RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

New to road tubeless...sealant or no?

So, I have been donning tubeless on Mt. Bikes since around 2000. Was setting up a tubeless road wheelset earlier today, and sealant didn't seem to help anything. In fact, it wouldn't seat with the sealant, but would without it. Maybe the pressures are too high to be effective?
    What say ye?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    To hold pressure for more than an afternoon...just about all road wheels and tires need a helping of sealant. I think maybe the new Mavic UST can be used without sealant--but that doesn't mean it is smart to do so.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I ran these tires without sealant for two months last fall, held air about the same as tubes.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    99.9% of the TLR tires available REQUIRE you to run sealant. Which is why I went back to tubes 5 years ago. I hate road tubeless.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, I have been donning tubeless on Mt. Bikes since around 2000. Was setting up a tubeless road wheelset earlier today, and sealant didn't seem to help anything. In fact, it wouldn't seat with the sealant, but would without it. Maybe the pressures are too high to be effective?
    What say ye?
    Wouldn't seat or wouldn't hold air overnight? Some TLR tires have problems holding air for long until the sealant is worked into the sidewalls which weep air, but sealant shouldn't have anything to do with a tire popping the bead. WTB Nano's (not road tires) are notorious for this. The people at Orange seal recommend putting lower pressure in them and riding figure 8's for a while to work the sealant into the sidewalls to get them to seal.

Personally, I wouldn't put sealant into a TLR tire until its on the bead and inflated once to make sure there aren't noticeable leaks anyway, it's a mess to deal with if you have to take the tire back off and rework rim tape etc.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    TLR? I thought most road tubeless tires did not require sealant. That was the "standard" developed by Shimano and Hutchinson and Mavic's UST road system does not require sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    TLR? I thought most road tubeless tires did not require sealant. That was the "standard" developed by Shimano and Hutchinson and Mavic's UST road system does not require sealant.
    TLR and UST are very different standards. TLR requires sealant, it's printed on nearly every tire package/tire sidewall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    TLR and UST are very different standards. TLR requires sealant, it's printed on nearly every tire package/tire sidewall.
    Right, that's my point. There are TLR tires (that require sealant) and tires that have a butyl liner that don't (and they are not officially UST). Look at the tires sold by Hutchinson. They make both types and pioneered road tubeless with Shimano some years back.

Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    Right, that's my point. There are TLR tires (that require sealant) and tires that have a butyl liner that don't (and they are not officially UST). Look at the tires sold by Hutchinson. They make both types and pioneered road tubeless with Shimano some years back.
    Hutchinson's site has some weird info. Both the Sector and the Intensive are 'road tubeless', the Sector requires sealant and the Intensive doesn't. Their other tires listed as 'tubeless ready' but say nothing about needing it or not. Damn French.