RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

New dream wheelset for road bike

I am going to be commissioning a wheelset for my road bike with the goals of lightness and comfort over long distances (also means going tubeless). I weigh around 200 lbs so I need something that can support my weight and not flex overly under a lot of power.

Here is what I have in mind:

Chris King R45 F/R Hubs
    Stans Alpha 340 Rims
    Sapim CX ray spokes
    Black Brass nipples
    32h triple cross spoke pattern front and rear

Any suggestions on the build?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I was hoping for lightness so I wanted a light rim and was hoping to overcome it with the 32h drillings, still think its too wobbly at my weight?

Online Wheel Builder
    At your weight, I don't know about the 340. Since rigidity and lack of flex is priority for you, I think that a stiffer hoop like an A23 or XR270 would be more suitable. You could rock those in a 24/28 hole count and be just fine.
    Last edited by Zen Cyclery; 04-27-2012 at 10:52 AM.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by icaruswings View Post
    I was hoping for lightness so I wanted a light rim and was hoping to overcome it with the 32h drillings, still think its too wobbly at my weight?
    With very light rims there is the thickness of the extrusion to consider for dent protection. Isn't this the lightest clincher rim out there? If so, what should people 1/2 your weight ride? IMO it could be folly to use this rim. 1x front, 3x rear, 24/28 or 28/32 with a 420 - 450gram rim for me.

You are planning on using 25mm tires (at least) I hope?
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Well I am using Intensive 25c tubeless tires but they are actually measured at 23c

RoadBikeReview Member
    At your riding weight, I'd check out the new Velocity A23 rim, which now is tubeless compatible. As it so happens, I'm in the process of building a commuter wheel set with those rims in 32h/x3 for a customer, and they are looking very nice.

I am going to be commissioning a wheelset for my road bike with the goals of lightness and comfort over long distances (also means going tubeless). I weigh around 200 lbs so I need something that can support my weight and not flex overly under a lot of power.

Chris King R45 F/R Hubs
    Stans Alpha 340 Rims
    Sapim CX ray spokes
    Black Brass nipples

Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Well I am using Intensive 25c tubeless tires but they are actually measured at 23c
    Depends on the rim they go on. I run on my hybrid (or did) the Intensives on Crest 29er rims that are about 24.xx mm. They where the same width as my Ultremo DD in the end.

Now I am running Hutchinson Fusion 3 because the Intensives where defective. Honestly they look pretty close to the Intensives in width but perhaps a bit more shallow. So far they feel better also, but time will tell.

I am about 75Kg at the moment and I can feel them flex though so if I was heavier I would not use them or a lighter rim. 32 holes on Chris King ISO discs front and back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    At your riding weight, I'd check out the new Velocity A23 rim, which now is tubeless compatible. As it so happens, I'm in the process of building a commuter wheel set with those rims in 32h/x3 for a customer, and they are looking very nice.
    I cant find any info on the A23 being tubeless, do you have a link? What other rims are tubeless native?

Just for general reference what would be the lightest rim I could safely ride? RR 415s? Open Pros?

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Chris King R45 F/R Hubs
    Stans Alpha 340 Rims
    Sapim CX ray spokes
    Black Brass nipples

Have you considered using just Double Butted spokes? Strong and will provide some more comfort.

Also, you don't necessarily need 32h up front....you can use something with slightly less spokes, 28h without sacrifacing too much in comfort.

With the stan's BST, they will get to the 25mm when inflated. With other tubeless rims, they'll be closer to 23mm.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Well my worry with normal double/triple butted spokes is strength. I am also looking for comfort but also strength so they may be at odds with each other.

I would probably use 32h up front since 4 more spokes isnt going to break the weight bank and when I get out of the saddle to sprint I dont want any front wheel flex.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    You don't really have to worry about DB in regards to strength & durability... plus it's a whole lot cheaper.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

banned
    Aug 2011

Why?

Chris King R45 F/R Hubs
    Stans Alpha 340 Rims
    Sapim CX ray spokes
    Black Brass nipples

Well my worry with normal double/triple butted spokes is strength. I am also looking for comfort but also strength so they may be at odds with each other.

I would probably use 32h up front since 4 more spokes isnt going to break the weight bank and when I get out of the saddle to sprint I dont want any front wheel flex.
    Break the weight bank? You weigh 200 lbs. and are powerful. A half pound more a wheel is going to matter somehow?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I cant find any info on the A23 being tubeless, do you have a link? What other rims are tubeless native?

Just for general reference what would be the lightest rim I could safely ride? RR 415s? Open Pros?
    The new tubeless A23 rims would be a great choice for you at 200 lbs.

I don't know if lighter rims would necessarily pose a safety hazard (especially with a 3x 32 spoke build), but anything is possible. The bigger issue would be keeping the mega light rim round and true over the long haul.

Sometimes I feel like the 350 gram rims are meant more for the 130lb racer, trying to keep pace going up the side of a mountain ... and not necessarily appropriate for us mortals who pay for their own equipment, and ride on irregular surfaces.

I could be wrong...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Well with the CK hubs I am already committing myself to a $1k wheelset, so I just want to get the best spokes I can for my riding style.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The tubeless compatibility of the redesigned A23 rims was given to me in a telephone conversation with Velocity. Eventually Velocity will complete updating their website and I'm sure they will be giving a full description of their new rims.

I cant find any info on the A23 being tubeless, do you have a link? ...
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    A buddy a year ago asked me what to get. I pointed him to a forum builder. He's your weight and ended up with kinlin 270s 24/28 cx ray spokes and alchemy hubs. He says they're the best wheels he owns and Id say plenty durable. Ck 32s, c rays and kinlin 270s would be great. I have r45s on enve hoops and love them.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    built a set of alpha rims, bikehubstore hubs and spokes in the 28f/32 rear configuration, thicker spokes on the drive side. so far they have worked fine, no problems, i'm under 200lbs but no light weight. Wanted a set that matched my AC350 configuration. build with dt swiss revolutions or sapim race on front and non-drive side and db14 on the drive side.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As far as A23 tubelessness, there's this recent thread, FWIW:

Velocity A23, made in Florida. New rim bed is tubeless ready.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just had a set of wheels built for me and I am 215lb's, (was 230 when the wheels were built) using CK R45's and Velocity A23's 28 holes front and rear and they have been the best wheels I have ever had. They are not tubless, they are still Australian built rims, from my understanding it is the new A23's built in Florida that are tubless compatible but they still came in at 1580 grams for the set. According to my wheel builder who is about the same size as me say's they should be bullet proof. This is my first season on them so I don't have any long term durability yet but I have had no complaints yet.

SS-
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex -Just about how I want it: Crank Bro's Egg Beaters, Blackburn CF water bottle cages, Red Anodized KCNC goodies, Custom Wheels - (Chris King R45 Hubs, Velocity A23 - 28 Hole Rims, Phil Wood Double Butted Spokes), SRAM Red Compact Crankset with Chris King GXP Bottom Bracket, Ciamillo GSL Micro Brakes, Swiss Stop BXP Brake Pads, Zipp SLC2 Bars
    2005 Iron Horse MK3 Expert - many years of trail duty and still my go to Mt. Bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    As far as A23 tubelessness, there's this recent thread, FWIW:

Velocity A23, made in Florida. New rim bed is tubeless ready.
    Awesome, my only major reason for wanting the Stans is that they seem like the only tubeless native rims available not part of a pre-built wheelset. I have some Dyads (their burlier touring cousin) on my touring bike and they are unstoppably strong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar07 View Post
    I just had a set of wheels built for me and I am 215lb's, (was 230 when the wheels were built) using CK R45's and Velocity A23's 28 holes front and rear and they have been the best wheels I have ever had. They are not tubless, they are still Australian built rims, from my understanding it is the new A23's built in Florida that are tubless compatible but they still came in at 1580 grams for the set. According to my wheel builder who is about the same size as me say's they should be bullet proof. This is my first season on them so I don't have any long term durability yet but I have had no complaints yet.

SS-
    Thats awesome to hear, what made you choose 28h over 32h? Weight savings, confidence in the rims?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thats awesome to hear, what made you choose 28h over 32h? Weight savings, confidence in the rims?
    Both, I actually wanted to do 24f and 28r but my wheel builder wouldn't recommend it. If I would have pushed he would have done it but not guaranteed the front. He knows the roads I ride and my riding style, used to be a Mt. biker who mashed the pedals exclusively, so I am not the smoothest rider out there. I talked with him a few times before we decided on the build and it came down to either the A23's or HED C2's. I was trying to stick with a wider rim because I wanted to run 25c tires which when combined with wider rim gives the tire a tubular profile. I haven't measured the mounted width of the tires yet, (I will tonight) but I am running Schwable Ultremo DD's and they definitely look like tubular tires.

Another option you could look at for hubs if you can't afford or don't want to pay for CK hubs would be White Industries. I was going to do the White Industries hubs because I couldn't afford the CK hubs but my builder was able to get me the CK hubs for only a little more than the Whites.

You can see more info on my wheels here...Picked up my new wheels today...

SS-
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex -Just about how I want it: Crank Bro's Egg Beaters, Blackburn CF water bottle cages, Red Anodized KCNC goodies, Custom Wheels - (Chris King R45 Hubs, Velocity A23 - 28 Hole Rims, Phil Wood Double Butted Spokes), SRAM Red Compact Crankset with Chris King GXP Bottom Bracket, Ciamillo GSL Micro Brakes, Swiss Stop BXP Brake Pads, Zipp SLC2 Bars
    2005 Iron Horse MK3 Expert - many years of trail duty and still my go to Mt. Bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Seems like "long distances" and "tubeless" don't go that well together unless you have some sort of support structure like a group that rotates who carries spare tubeless tires. They take up a lot of space in a saddle bag and are heavier to carry than a tube.

I'm 190 lbs and after considerable research, I went with DT Swiss RR585 rims with 28 lacing F/R, 2 cross front, 3 cross rear, aluminum nipples, DT Swiss Aerolite spokes. These wheels have zero flex, and great ride quality when combined with my Vittoria Open Corso Evo CX 25c tires. Braking is also terrific compared to other wheels I've owned; they brake in the dry as well as my disc equipped cross bike, just with stock Shimano pads. They also seem to be immune to having junk stick in the braking suface, or braking surface flake off into the pads.

I've ridden them over very rough pavement -- my regular route includes 1/2 mile of a constructed walkway through a swamp which uses 12" wide uneven concrete planks that is so bad you have to make sure to keep your jaw open. I'm no racer but I have a Powertap and I have some >1000w moments on every ride, this setup has been rock solid for me.

KC

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP's dream is similar to what I built over the Christmas hols:

Circus Monkey hubs
    DT Rev spokes
    DT Threadlok brass nipps
    Stan's Alpha 340 rims.

32 spoke (because I was reusing the hubs) and 3X.

total 1,339g.

In terms of standing up - fine so far over some very crappy city road surfaces.

I'm not convinced on tubeless, so running mine with PR3's and Conti Supersonic tubes - total 250g per set. Compare to tubeless tire and sealant.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM