RoadBikeReview Member

New Wheelset built on Tune hub set

I'm am considering light clincher/notubes rim of Stan's Alpha 340 laced on 20/24 Tune mig 70 front and Tune mig/mag 170 rear.
    Hub set is 250 grams. The Stan's rim is 385 grams.

This wheelset comes with wheelsmith DB15 black spokes and alloy nipples
    all together becomes sub 1300 grams wheelset.

Anyone knows if I can go on this spoke count or I have to go up to 24/28 which I'm not fancy of.

I'm 170lb (75KG) and I'm not planning to go up on weight, I'm not racing, just training and like mainly to look for climbs. I'm not an aggressive rider as I said I'm not racing. My main question for you out there if this wheelset I have described is strong enough.

Online Wheel Builder
    You should be able to get away with the 20/24 count. I would by no means consider it ideal though. On that build, I would usually recommend a 24/28 in your weight range, seeing as the 340 isn't the stiffest rim on the market.
    Overall I think the 340 is alright. It's hard to beat in the light clincher category, but other than that it isn't anything exceptional.

I like your choice of the Mig/Mag combo though. That is a solid hubset that should prove to be quite durable.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thank you for your input. Anyone knows what will be the spoke length for my constellation?

Online Wheel Builder
    For the front (radial lacing) you would need 278mm spokes. For the rear DS (3x 28h), you would need 290mms. For the rear NDS (2x 28h) 284mms.

RoadBikeReview Member

Zen
    My rear is 24 not 28

My front is 20

Based on what you said il be okay with 20/24

Online Wheel Builder
    Oh didn't realize you had the parts already. The front lacing will be the same length since its radial. The rear will be 282mm DS and 286mm NDS with a 2x lacing both sides.

RoadBikeReview Member

Tanks Zen

I have received some parts like the hub and I was wondering about the 20/24 since I have received it as a gift, so I was thinking to look into the 24/28 but you recommend 20/24 for my description. I'm getting different approach from people on that its better to go for the 24/28 even though you said ill be okay with the 20/24. Do you still thinking ill get away fine or should I change the hub set to 24/28?

Online Wheel Builder
    Well, since you already have the hubs, then just go 20/24. I've seen clydes "get away" with riding 16/20 count wheels. So crazier things have definitely happened.

It may be worth considering going with a stiffer hoop though. Yeah the 340 will give you bragging rights but frankly I think its a pretty average rim.

RoadBikeReview Member

What type of rims?

Online Wheel Builder
    Well it depends. If ride quality trumps weight, then the Archetype from H Plus Son or C2 from Hed would be great options. They probably wouldn't spin up quite as quickly as the 340s, but they would have better ride characteristics.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'll look into it
    Thanks