RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

Neugent A300AS first impressions

I bought myself a Neugent wheelset for Christmas. I just got them mounted on the bike. They ride (and corner) much nicer than my old wheels.

The Neugent A300AS set are a good budget set. They are alloy wheels that weigh around 1430 grams without skewers.

My old wheels are 19mm wide, and the new ones are 24mm wide. The first thing I noticed is how they changed the tire profile of the 700x23 tires I am using. The tire is wider, and the tread is more rounded. This turned out the equal a much better ride, and smoother cornering.

With my old wheels, it felt like the bike was falling over when I turned sharp. With these wider wheels, it feels like the bike has a bigger contact patch when I am leaning it over.

John was very helpful with all of my questions, and it only took around ten days for him to build the set and mail them to me.

The Neugent wheels are 1.5 lbs lighter than my previous Jalco set. The bike definitely feels lighter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
    I bought myself a Neugent wheelset for Christmas. I just got them mounted on the bike. They ride (and corner) much nicer than my old wheels.

The Neugent A300AS set are a good budget set. They are alloy wheels that weigh around 1430 grams without skewers.

My old wheels are 19mm wide, and the new ones are 24mm wide. The first thing I noticed is how they changed the tire profile of the 700x23 tires I am using. The tire is wider, and the tread is more rounded. This turned out the equal a much better ride, and smoother cornering.

With my old wheels, it felt like the bike was falling over when I turned sharp. With these wider wheels, it feels like the bike has a bigger contact patch when I am leaning it over.

John was very helpful with all of my questions, and it only took around ten days for him to build the set and mail them to me.

The Neugent wheels are 1.5 lbs lighter than my previous Jalco set. The bike definitely feels lighter.
    By using a 5 mm wider rim, you effectively increased the size of the tire. Increasing tire size changes "pneumatic trail" and therefore changes handling. Bicycle Quarterly discusses this issue extensively in their articles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Hi
    I did read a few of the articles on wider wheels. I knew it would change the tire profile, but I had no idea the bike would feel so different. Probably a no duh moment on my part.

I was considering switching over to 25mm tires, but now I am pretty happy with the 23mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Hi
    I did read a few of the articles on wider wheels. I knew it would change the tire profile, but I had no idea the bike would feel so different. Probably a no duh moment on my part.

I was considering switching over to 25mm tires, but now I am pretty happy with the 23mm.
    If you measure the tires on the old rims and the new rims, you probably would see a 2 mm increase in width, so you effectively did the same thing as switching to 25s on the old rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Thats exactly what happened. The tires on the old wheels were just shy of 23mm wide. On the new wheels they are 24.5mm wide.

wut?
    One would think that 2mm difference in rim width would not make much of a perceptible difference, but it does.

BTW, I ride 25mm wide rims with 23mm Michelin P4 Endurance tires. They are a wider tire and work great measuring just a hair over 25mm with those rims. The cornering is sublime.
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I bought myself a Neugent wheelset for Christmas.
    Can you please provide us with some real life pictures of these wheels?
    I've only found some CAD renderings so far with gross looking nipples.

Why don't they put some photos of their wheels on their site?

Rims seem to be Kinlin XR22T resp. XR31T acc. to specs and section drawings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Neugent A300AS first impressions-c0b75a0a-3049-4a51-abfc-8c26858332fb.jpg
    I don't have any close pics of the wheels. Ill take some when I get a chance.

This is a crappy pic of them on my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My take is that these will be good wheels based on John's reputation. He's been in the wheel business for a long time and you do get really good quality stuff at unbelievable prices. I was a big fan of his when he was Neuvation. Many of those wheels weren't built by him, but each part was chosen by him and they were good nonetheless. If they don't satisfy you, just know that his customer service is second to none. He not only stands behind his product, but he's efficient at doing so. Those wheels look like true custom wheels..... absolutely beautiful. Maybe not the bling of the likes of Enve, Zipp, etc., but those speak quality. One thing I can say for sure: you definitely did not go wrong buying those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    When I was doing research on what wheels to buy, quite a few people mentioned that the best wheels for the money are custom wheels.

Then I came across references to Neuvation, and how John now has a company called Neugent Cycling.

He was very helpful in answering my questions. I was curious about the wheel construction, and if these are built well enough to handle my weight (185 lbs) on a daily rider.

I thought the price was decent for a pair of 1430 gram wheels. With the fall sale discount they were right at 400$ delivered to my door. I think I would have to shell out a bit more cash to get much lighter. And Im not sure if lighter wheels would be as durable long term well th my weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    With my old wheels, it felt like the bike was falling over when I turned sharp.
    Interesting observation.
    I recently went from Fulcrum Racing Sport to Campagnolo Zonda, and the only difference I would call "objective" is when I'm cornering. Everything that involves acceleration feels smoother (because the Zondas are lighter?) but that may be entirely subjective. It's not as if I'm suddenly 5 % or even 3 % faster.
    But there is a noticeable difference in fast, sharp turns. I don't know why. Is it because the Zondas are stiffer? Or is it because the rim is 2 mm wider (inner width)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought the price was decent for a pair of 1430 gram wheels. With the fall sale discount they were right at 400$ delivered to my door. I think I would have to shell out a bit more cash to get much lighter. And Im not sure if lighter wheels would be as durable long term well th my weight.
    You bought a custom wheelset that is in the realm of $1,000+ Mavic Ksyrium Pros in weight, at the price of the lower-spec Mavic Aksiums Equippes; with the serviceability and durability of the Mavic Open Pros. Sounds unreal, until you think about who you brought them from. THAT is why custom is such an excellent choice. Anyone would be very proud to own those. Give us an update in about 6 months. I'm pretty sure you'll still be happy with them.