any internet information, it's worth what you pay for it and you should have the common sense to either accept it or reject it, depending on your wants and needs. My shop floor pump head would not work with your 10mm of extended valve.

If you are out on the road, and need to borrow a tube, you will be in the same predicament as Mike T would be if he had to do the same thing as he requires removable valve core-stem tubes (which are not common in butyl).
    I didn't tell you the whole story. I said that I tried the non-removable core extenders and I didn't like them (the reason for that is immaterial here at this moment). I now carry one of those extenders for the rare chance that -
    1. My pair of tubes and puncture repair kit that I carry on every ride aren't sufficient and I have the opportunity to borrow a tube. That would be almost impossible as I ride 99% alone.
    2. If I did need one and one was available without a removable core I would use the non-removable core extender that I carry. I don't like 'em but I'll bet it would get me home.

I chose not to go with 80mm stem tubes as -
    1. I have a large supply of both new and gently used tubes with short (35 & 42mm) stems and removable cores.
    2. My fave tube supply place doesn't stock 80mm valve stem tubes.

If you really want to be safe, get a 40mm valve stem (not the removal valve-core type, but the ones that thread onto any old tube) and keep it in your saddle bag.
    I do and always have - ever since I got 50mm deep rims anyway. I have most bases covered.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

Boyd Cycling owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    My comments make perfect sense to me, for my situation. Whether they make sense to you or not is immaterial. As with any internet information, it's worth what you pay for it and you should have the common sense to either accept it or reject it, depending on your wants and needs. My shop floor pump head would not work with your 10mm of extended valve.
    Your math is a little wrong on that. A 60mm inner tube will stick out more than 10mm. The valve started at the bottom of the rim bed, but the 50mm measurement is top of brake track to bottom of rim. It'll be more like 15-17mm of valve sticking out. For most of my pumps it's enough to grab on with the pump head without a valve extender, however other pumps won't be able to grab. I still like keeping valve extenders around and always carry one in my seat bag (I've been the good guy on the group ride more than a few times).
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution