RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Ne1 using Zipp 808 CC and regret not getting Tubular

I am looking at getting a set of Zipp 808 Carbon Clinchers for my tri bike b/c would like to be able to train on them as well (I'm no pro so don't feel like spending a ton on wheels and only being able to use them on race day).

Does anyone run 808 CC and regret not getting tubular and just using them on race days?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do tubies really flat that much more?

Sleep Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post
    Do tubies really flat that much more?
    I've noticed that on group rides, there's always someone with a flat. More often than not, they're using tubulars. I believe it's because the rider thought max psi would make him go faster.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Not really, but its a pain to have to remove and reglue one when it does. I have tubulars I ride on some of my road bikes, but don't ride them exclusively, and have sets of replacement wheels (clinchers) I can throw on those bikes so I'm not dependent on immediately regluing a tubular. I also have tubulars for the race wheels on my TT bike, but in a TT, if you flat, you are pretty much done.

I don't race Tris, but I'm guessing that if you flat in the Bike leg, you don't just quit, you fix it and finish. If that were me, I'd much rather be fixing a flat on a clincher than having to remove a tubular, stretch on the spare, and trying to do it quickly. I wouldn't "train" on tubulars for the same reasons, but know people who ride them exclusively.

Guess the choice is up to the OP, but I think I'd opt for the clinchers if it were me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Im leaning more toward the CC b/c would like to keep the wheels on the bike for training as well as racing, but is the weight savings of the tubular going to be that apparent on a flat course TT?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    The difference in weight of the sets is about 240 grams. Add to that the difference between the weight of the tubulars (you won't likely use super light if you will train on them too) vs. the clincher/tube combination and its probably less than 350 grams you save with the tubulars. On a flat course, that's not much of a concern....you will likely sweat off more than that in the bike leg if you are racing in hot weather.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the response. I think the CC may be the way to go for me then

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have one set a wheels and they are carbon tubulars. no problems here - who wants the hassle of clinchers?