RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Old wheel recommendation/advice: Cosmos or Vector

We're making a family trip of the ragbrai (ride across Iowa) this summer, so I've pulled old bikes and wheels and such down from the rafters to get my kids set up. All going fine (and my 80s vintage Benotto was happy to get on the road again with my son riding it). But last weekend my son skidded out and bent the front wheel a bit. I have a couple nice old wheelsets in reserve though: Mavic Cosmos (low profile rim, probably early 90s) and a late 90s set of Rolf Vectors. I don't know much about the Mavics. So I'm trying to decide which set to put on the Benotto. The Mavics seem a better fit in terms of asthetics. But my son is 6'3 and 190lb, so the more important criterion is which set is beefier.
    Suggestions? Thanks,
    -Dirk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Bigmo, I'd go with the set that is most easily serviced if anything happens on the road. I have an old set of Vector Comps with the paired spokes which are bladed and don't remember if those are easily serviced by what you'll find at the repair stands. Not sure if you've ever riden this ride but enjoy. Maybe I'll bump into you out on the road. Are you going with a group/club?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Vector Comps, while having bladed spokes, can use run of the mill standard J-bend spokes that are easily available at any decent bike shop.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the advice. All things being more or less equal, I'm thinking I'll go with the Mavics. They seem a better fit for the bike. The current rear is a old Wolber wheel. And it's set up with 7-cog cassette / freewheel. Meanwhile the Mavic had an 8-speed set up. I have a few shimano lockring splines, but nothing to fit the 7-speed on the Wolber (which is what I'd have to move over). I'd have the same issue trying to move it to the Rolf. So I'll take a visit to LBS to see if the freewheel technology is interchangeable between the two. On the other hand, it's a downtube, plain-old friction shifter, so maybe I could just put the 8-cog cassette / Mavic wheel on and everything would be fine (probably the concern would be chain width).
    If not, the Wolber rear wheel wasn't the problem, so it's a perfectly ride-able solution to just slap the Mavic on front and keep the Wolber on back, but it's a grand old bike and deserves better :-) .
    Hi Jammer, we're going with the Cedar Valley Cyclists charter. This will be 4th ragbrai for my wife and I - 3rd time with family.
    We'll look for you on the road - we'll be wearing bright spandex :-) But seriously, we're looking forward to it, and it's getting near!
    Look for a big kid on a silver Benotto 3000 with downtube shifters, and that'll be my son. Are you going with any group?
    -Dirk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Id go Vectors myself, they are just so nice looking! As far as 7/8, its no problem. 7 and 8 have similar cog spacing, so the chain width isnt an issue. If your shifters have an index option/position, it will work fine too on the 8 speed rear. You'll just loose one gear option in back (loose the little cog by adjusting it out if its an 11 for instance)

Have fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Got the wheels on, my son's been riding it for the past few weeks, ready for a week of ragbrai. Here's a pic. Too bad the photo doesn't show the Super Record components. For the sake of the bike, I'm glad to get her back on the road.
    -Dirk
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I'm a lot heavier than your son, but I've never had any trouble with the two or three sets of Mavic Cosmos wheels I've bought in the last half dozen years. (They were replaced by Aksiums). But I would switch to dual-pivot calipers for the front brake at least - Campy Record calipers can't compare with modern brakes. I don't know whether Campy Delta brakes are any better. Good luck.