RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Neuvation M28 or Rol Volant

Discovered this website searching for a new set of wheels. I've narrowed my choices down to either a set of Neuvation M28X SL and Rol Volant.

I've seen a lot of recommendations for both sets (well, not so much the M28X SL as I've yet to find a review of it, but Neuvations in general seem to have good reviews) of wheel. The Neuvations cost less, but the Rols just seem to be top notch across the boards from all the reviews.

I would appreciates anyone's opinions of the two wheelsets. Stats on myself: 215 lbs, spinner, not a masher, do not race

p.s. I hate Mavic and am currently replacing a wheelset built with Open Pros. I feel the quality of Mavic has fallen off over the last ten years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I've had wheels from both companies and was more pleased with my experience from Rol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    I've been researching wheelsets as well and I've narrowed it down to the same 2 companies although I'll probably be going with the Neuvation R28s. You just can't beat the price (half of the D'Huez).

Update: You guys have now got me leaning on getting the Rols.
    Last edited by config; 04-24-2010 at 08:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    If the Neuvations break two or three times, like they all seem to do, is it really worth your time (to send them back) to save that $? ROL wheels get positive reviews and everyone loves them for a reason...because they just plain work!

I've had three sets of Neuvations (M28s, R28Aero and R28SL) and two sets of ROLs (Volants and Race SLs). The ROLs are FAR superior in every way.
    I rode the Volants for a year, beat the crap out of them, wiped them off and sold them to a buddy who needed wheels. He's still riding them.
    I'm currently riding Race SLs and have beat them like a rented mule. They are dead straight after 5000+ miles and a few cross races.

Pedal Master
    I have the volant wheelset and abo****ely love them!
    I Like B-I-K-E-S.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    If the Neuvations break two or three times, like they all seem to do, is it really worth your time (to send them back) to save that $?
    Nothing to say about ROLs, but I also have 3 sets of Neuvation wheels (M28 and 2x R28SL) and have had no issues. Over 5K each on two of the sets and I wonder why I even own a truing stand. I'm ~175lbs.

Pretty hard to beat them when cost is included (all three sets for under ~$700). I like to have a set for the rain and rough roads (M28) and a spare set, all for that cost.

That said, the ROLs look sweet, Better bling.

s54
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastionmerckx
    I've had wheels from both companies and was more pleased with my experience from Rol.
    I'm in the same boat as the OP, would you mind elaborating what more do you like about the Rol vs the Neuvations? Was it more of the experience with dealing with Sean vs John? Or was there a big difference in the wheels?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    i too have both the volant and m28. The rol is the better wheel. I think because it has a higher spoke count it is stiffer laterally. I feel a lot more comfortable and confident zooming around corners on the rols. This may seem bizarre but the rols also seem to be a little less harsh of a ride. you cannot beat the price on the neuvations, they are good wheels, but the rols are better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Thank you for the feedback. I ordered a set of Rol Volants after lunch today. I have favored the Rols for sometime. Nothing against the Nuevations, but for some reason I had more confidence in the Rols.

Hopefully I will get them this week, in time for my ride on Saturday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by s54
    I'm in the same boat as the OP, would you mind elaborating what more do you like about the Rol vs the Neuvations? Was it more of the experience with dealing with Sean vs John? Or was there a big difference in the wheels?
    Both guys back up their wheels but in my mind, the customer service you get from Sean is substantially better. As far as the wheels go,Rol wheels look MUCH nicer and are made better than Neuvation as well. Honestly,based off what you get,I have no idea why everyone feels Neuvation is that big of a value.I personally had to get replacements more than once and continued to have issues and I'm not huge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    My Rol Volants arrived today and they look good. I thought packaging was appropriate and simple, not overboard. Really good looking wheels. Looking forward to taking them on my ride tomorrow. 100K with some big climbs. I'll post up after the ride tomorrow. Will also be putting a set of Vittoria Rubino Pro 23's on for the ride. Not the size I wanted, but they were on-sale at the local Performance Shop, and on top of the that there was an additional 15% off so I got the set for a little over $50. I'm going to order a set of the 25's from PBK and have the 23's for back-ups.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    let us know how they workout for you. Also, can you take some close-up pics for me? I'm really interested in these wheels and i have the R28 SL2's and they are generating cracks on the rear wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    can't speak for the OP, but i've had my set for a couple weeks now with over 200 miles on them between a 64 mile ride, couple group rides and 100 mile ride yesterday at the shiner ghasp, and i love them.

they replaced a set of mavic heliums that i had that had seen better days. the first thing i noticed was the cassatte body as my heliums the cassatte body was shot and i had a difficult time getting the rear derailleur setup. not a problem any more. i did have to slightly adjust the h and l screws, but nothing major.

as for the wheels, the volants are stiffer. i'm 230, and while i didn't have an issue with flex on the heliums, the volants feel stiffer. i notice it a lot more out of the saddle. that said, the bike does not ride any harsher than it did before. the wheels spin effortlessly. the bladed spokes took a little to get use to with the side winds, but i don't notice any more (or maybe it was truly that windy that day and wasn't just the wheels). overall i am very happy with the wheels, but its probably too soon to make that decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzybone485
    let us know how they workout for you. Also, can you take some close-up pics for me? I'm really interested in these wheels and i have the R28 SL2's and they are generating cracks on the rear wheel.
    I'll try to get pics for you tonight. I've been having problems with my camera recently, so we will see.

So far, so good. Can't really say much at this point as I've put about 90 miles on them. I've been under the weather so all I have on them is a 60 mile ride and a 30 mile ride. Hopefully I can shake what I have and get out on them some more soon.