Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Feb 2005

New to road tubeless...sealant or no?

So, I have been donning tubeless on Mt. Bikes since around 2000. Was setting up a tubeless road wheelset earlier today, and sealant didn't seem to help anything. In fact, it wouldn't seat with the sealant, but would without it. Maybe the pressures are too high to be effective?
    What say ye?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    To hold pressure for more than an afternoon...just about all road wheels and tires need a helping of sealant. I think maybe the new Mavic UST can be used without sealant--but that doesn't mean it is smart to do so.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Feb 2005
    I ran these tires without sealant for two months last fall, held air about the same as tubes.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    99.9% of the TLR tires available REQUIRE you to run sealant. Which is why I went back to tubes 5 years ago. I hate road tubeless.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, I have been donning tubeless on Mt. Bikes since around 2000. Was setting up a tubeless road wheelset earlier today, and sealant didn't seem to help anything. In fact, it wouldn't seat with the sealant, but would without it. Maybe the pressures are too high to be effective?
    What say ye?
    Wouldn't seat or wouldn't hold air overnight? Some TLR tires have problems holding air for long until the sealant is worked into the sidewalls which weep air, but sealant shouldn't have anything to do with a tire popping the bead. WTB Nano's (not road tires) are notorious for this. The people at Orange seal recommend putting lower pressure in them and riding figure 8's for a while to work the sealant into the sidewalls to get them to seal.

Personally, I wouldn't put sealant into a TLR tire until its on the bead and inflated once to make sure there aren't noticeable leaks anyway, it's a mess to deal with if you have to take the tire back off and rework rim tape etc.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

New to road tubeless...sealant or no?

TLR? I thought most road tubeless tires did not require sealant. That was the "standard" developed by Shimano and Hutchinson.
    Last edited by mfdemicco; 06-12-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    TLR? I thought most road tubeless tires did not require sealant. That was the "standard" developed by Shimano and Hutchinson and Mavic's UST road system does not require sealant.
    TLR and UST are very different standards. TLR requires sealant, it's printed on nearly every tire package/tire sidewall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    TLR and UST are very different standards. TLR requires sealant, it's printed on nearly every tire package/tire sidewall.
    Right, that's my point. There are TLR tires (that require sealant) and tires that have a butyl liner that don't (and they are not officially UST). Look at the tires sold by Hutchinson. They make both types and pioneered road tubeless with Shimano some years back.

Right, that's my point. There are TLR tires (that require sealant) and tires that have a butyl liner that don't (and they are not officially UST). Look at the tires sold by Hutchinson. They make both types and pioneered road tubeless with Shimano some years back.
    Hutchinson's site has some weird info. Both the Sector and the Intensive are 'road tubeless', the Sector requires sealant and the Intensive doesn't. Their other tires listed as 'tubeless ready' but say nothing about needing it or not. Damn French.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    I ride since 2000km the 28mm Mavic Yksion Pro UST on a 2017 Mavic Allroad UST (19mm internal) wheelset.
    And I'm very happy with them.
    Installation was pretty easy, but UST still requires sealant.
    The tire will not hold the air without and it is required by Mavic. At least mine lost most of their pressure over night without sealant.
    With sealant 30ml they are pretty air tide and I check only once a week, like I did also with a tube tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobsn View Post
    I ride since 2000km the 28mm Mavic Yksion Pro UST on a 2017 Mavic Allroad UST (19mm internal) wheelset.
    And I'm very happy with them.
    Installation was pretty easy, but UST still requires sealant.
    The tire will not hold the air without and it is required by Mavic. At least mine lost most of their pressure over night without sealant.
    With sealant 30ml they are pretty air tide and I check only once a week, like I did also with a tube tire.
    UST does not require sealant. If your UST tires aren't sealing without sealant, something's not right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Mine lost most of the air over night.
    With sealant no problem and even Mavic recommends for road UST 30ml of sealant
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRqmuJJJW2o&t=90s
    And in my opinion one of the advantage of tubless is the sealant, so why not use it.

By the way the Yksion Pro UST is only Tubeless Ready.
    Casing 127 TPI, Tubeless Ready
    Road UST: EASY. SAFE. FAST. - Engineerstalk : Engineerstalk
    When the use of sealant is needed to seal the tyre, it is referred to as Tubeless Ready.
    ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Mine lost most of the air over night.
    With sealant no problem and even Mavic recommends for road UST 30ml of sealant
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRqmuJJJW2o&t=90s
    And in my opinion one of the advantage of tubless is the sealant, so why not use it.

By the way the Yksion Pro UST is only Tubeless Ready.

Road UST: EASY. SAFE. FAST. - Engineerstalk : Engineerstalk

;)
    Interesting. Mavic dumbed down UST to make it tubeless ready. They violated their own standard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Yes, is not like MTB UST.
    That is why they always refer it as Road UST.
    But I think it is the better solution with sealant.
    The tires can be designed lighter with a more flexible casing. And the sealant is a good protection.

Last year i was running Schwalbe Pro One tubeless on the same rim. So far the Mavic UST works much better.

Last edited by Tobsn; 06-27-2018 at 11:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Yes, is not like MTB UST.
    That is why they always refer it as Road UST.
    But I think it is the better solution with sealant.
    The tires can be designed lighter with a more flexible casting. And the sealant is a good protection.

Last year i was running Schwalbe Pro One tubeless on the same rim. So far the Mavic UST works much better.

Pinhole leaks through the casing is why tubeless ready isn't as good. It took a number of days for my tubeless ready WTB Riddler tires to seal. The tire required pumping up during a ride. Now it's OK. Sealant can and does dry out as well. I'd rather have a tire that doesn't need sealant and use sealant with, especially with road tubeless.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    .... The people at Orange seal recommend putting lower pressure in them and riding figure 8's for a while to work the sealant into the sidewalls to get them to seal. .....
    Wow. And people say that tubulars are a pain.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Pinhole leaks through the casing is why tubeless ready isn't as good. It took a number of days for my tubeless ready WTB Riddler tires to seal. The tire required pumping up during a ride. Now it's OK. Sealant can and does dry out as well. I'd rather have a tire that doesn't need sealant and use sealant with, especially with road tubeless.
    For me it sounds your problem is not "tubless ready", it is an inferior not tubeless suitable tire/casing.
    This was a problem of the beginning of tubeless where you always had those funny latex ball inside the tire and the casing was covered with a latex coating.
    Tubeless ready and UST are are standards for the interface of rim and tire bead. The casing is up to the manufacturer.
    At all my current tubeless tires (Maxxis, Michelin, Schwalbe, Mavic) the casing had no leaks, the sealant was only necessary to 100% seal up against the rim and to prevent future punctures.
    With tubeless tires from good manufacturer the sealant don't try out as much as at the beginning of tubeless. With the current tires I put in sealant at installation and that's it.
    When removing last autumn the Schwalbe Pro One after 8 Month riding, nearly all of the sealant was still in the tire and fresh like out of the bottle.

Last edited by Tobsn; 06-27-2018 at 11:37 AM.

For me it sounds your problem is not "tubless ready", it is an inferior not tubeless suitable tire/casing.
    This was a problem of the beginning of tubeless where you always had those funny latex ball inside the tire and the casing was covered with a latex coating.
    Tubeless ready and UST are are standards for the interface of rim and tire bead. The casting is up to the manufacturer.
    At all my current tubeless tires (Maxxis, Michelin, Schwalbe, Mavic) the casing had no leaks, the sealant was only necessary to 100% seal up against the rim and to prevent future punctures.
    With tubeless tires from good manufacturer the sealant don't try out as much as at the beginning of tubeless. With the current tires I put in sealant at installation and that's it.
    When removing last autumn the Schwalbe Pro One after 8 Month riding, nearly all of the sealant was still in the tire and fresh like out of the bottle.

It's 'casing'...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It's 'casing'...
    Thanks.
    Changed it.