RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

Need help picking front hub from BHS

Would like input on which front hub at Front Road Hubs

I'm 165 pounds, an aggressive sprinter and do a lot of climbing. Roads are pretty average condition. Do not race crits. Right now the plan is a 20/24 (SL218 Rear Hub - 218 grams) set on the C472W rim with DT db to keep price down. I could order from danscomp but I'm a wheel newbie and don't want to get into the headache of wrong spoke length based on different lacing patterns.

A bit confused about the wide vs non-wide options, and have read about builds being too stiff. All things being equal will I notice a big diff in the wide front hub or will I get more comfort going another route? I know a lot has to do with spoke choice and lacing and tension.

Thank you in advance.

A wheelist
    Ask Brandon what he thinks. I, never having built with a wide front hub, think that it won't be too stiff. But that's just an opinion. I'll bet in a blind test (that would be interesting!) you wouldn't be able to tell what hub you have.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Thanks. Brandon recommends the SL85W.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Ask Brandon what he thinks. I, never having built with a wide front hub, think that it won't be too stiff. But that's just an opinion. I'll bet in a blind test (that would be interesting!) you wouldn't be able to tell what hub you have.