Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

open pro/record build

could someone point me in the right direction to get a set of black open pro's, black record hubs with black sapim cx-rays or equivalent spokes shipped to australia under $600usd if possible? cx-rays cost about $14aud each over here?
    regards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tidi
    could someone point me in the right direction to get a set of black open pro's, black record hubs with black sapim cx-rays or equivalent spokes shipped to australia under $600usd if possible? cx-rays cost about $14aud each over here?
    regards
    Why bother with CX-Rays on a build like that? Better to use Lasers or Revolutions in black on a 32 spoke build. Far cheaper too.

Try these guys http://www.cyclefitcentre.com/pedalp...#WHEELBUILDING apparently their builder used to build Mavic's neutral service wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    agree, best price for cx-rays in blk x 64 is around $230 incl nipples....

don't think u'd get OP rims + records for only $370....

where in aus are you mate?

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Forget the CX Rays, go with Revolutions

from www.chainreactioncycles.com

Record front hub : AUD 119.47
    Record rear hub : AUD 187.11 ( currently out of stock )
    Open Pro Rims : AUD 57.56 each in black 32h
    DT Revolution : AUD 35.97 in black per set of 36 including nipples

Total AUD 493.64

throw in a set of DT Competitions in black so you can have an stronger DS + AUD 28.77

Free shipping.

Total wheelset ( plus extra spokes for spares ) AUD 522.41

you have still 73 AUD left for colored nipples, rim tape, tubes etc
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    CRC won't ship Mavic rims to Oz - I believe they are embargoed by the manufacturer. You might be better off buying the rims locally anyway as that means you can make sure they are true before you build. Of course this means you pay local prices ($120 and up per rim for the Open Pros).

CRC also doesn't stock spokes in road sizing, only MTB. You could try Petra Cycles in the UK or Cheap Bike Parts 360 in the US for a decent range of spokes at good prices. BTW if you can work out how to order anything from Cheap Bike Parts, do tell me how as I can't.

DT swiss Aerolites are roughly equivalent to CXrays, the best you'll do on either of these is about $4 per spoke and you'll probably have to buy more than you want (vendors who sell individual spokes tend to charge more) so they are likely to end up costing you $300. With $300 for the hubs, $240 for the rims and $60 for the build you're facing about $900 for those wheels.

If you went with more sensible spokes like DTSwiss Comps you'd be able to do them for about $700.
    Last edited by Mark Kelly; 04-16-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    not true,

I have bought many sets of DT Revolutions in silver for my builds in sizes 294mm,296mm, 300mm and 302mm ( for DA/OP and DA/GP4 )

They don't stock DT Champions and probably also DT Competitions (never asked about Comps ) in road sizes, but DT revolutions yes
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover
    not true,

I have bought many sets of DT Revolutions in silver for my builds in sizes 294mm,296mm, 300mm and 302mm ( for DA/OP and DA/GP4 )
    Instead of arguing with me, why don't you check their website: Chain Reaction Cycles.com _ Revolution spokes It clearly states that the only sizes of DT Swiss Revolutions they stock are for MTBs (258 to 266mm)

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
    Instead of arguing with me, why don't you check their website: Chain Reaction Cycles.com _ Revolution spokes It clearly states that the only sizes of DT Swiss Revolutions they stock are for MTBs (258 to 266mm)
    BECAUSE I HAVE BOUGHT MANY TIMES FROM THEM SETS OF DT REVOLUTIONS IN SIZES 294, 296 300 AND 302

Ask them first for what they have in stock, the web site doesn't list all the sizes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    BECAUSE I HAVE BOUGHT MANY TIMES FROM THEM SETS OF DT REVOLUTIONS IN SIZES 294, 296 300 AND 302

Ask them first for what they have in stock, the web site doesn't list all the sizes.
    No, if it's not on the interweb it doesn't exist!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
    CRC won't ship Mavic rims to Oz - I believe they are embargoed by the manufacturer.
    It might be because the cost to ship something as large as a rim is insane.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff
    It might be because the cost to ship something as large as a rim is insane.
    they shipped them for free to me in Switzerland, but in the web site it says they can only sell mavic rims on inside Europe. Now I don't know if this is because of Mavic restrictions or because of the shipping costs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I can ship a wheelset via USPS Express for ~$80 from the US to Europe... but it's ~$300 to Oz. The issue is their size restriction to Oz which bumps you into a much higher rate. Even a single rim is too big.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff
    I can ship a wheelset via USPS Express for ~$80 from the US to Europe... but it's ~$300 to Oz. The issue is their size restriction to Oz which bumps you into a much higher rate. Even a single rim is too big.
    Ah the joys of Volumetric Weight!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    they shipped them for free to me in Switzerland, but in the web site it says they can only sell mavic rims on inside Europe. Now I don't know if this is because of Mavic restrictions or because of the shipping costs
    Its Mavic protecting their local distributors. I have seen on many websites say they do not sell Mavic products overseas. As for shipping rims, no big deal. I just ordered a DT rim from StarBike and shipping was 10 Euros for orders over 250 Euros. For the original post, I'd suggest DT rims. Fabulous to build with.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    aren't velocity rims available? use aeroheads.

Militant commuter
    +1 for Aeroheads...I love those rims and would choose those over Open Pros any day.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

thanx

thanx for the info'
    .i live in melbourne and will be paying $60 aud forboth wheels built. so $120 build,$310 hubs, $38 revo spokes, $370 approx. i do have a pair of red ambrosio excellence rims doing nothing but weigh 490 grams each.
    anyway i think i've answered my own question.
    thanx again for helping.
    btw, what spoke lengths would i need with excellence rims, black record hubs 3 x?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    sorry 60 bux for each wheel build. baby brain, i'm holdin a 7month baby half of our twin package, phew

RoadBikeReview Member
    thanx for the info'
    .i live in melbourne and will be paying $60 aud forboth wheels built. so $120 build,$310 hubs, $38 revo spokes, $370 approx. i do have a pair of red ambrosio excellence rims doing nothing but weigh 490 grams each.
    thanx again for helping.
    btw, what spoke lengths would i need with excellence rims, black record hubs 3 x?
    I use Spocalc as it seems to be the most accurate calculator, especially after DT deleted all the non-DT hubs & rims from their calculator.

You can get it here http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#length

Just one caveat, measure the rim ERD to be sure that you're entering the correct measurement. Ambrosio are notorious for varying their specs!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    thanx for the link

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    thanx for the info'
    thanx again for helping.
    dude? legit... where are you getting revos for 50c?

don't sweat the weight of the excellence... do it... italian! OPs are likely 435-440g anyway... CD tad more, ceramic about 470-80g

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    yeay sorry 'bout that revo price. my mistake. i'm getting used to the thought of red rims so i think i'll use em.
    does zen cycles still get on this forum? i bought cx-rays from him a while ago i may get a cheaper spoke from him again as i'm looking to keep the price down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    yeay sorry 'bout that revo price. my mistake. i'm getting used to the thought of red rims so i think i'll use em.
    does zen cycles still get on this forum? i bought cx-rays from him a while ago i may get a cheaper spoke from him again as i'm looking to keep the price down.
    cool, i live in melbourne too, just curious, who are you getting to build the wheels for you?

60 bucks is a decent price...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wankski
    cool, i live in melbourne too, just curious, who are you getting to build the wheels for you?

60 bucks is a decent price...
    $60AU is good? Jesus, that's steep by London prices. 30 plus spokes is the going rate in the UK for DT Comps.

Unless, of course, that includes regular spokes. Then it's very good!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    nope, no spokes... labor only...

60 is good... the few shops that can reliably do it have upped the prices...

it takes me 3-4hrs to properly do a set... we're not talking price gouging hourly rates here...

don't forget for a long time 30quid was far more than 60AUD.... usual conversion is aroun 2.4:1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast