Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

New HED C2 rim arrived.

Nothing earth shattering. Just reporting that I got a new C2 rim from HED. I ordered it about a month ago and they were on back-order. 24 hole rear, 469 gm. Spoke holes exit on C/L of rim but are drilled at two different angles with respect the the plane of the wheel, greater for the NDS.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member

sounds good

What's the build going to be? I'm getting ready to build some new wheels.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nothing exciting. Just replacing a worn rim on a HED Bastogne wheel. New spokes too but the same Pillar's as stock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    can't go wrong with the HED rim. builds into a nice wheel.
    Darryl
    Darryl
    www.wheelwerks.us
    facebook.com/whlwerks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I have a set of HED Belgium C2s built up to Velocity Race hubs, 28f/32r 3x and absolutely love them. They are great riding wheels and the 23mm rim makes for a much more comfortable ride, even with 23c tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Just reporting that I got a new C2 rim from HED.
    Does your rim have the new graphics?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Does your rim have the new graphics?
    New compared to my 2 year old Bastogne and different than anything I saw on their website. One relatively small sticker on each side. The white parts are reflective.

New HED C2 rim arrived.-img_0447.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    That's interesting because your photo matches the ones I've been getting... until recently. I have a couple of 24h C2s I bought awhile back. However, I just bought some 28h rims to pair with them from QBP that have a funky (sparse thin lines) white laser etched logo that goes half way around the rim. It doesn't match at all, and it doesn't come off.

So... I need to get some 28h that match. Hed has been a real PITA to deal with regarding these rims. No <24h, no direct sales (must go through QBP), never in stock and no idea when they will be, changing the logo without warning, etc. Real nice rims, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I going to build up a new wheelset and I can't decide between the C2 and the Stans Alpha 400, any suggestions?
    A mountain biker who doesn't ride road has no legs
    A road biker who doesn't ride mountain has no soul

RoadBikeReview Member

New HED C2 rim arrived.

New compared to my 2 year old Bastogne and different than anything I saw on their website. One relatively small sticker on each side. The white parts are reflective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0447.JPG 
Views:	374 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	272016
    The graphics on the rim in the picture are not new; same graphics as on my rims I bought a year ago.
    The HED site shows what I think maybe the new graphics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    The OP wrote:

"Just replacing a worn rim on a HED Bastogne wheel."

What have you done to wear out a rim?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I just got a set (24 and 28 hole) and they have the new thin graphics not the one s in the picture by the OP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegorider View Post
    What have you done to wear out a rim?
    Used the brakes.

Label on rim: When I ordered the rim, the sales guy asked what wheel it was for (a Bastogne) and made some comment about the "correct sticker" which I really didn't pay attention to. I'm guessing that they don't want to sell you a rim with a sticker that might misrepresent which wheel it is...like a new model Ardennes LT etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Label on rim: When I ordered the rim, the sales guy asked what wheel it was for (a Bastogne) and made some comment about the "correct sticker" which I really didn't pay attention to. I'm guessing that they don't want to sell you a rim with a sticker that might misrepresent which wheel it is...like a new model Ardennes LT etc.
    Yet, they sell replacement sticker kits online. They have different ones and maybe he just wanted ot make sure you got the ones you wanted?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by emfc View Post
    I going to build up a new wheelset and I can't decide between the C2 and the Stans Alpha 400, any suggestions?
    I've built up both the C2 tubbies and Alpha 340s, so not exactly what you're looking for, buuuuuut:

Both are good builds, but neither was perfectly straight in the end. In other words, a small (<.5mm) but perceptible wobble.

Heds were stiffer than the 340s but the 400s are supposed to remedy this a bit.

Heds have been super reliable (1 season of CX so far) but the 340's developed eyelet cracks after ~7k miles. Notubes sent a new rim, this time with nipple washers and the same thing happened. The 400 is supposed to remedy this. I am also big.

340 was flawless as a tubeless wheel. The only problem was installing a tubeless tire decreased spoke tension considerably. This may have contributed to the eyelet cracks. ^^^

The Hed is wider but because of hook shape, the 340 had a very wide tire profile.

In the end I replaced the Alpha with the BHS 472, not because I didn't like the C2 but because the C2 has poor availability.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabondcyclist View Post
    Yet, they sell replacement sticker kits online. They have different ones and maybe he just wanted ot make sure you got the ones you wanted?
    Hmmm. The ones I got were nothing like my original stickers nor what I would have selected given a choice. No biggie as I'm not into big stickers and logos anyway. I've only left my old ones on as they're nicely reflective at night.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I would get the HED's if you can. I have built many sets and have had no problems. I have two sets on personal bikes. Can't go wrong with either one though.
    Darryl
    Darryl
    www.wheelwerks.us
    facebook.com/whlwerks

RoadBikeReview Member
    HED are ordered and in, going to lace them up to White Industries T11 hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Can't wait to get these.
    A mountain biker who doesn't ride road has no legs
    A road biker who doesn't ride mountain has no soul

RoadBikeReview Member
    HED are ordered and in, going to lace them up to White Industries T11 hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Can't wait to get these.
    You left out the most important part. What decals are you getting?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just had Darryl at Wheel Werks build me a set exactly as you've spec'ed. They are very nice. I will be posting a user review here soon. Here are a few pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New HED C2 rim arrived.-front.jpg   New HED C2 rim arrived.-rear.jpg   New HED C2 rim arrived.-right.jpg   New HED C2 rim arrived.-fronthub.jpg   New HED C2 rim arrived.-rearhub.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    I used a hair dryer and took all the decals off. IMO wheel looks so much better without all that Garish Stickers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyorerox View Post
    I used a hair dryer and took all the decals off. IMO wheel looks so much better without all that Garish Stickers.
    They new graphics as shown in my pics are pretty subtle and, I think, are pretty cool looking. They are painted on so you'd better like them because I don't think they are coming off!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oldroadie_nc View Post
    I just had Darryl at Wheel Werks build me a set exactly as you've spec'ed. They are very nice. I will be posting a user review here soon. Here are a few pics:
    Really nice looking wheelset. Did you get a final weight on these?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I weighed them with a digital fishing scale with an accuracy of 0.01 kg (crude but reasonable accurate) and they came in at about 1,490 gms. They are 24 front, 28 rear with alloy nips all around. I was considering the Velocity A23 rims to save ~40 gms (and a few bucks), but my previous wheels had Velocity Aerohead rims, and I wanted a stiffer wheel. The HEDs deliver a stiffer and more solid feel, and the 23mm width gives a very smooth (and amazingly quiet) ride. Plus the finish (and the graphics) on the rims is really nice! My old wheels were about 1,420 gms and I really can't feel the 70 gms additional weight. I'm very happy with the performance of the final product, the quality of the build, and the looks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great rims, I just wish they would bring them out in a hard ano version, so much nicer a finish than black and silver brake track
    Keir Whitcher
    Mclennan Cycles
    Daylesford
    Victoria
    Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast