RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015

Question Need help finding cyclocross wheelset with QR, DISC, 700c, for Ridlely X-night

Hello,

I bought a Ridley X-night frame set on sale that I want to build up with ultegra 6800 11speed. It has QR F/R dropouts, with post mount disc brakes (160 front, 140 rear). 100mm front, 135mm rear axle.

Can anyone give some lower costs wheelsets that would work?

Will 29er wheels sets work? Just what do I need to look for spec wise?

They seem very hard to find, or I am not understanding the wheel spec compatibility lingo. Or are they just not making them anymore due to safety reasons?

Thank for any and all help!
    Ken

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    There are a million wheels that will work. Almost any wheel set on the market can either be shipped to you ready to go right into your frame, or easily adapted to work with your setup.

While 29er wheels can work, they won't work for road tires as they're too wide and won't hold up under road tire inflation pressure. If there is a chance you'll want to use these with road tires, don't get 29er wheels.

Your brakes have no impact on the type of wheels you'll buy. Disc wheels are disc wheels, and your wheels don't care whether you have post mount or flat mount brakes, or hydraulic or mechanical brakes. The rotor sizes your bike uses will fit on any wheel set that may be allocable to your purposes.

Without knowing what "lower cost" means in your particular situation, it's tough to make a recommendation, but this is the type of thing where you can spend $300 and you can spend $3000.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    Hello,

I bought a Ridley X-night frame set on sale that I want to build up with ultegra 6800 11speed. It has QR F/R dropouts, with post mount disc brakes (160 front, 140 rear). 100mm front, 135mm rear axle.

Can anyone give some lower costs wheelsets that would work?

Will 29er wheels sets work? Just what do I need to look for spec wise?

They seem very hard to find, or I am not understanding the wheel spec compatibility lingo. Or are they just not making them anymore due to safety reasons?

Thank for any and all help!
    Ken
    Set a budget target.

Then decide whether you want centerlock or ISO hubs.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    It has QR F/R dropouts, with post mount disc brakes (160 front, 140 rear). 100mm front, 135mm rear axle.
    That is actually the most common combination. A lot of new bikes use through axles now, but most of the ones still on the trails are still QR.

I do Stan's Grail, H Plus Son Hydra, Pacenti Forza, and HED Belgium+ with several spoke options.
    Last edited by MudSnow; 04-05-2017 at 07:54 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Ok thanks. I guess I wasn't understand the specification lingo.

Question, are the QR's with disc ok safety wise, as long as I get good skewers? I keep reading about safety concerns about the torque of the wheel and disc working to loosen or even pop out the wheel?

Btw, my budge was $300, and the Swiss 24 DB wheelset is what I have decided upon to work with the Ridely frame:
    https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/Road-...R-24-Spline-db

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I don't think there are many people who think that thru-axle systems aren't superior overall (and perhaps in every respect except for very rapid wheel changes and compatibility with older roof racks) but QRs are fine. I have 3 disc bikes with front QR. I'd prefer for all of them to be thru axle, but they all work just great. Road and cross you can use high quality skewers. I use bolt-ons, Ultegra/XT skewers, or DT RWS. For suspension forks, DT RWS or bolt-ons only for me.

Adorable Furry Hombre

Question, are the QR's with disc ok safety wise, as long as I get good skewers? I keep reading about safety concerns about the torque of the wheel and disc working to loosen or even pop out the wheel?

Btw, my budge was $300, and the Swiss 24 DB wheelset is what I have decided upon to work with the Ridely frame:
    https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/Road-...R-24-Spline-db
    Thru-axles are better....but so long as you have lawyer tabs on your front fork you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    I don't think there are many people who think that thru-axle systems aren't superior overall (and perhaps in every respect except for very rapid wheel changes and compatibility with older roof racks) but QRs are fine. I have 3 disc bikes with front QR. I'd prefer for all of them to be thru axle, but they all work just great. Road and cross you can use high quality skewers. I use bolt-ons, Ultegra/XT skewers, or DT RWS. For suspension forks, DT RWS or bolt-ons only for me.

Building a gravel bike ATM....on a whim I got the frame with Shimano E-Thru axle. Have to say I dig the replaceability of the axle and threading. Granted Shimano E-thru is a unicorn you almost never see on bike or LBS parts bins.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

There a millions.... probably tens of millions of MTB's out there over the years that use QR's with disc. Of course they're fine.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    There a millions.... probably tens of millions of MTB's out there over the years that use QR's with disc. Of course they're fine.
    They probably were not shipped with lightweight external-cam QRs with inadequate clamp force.....and ridig ENVE forks with no lawyer tabs.