RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

New 2017/18 Rubino Pro 700x28" clincher mounted dimensions?

Does anyone have these (the new 2017/2018 Rubino Pro 700x28) and could give a caliper measurement on the tires: its height as well as its width when you've got 'em inflated to your psi?

Also, if possible, could you state what rim, the rim depth, and inner rim width are?

I'm currently running on one of my bikes (new alu Emonda) the hugely fat Continental GP4000sII in 700x28". These are 29,5mm tall and 30,0mm wide at ~80psi. These measurements are on the included Bontrager TLR rims that came with the bike. The TLRs are 18,5mm deep, and ~18mm inner width.

Just want to make sure, if I try/buy some of the new Rubino Pros, they are not fatter/taller than this. Am right up against the limits of this Emonda frame with the GP4000sII tyres.

Thanks!!

P.S. Lombard, really hoping you see this thread as I remember you telling me some (Rubino Pros in 700x28) months back you had gotten some last year and were running them on one of your bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey Hammer,

I do have these in 700x28. They measure 29mm at 100PSI (rear), 28.8mm at 80PSI (front) on my 18mm internal width DT R460 rims.

I measured height from inside of rim to outside of tire and got 50.3mm rear, 50.0mm front. Rim height is 23mm.

Hope this helps.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Hey Hammer,

I do have these in 700x28. They measure 29mm at 100PSI (rear), 28.8mm at 80PSI (front) on my 18mm internal width DT R460 rims.

I measured height from inside of rim to outside of tire and got 50.3mm rear, 50.0mm front. Rim height is 23mm.

Hope this helps.
    Hi Lombard.

Thank you! It helps immensely. Going to get a pair and give them a whirl. Since I had run the 700x25 Rubino Pros for years, and found them a great tire (being nearly indestructible on this sometimes mess of tarmac we ride on over here), I wanted to compare them to the GP400sII I recently got in 700x28. With the 28" GPs I couldn't believe the cushy difference I felt compared to 25" yet with no seeming performance hit (at least that I can tell).

Thanks again for taking the time to measure them!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Hey, I have a 36" vernier calipers, if you want to get outside diameter.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    Hi Lombard.

Thank you! It helps immensely. Going to get a pair and give them a whirl. Since I had run the 700x25 Rubino Pros for years, and found them a great tire (being nearly indestructible on this sometimes mess of tarmac we ride on over here), I wanted to compare them to the GP400sII I recently got in 700x28. With the 28" GPs I couldn't believe the cushy difference I felt compared to 25" yet with no seeming performance hit (at least that I can tell).

Thanks again for taking the time to measure them!
    No problem, Hammer! I went to 700x28 tires a few years ago and immediately noticed improved comfort with no perceivable difference in speed. I too am now at the limits of fame clearance - specifically chain stay clearance. There are no other clearance issues.

When I first started running 700x28 tires, I was running the Maxxis Refuses (60 TPI). They are the epitome of a bombproof tire, but not the greatest riding tire - a bit harsh. I decided I wanted to try something different and settled on the Vittoria Rubino Pro (120 TPI) as it seemed like a good compromise between comfort and puncture resistance. Many rave about the Vittoria Open Corsa as top notch in comfort, but reading multiple reviews, that comes at the cost of puncture resistance.

Soon, I will be building a set of wheels using the HED Belgium Plus rims. Those rims are 21mm internal width, so I will need to go back to 700x25 tires on those. However, considering the width of those rims, 700x25 tires will measure more like 27mm. This is more an experiment as well as an excuse to build another wheel set.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Hi Lombard,
    Why can't you use 28's with HED plus rims? Seems like you could
    Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadleg View Post
    Hi Lombard,
    Why can't you use 28's with HED plus rims? Seems like you could
    Cheers
    700x28 tires are already a tight fit even with my 18mm rims. HED Belgium Plus rims are 21mm which would expand the tires at least 1mm more. Rubbing the chain stays on a climb is not a good thing unless I'm trying to get an extra grueling workout and eat away my carbon frame at the same time.