Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead View Post
    Wider rim should give more tire contact with the road, not less?
    Well the contact patch is different. Wider rims round out the contact patch so it is more round. A thin, skinny tire will compact along the length of the tire, so it has a long thin contact with the road. That's why "in theory" thin tires have more rolling resistance, because even though their side to side contact is thinner, their forward/backward contact with the road is longer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Just got mine delivered today. Build quality looks good. Just one thing, on the front wheel the applied rim strip wasn't even close. No big deal i just punched a hole to get the valve thru. Can't wait to go for a ride later today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    Well the contact patch is different. Wider rims round out the contact patch so it is more round. A thin, skinny tire will compact along the length of the tire, so it has a long thin contact with the road. That's why "in theory" thin tires have more rolling resistance, because even though their side to side contact is thinner, their forward/backward contact with the road is longer.
    Yep, and here is the article where I first read about it:

Tech FAQ: Seriously, wider tires have lower rolling resistance than their narrower brethren

Dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloburu View Post
    Just got mine delivered today. Build quality looks good. Just one thing, on the front wheel the applied rim strip wasn't even close. No big deal i just punched a hole to get the valve thru. Can't wait to go for a ride later today.
    Shoot some pictures for us when you get the chance, thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Still lovin' my Vitesse wheels!

My only peeve is with the logo on the skewers. It would have been nice if the lettering was flipped so that the logo would not be upside down when the skewers are locked parallel with the ground.

Yeah, I know it's trivial but it's the only thing I can complain about with these wheelsets.

Dave

SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
    Quote Originally Posted by riderdave View Post

My only peeve is with the logo on the skewers. It would have been nice if the lettering was flipped so that the logo would not be upside down when the skewers are locked parallel with the ground.

Yeah, I know it's trivial but it's the only thing I can complain about with these wheelsets.

Dave
    Shoot them an e-mail about it. They like to know that stuff.
    Carbon,Steel,Aluminum or Ti,who really cares as long as we ride.

Boyd Cycling owner
    Ha! I just took a look and noticed that. Actually on the front it's upside down as the skewer points backwards. On the rear I never face the skewer backwards for fear of getting it hit by somebody elses front wheel.

I'll see what I can do but we just got a few thousand sets of skewers in so it'll take a little while for any changes to go into effect.
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by riderdave View Post

Dave
    Received my Boyd Vitesse wheels yesterday, tires mounted, cassette on, put them on my bike and had to look twice because I thought the skewers were on wrong...then I figured out the logos were on upside down...funny that i'm not the only one that noticed.

that being said I LOVE the way they look, going out shortly for a ride and we'll see how they ride. Mounted Michelin Pro 4 endurance tires with the red trim...looks very sharp!!!

RoadBikeReview Member

Question for Boyd

If I order today, what's the turn around time for a set of Vitesse (Campy 24/28)? I can haz for Mt Mitchell???

I can come pick them up. (there's beer in it for you...)

Boyd Cycling owner
    We are getting a very large shipment of rims in within a couple days and I now have 4 wheelbuilders on staff so we are definitely going to catch up and even start building ahead. I can guarantee you they will be ready in plenty of time for Mitchell. . .unless you're offering me Bud Light, then you won't ever see them. Southern Tier Unearthly always works as a bribe for me :-)
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by coachboyd View Post
    We are getting a very large shipment of rims in within a couple days and I now have 4 wheelbuilders on staff so we are definitely going to catch up and even start building ahead. I can guarantee you they will be ready in plenty of time for Mitchell. . .unless you're offering me Bud Light, then you won't ever see them. Southern Tier Unearthly always works as a bribe for me :-)

Good to see you have great taste in beer as well as building great wheels. I have a few hundred miles on mine and they are awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Can someone in this thread help me decide between the ROL Race SL and the Boyd Vitesse ??? The difference in cost is only $75. Help !!

Quote Originally Posted by greg12666 View Post
    Can someone in this thread help me decide between the ROL Race SL and the Boyd Vitesse ??? The difference in cost is only $75. Help !!
    .Rim width
    Nipple material
    Price.

EWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I got a set earlier this week and am very pleased with them. Nice looking, straight, and substantially lighter than the old Shimano 600/Open Pros they replaced.

They increased my effective wheel diameter slightly as well with the same 23c tires compared to the narrower Open Pros. With the Open Pros, distance measured by GPS was slightly less than measured by the wheel sensor using the Wahoo app on my iPhone. With the Boyds, mileage with the GPS is a couple of tenths longer after 20 miles due to the "straighter" sidewall that results from the wider rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Decided to go with the Boyd Vitesse wheels. Boyd was very helpful with information.

Full Fledged Member
    I ordered a set last week. I got an email today that it will be 10-14 business days for them to ship. I have a race on June 2 so I hope I have them by then. I wish I lived near Boyd so I could drop off a few colds ones and get my order moved up the list.
    1.21 Gigawatts!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by greg12666 View Post
    Decided to go with the Boyd Vitesse wheels. Boyd was very helpful with information.
    You'll love them. Have put 200 miles on mine, would buy again in a heartbeat.

Far and away better than the Aksiums I was riding!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I am riding in the Gran Fondo NY on May 21 hope he can get them to me by then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I'm sure Coach Boyd and his crew are hard at work building !!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Stupid question. with these wider rims will brakes have to be adjusted for wider clearance.......

Quote Originally Posted by kind View Post
    was wondering that too :P
    some but it's not a problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zooog View Post
    Stupid question. with these wider rims will brakes have to be adjusted for wider clearance.......
    was wondering that too :P

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    Do the rear Hubs measure 130mm or 131mm?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I just ordered a set today. I can't wait to set them up and go for ride .......

Ruby
    I have never ordered a set of set of wheels and want to replace my stock RS10's. My LBS showed me mavic cosmic sl's and shimano ultegra 6600 for $500 and specialized Roval's for $350 but the Boyds and the Rol for a little extra are quite a bit lighter, wider and "seem" to be a better buy.
    Question is, if I buy direct I have changed tires and tubes but not cassette and skewers. . I know a cassette lock tool is needed. Difficulty rating ?
    Last edited by Ruby13; 05-05-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast