gmx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

newbie and new wheelset choice(alpha 340 vs easton ea 90 sl vs?)

Hiya, I am a mountain biker who spent most of last year on a road bike (Cannondale CAAD9-5) due to an illness. I expected to hate it but the more I rode the more I enjoyed. This year, I am planning on doing some longer distance races (ie not crits) and trying to up the distance and elevation I did last year.
    I was looking at replacing my bike but thought it would make more sense to upgrade the wheels and keep the bike for a couple more years. So..I've been looking for something comfortable but able to spin up to speed easily and be fairly cheap (under $1000 cdn/800 usd). FWIW, I am currently 150lbs and have been known to ballon up to 160lbs. My search has brought me to the above. And was wondering if anyone could chime in on their experiences/knowledge about either or at least steer me in the right directions. Cheers and rubber side down!
    Last edited by gmx; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:42 PM. Reason: wrong wheel name

grizzly moderator
    Between the two, I would pick the Easton. I would also look at the Boyd Altamond which are similar to the Easton but able to add a couple of more spokes if you so desire.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

gmx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    Between the two, I would pick the Easton. I would also look at the Boyd Altamond which are similar to the Easton but able to add a couple of more spokes if you so desire.
    Cheers! I was looking at the boyds but with duty and shipping to Canada they are a bit out of my price range. I also found some kyrsium elites for slighty less than the eastons and have added them to my prospects. It seems, from what I've read, that they both have their hang ups and fans and detractors.