RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014

Ordering wire beaded tires online: Risky or only if not properly packed and handled?

Not too much I can find about this online, though a little. I'd like to clarify if it's a bad idea or not based on risk and experiences of others.

The reason I'm considering wired over folding and ordering online is because of limited expendable income and a good deal on Ribble; of course that good deal being dependent upon the tire not being damaged.

I never worked in a LBS and perhaps they get some tires in larger containers in larger orders so I'm not sure how that works.

The one wire beaded tire I ordered online from a non local small shop was not folded and put in a fairly sealed thick brown paper bag though had more of a slight physical deformity, but it was indeed small and caused no discernible issues.

I am tempted on a deal on Ribble Cycles online on some wire beaded tires, thus my question.

So again, what are your experiences with this? Any experiences specifically doing this with Ribble?

Thank you!

I love to climb!
    You'll be fine. Usually we get wire bead tires in a large box from our distributors, but every once in a while they'll come twisted, then folded over so they can use a smaller box. Never actually had an issue.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Ribble is fine but I wouldn't deal with a UK site on a cheap item just to save a few bucks. Tracking and receiving can be an adventure (though no fault of Ribble) and returning is expensive on the off chance you do get a bum item. There's also a chance you get dinged with a surprise import tax.
    Off course that doesn't apply if you live in the UK.

Check out nasbar.com.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I buy all my tires on line. No problem with wire beaded. Agree with the previous comment about buying stateside -- assuming that's where you are -- rather than trying to save a few bucks on inexpensive tires. Beside Nashbar, which has sales all the time, BikeTiresDirect is a good source.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    You'll be fine. Usually we get wire bead tires in a large box from our distributors, but every once in a while they'll come twisted, then folded over so they can use a smaller box. Never actually had an issue.
    Thanks for the input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Ribble is fine but I wouldn't deal with a UK site on a cheap item just to save a few bucks. Tracking and receiving can be an adventure (though no fault of Ribble) and returning is expensive on the off chance you do get a bum item. There's also a chance you get dinged with a surprise import tax.
    Off course that doesn't apply if you live in the UK.

Check out nasbar.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    I buy all my tires on line. No problem with wire beaded. Agree with the previous comment about buying stateside -- assuming that's where you are -- rather than trying to save a few bucks on inexpensive tires. Beside Nashbar, which has sales all the time, BikeTiresDirect is a good source.

Thanks for the advice, Jay and mtrac. Did not think about that thoroughly. I may reconsider. At the very least, I will likely inquire to Ribble about the procedure for such a circumstance--I presume you are right and chances are they want one to send an item back if it's compromised to receive a refund or return.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    True, I wouldn't worry about it.