RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

New Continental Grand Prix 4000 - who can tell?

I wore out my last set of tires, Michelin Pro Race that came with the bike. Lasted 2000 miles or so by switching the front and back a couple of times. I never really flat (some people do and some don't, I'm a don't), but decided what the heck I'll try the GP 4000. Kind of pricey, but why not? Now that I have ridden them a few times, I couldn't tell you the difference. No way, no how. Maybe that is good? Race tire to more difficult to flat tire and they are the same.

How exactly do you tell on similar tires?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

It's you

Quote Originally Posted by Midwestern Biker Dude
    but decided what the heck I'll try the GP 4000. Now that I have ridden them a few times, I couldn't tell you the difference. No way, no how. How exactly do you tell on similar tires?
    There are those among us who can easily tell the difference between tires, even seeing 1.5 mph speed increases from swapping tires or getting major jazz from riding open tubulars. Obviously, you can't feel the pea under your mattress either

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

I think you are right!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    There are those among us who can easily tell the difference between tires, even seeing 1.5 mph speed increases from swapping tires or getting major jazz from riding open tubulars. Obviously, you can't feel the pea under your mattress either
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'll try that pea thing tonight and see how it goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Are you saying there is no difference? I won't lay claim to any speed increases, but I think there IS definitely a difference between an open-tubular and a "not." A nice veloflex makes even a pro race feel like a garden hose. Conversely, I think Armadillos are so hard that they will run flat. The issue is only noticeable at the extremes, if you ask me.

Every little counts...
    Easy: Red ones are faster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Different = better?

Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    Are you saying there is no difference? I won't lay claim to any speed increases, but I think there IS definitely a difference between an open-tubular and a "not." A nice veloflex makes even a pro race feel like a garden hose. Conversely, I think Armadillos are so hard that they will run flat. The issue is only noticeable at the extremes, if you ask me.
    I would agree that there are differences, and I would agree that you can feel the differences under certain circumstances, but IME (among top line tires) there are NOT performance differences. Just because a tire feels different doesn't mean it is better. And further, "open tubular" is just a marketing term that makes people think that they will get the magical "tubular ride" from a clincher. There is no agreed definition of what constitutes an open tubular, and careful study of construction details will tell you that top line tires are all built pretty much the same. Some claim that these are open tubulars while others do not. As for me, I rode tubulars for 30 years, and when I switched to clinchers, I couldn't tell anything that would suggest any magic in the tubular ride. But don't believe me. Erik Zabel says he can't tell the difference either