RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

Ordering new wheels, first time - can anyone assist?

Want to make sure that I order the proper wheels and hubs. Have some questions below:

I have the Giant TCR Advanced Disc 1. It has skewers. Is it safe to say they are 130mm?

Here is the info on my current hubs - TCR axle - Sealed Bearing, [F] 12mm axle [R] 142x12mm axle, 28h

I am looking to order from Ebay -
    Pro wheels 50mm clincher carbon wheels disc brake hub with sapim Cx-ray spoke

Here are the options on the new hubs. I need to make sure I pick the right option and that they are compatible. The seller is Chinese (onlycarbonwheel on Ebay), so the communication is a little spotty

Front hub: 12mm Thru axle or 15mm Thru axle or standard QR - He told me to pick QR if I wanted a skewer, but that seems like a mistake on his part. My guess is I want 12mm thru axel.

Rear hub: 12x142 Thru axle or standard QR - 12x142 seems like the winner here.

6.cassete body: shimano 8/9/10/11speed cassette body. Should be compatible with my 11 speed Ultegra cassette.

Only other thing is that it appears that my brakes are 6 bolt. They are these - Shimano RS505, hydraulic disc, 160mm

Is there anything else I need to think about, or specify when making this order?

Boyd Cycling owner
    Your current rotors are six bolt. You can use a centerlock rotor with those brakes if you happened to get wheels with a centerlock spline. You could either get a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter and use your current rotors or get new centerlock rotors and they will work perfectly with your current brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by coachboyd View Post
    Your current rotors are six bolt. You can use a centerlock rotor with those brakes if you happened to get wheels with a centerlock spline. You could either get a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter and use your current rotors or get new centerlock rotors and they will work perfectly with your current brakes.
    Thank you. Sounds easy enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by coachboyd View Post
    How do I determine if my frame is 130 or 135mm? He asked me this question, and I am really not sure how to get that info.

I think he is confused and thinks I need QR wheels, that has to be it.
    Last edited by HammerIt; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    What about measuring the distance between the dropouts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    You said the wheels you are currently using are 12x142, sooooo that's your frame setup right there.

If you know the specs of your current wheels, then that is what you need to get for the new wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    You said the wheels you are currently using are 12x142, sooooo that's your frame setup right there.

If you know the specs of your current wheels, then that is what you need to get for the new wheels.
    This. Your rear hub is 142mm and your front hub is 100mm. They use 12mm thru-axles.

Interestingly enough, a front hub is usually labelled simply 12mm thru-axle. A rear wheel is labelled 12x142 which means 12mm thru-axle and 142mm hub width.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This. Your rear hub is 142mm and your front hub is 100mm. They use 12mm thru-axles.

Interestingly enough, a front hub is usually labelled simply 12mm thru-axle. A rear wheel is labelled 12x142 which means 12mm thru-axle and 142mm hub width.
    Yep you, got it. Thanks, I placed my order. And that is exactly how my stock wheels are labeled on the spec sheet.

I miscommunicated to him that I needed skewers - I don't, I have thru axel. That is why the drop out question through me off.

Besides that, this seemed pretty straightforward once I went over everything a few times.