RoadBikeReview Member

New hoop to replace Pacenti SL25

While working on my CX bike this weekend I found that I have dented one of my rims, a Pacenti SL25. This rim is not an option to purchase, unless I want to pay $100 shipping from the UK.

I have been searching around for replacement options, primarily by the OLD measurement (590). I have found three that will seem to work:

H Plus Son Hydra
    Pacenti Forza (OC)
    Stans ZTR Grail

Which would you select and why? If there are other considerations to make your decision, inquire. I am looking for something that will swap over easy as I have a race in a couple weeks.

CX race wheels, I weigh 200 lbs.

changingleaf
    The Pacenti Forza is the most similar and I've had great luck with it. It also has a nice asymmetrical hole pattern for better spoke tension left to right.

Tires will fit tighter on the Grail and it is a tough rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the thoughts.

One of my thoughts/concerns is with the OC Forza, will offset be enough of an issue with spoke length. I would prefer to not have to get new spokes (a convenience matter).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Without question the Grail. For all intents and purposes it is indistinguishable from the SL25 apart from the finish on the rim. The only rim that held tires on as well was an SL25. No burps, ever. And an otherwise very solid tire to boot.

If you use Hutchinson CX tires, and they have a few worth using - the Black Mamba is the fastest grass crit/dry dirt tire I've ever used, you need to soap the bead a little especially opposite the valve, and sort of finesse the inflation. I've broken one on inflation, had to throw away some perfectly good underwear and lost hearing for a few hours (any Archer fans in the house?). Apart from that, IRC tires work great, Specialized work great, Schwalbe X-One and G-One work great, Clement (now Donnelly) work great but be careful some of them come with treads that are installed TOTALLY off line, etc. Outstanding CX rims.