Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009

Pacenti SL23 cracked, now what?

I was getting ready for a ride yesterday and noticed my rear was severely out of true. I got out my spoke wrench and straightened enough so it was not rubbing the frame. Went a 70 mile with a friend. Thought the rear wheel felt strange. Put the wheel on my truing stand today and found this:

Pacenti SL23 cracked, now what?-img_0615.jpg

Unfortunately it also rubbed of the paint and took off the some of the carbon on my chain stay. Now I am trying to figure out which rim to replace it with and came up with this list:

Pacenti Forza - Hopefully they fixed the cracking problem and I likle OC rims to even out the tension. Would match my front wheel enough to not change so probably the cheapest option.

Hed C2 Belgium - I like the look of this rim and it seems sturdy and gets good reviews. Not sure if I should go with the plus version because I don't have much clearance between the seat stays (Cannondale EVO).

Boyd Altamont - This is deeper rim at 30mm and only a tiny bit heavier. I am not convinced it will be more aero nor do I care that much, so it would be more looks and placebo effect.

Easton R90 SL - This rim looks nice and seems to have a good depth / weight ratio. 20H is hard to find.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    I was getting ready for a ride yesterday and noticed my rear was severely out of true. I got out my spoke wrench and straightened enough so it was not rubbing the frame. Went a 70 mile with a friend. Thought the rear wheel felt strange. Put the wheel on my truing stand today and found this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	320804

Unfortunately it also rubbed of the paint and took off the some of the carbon on my chain stay. Now I am trying to figure out which rim to replace it with and came up with this list:

Pacenti Forza - Hopefully they fixed the cracking problem and I likle OC rims to even out the tension. Would match my front wheel enough to not change so probably the cheapest option.

Hed C2 Belgium - I like the look of this rim and it seems sturdy and gets good reviews. Not sure if I should go with the plus version because I don't have much clearance between the seat stays (Cannondale EVO).

Boyd Altamont - This is deeper rim at 30mm and only a tiny bit heavier. I am not convinced it will be more aero nor do I care that much, so it would be more looks and placebo effect.

Easton R90 SL - This rim looks nice and seems to have a good depth / weight ratio. 20H is hard to find.
    Maybe that crack should tell you something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    There aren't a lot of component alloy rims that are approved for 20h rear use - Easton R90SLs among them. Pacenti Forza OC is 24h minimum. Not sure if HED approves 20h rear builds. Kinlin XR31T may be able to hack it, but you would need to use the symmetric and not the OC version.

Just for the record we wouldn't build a 20h rear wheel, with any rim. Got in trouble with a customer the other day for passing on building a set of 16/20 for him.

Depending on which hub you have, a new hub shell wouldn't be hideously expensive and would let you build a better replacement rear.

A useful ERD for Easton R90SL is 582, but obviously it's best to measure yourself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't blame the rim. I'm heavy and have run a set of V1 SL23's for years with no issues.

Using only 20 spokes in the rear on that rim is just not a sensible thing to do. For most people 28 spoke builds a solid rear wheel.

When the first reports of cracking SL23's came out is was usually DS spokes on a 24 spoke wheel, which was considered a little extreme. I'm a little surprised a 20H V1 rim lasted this long before cracking.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Sorry should have mentioned rear wheel is 24H, front is 20H. I weigh 138 lbs so I would not say cracking should be expected but we all know these rims are known for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I think what everyone focused on was the first line of your post where you mentioned "rear wheel" and the last when you said "20H is hard to find" and assumed the Rear was built with 20 spokes. I did the same but, reading all you posted again, I now see the "20H" statement was in the context of replacing both Rims and Easton being hard to locate in a 20H drilling.

I would agree with you.....at 138lbs., you should be able to ride a 24H rear. I weigh about 185-190 and have two Kinlin 300 sets built 20/24 from when I was 175ish that I still ride and those have never had problems with spokes breaking or any rim issues whatsoever. The Kinlin 31T is a nice rim, but also look at the AForce AL33.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me again, I have no comment.

With all the bad feedback on Pacenti rims, why do people continue to be swooned by them?

Go with the tried and true (figuratively and literally), rock solid reliable HED Belgium C2 (not plus) and don't look back.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I've never used Pacenti rims. Every alloy rimmed wheel I have are Kinlins (5 sets), except the AL33 set I just built. Have been so busy since I finished them that I haven't even mounted tires, but I expect them to be great wheels.
    Last edited by cdhbrad; 10-16-2017 at 11:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Same thing happened to my Pacenti Sl23 rear rim. I replaced that rim with a Pacenti Forte.

My original rim was not OC, so I ordered a front for the rear replacement. The ERD was close enough so I could reuse the spokes(I know!).

The Forte addresses the rim failures, or at least according to the internet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Plus View Post
    Same thing happened to my Pacenti Sl23 rear rim. I replaced that rim with a Pacenti Forte.

My original rim was not OC, so I ordered a front for the rear replacement. The ERD was close enough so I could reuse the spokes(I know!).

My cheapest option would be to replace the rear rim with a Forza OC and it would sort of match the front SL23. I don't think I could reuse the spokes because they seem a bit short in the first place and Forza OC has a slightly larger ERD, I wouldn't want to put the front rim on the rear. It would probably be ok, but I just feel like ditching Pacenti all together and the Easton R90 SL looks good to me even though its going to cost more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Check out the AL33 rims.
    Great rim. I love them but the ceramic brake coating is a pad eater so do t get the ceramic coated brake rims.
    Other than that the rim is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by charlitin View Post
    Check out the AL33 rims.
    Great rim. I love them but the ceramic brake coating is a pad eater so do t get the ceramic coated brake rims.
    Other than that the rim is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did look at those. They are a bit heavier, not much. But to me it just seems weird to have such a large aluminum rim. Good to know about the ceramic coating, looks cool though. Do you notice any aero effect from them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    I did look at those. They are a bit heavier, not much. But to me it just seems weird to have such a large aluminum rim. Good to know about the ceramic coating, looks cool though. Do you notice any aero effect from them?
    They roll nice. The 23 conti 4s2 fit a nice 26+mm external width bc of how wide the rim is.
    If you want aero go with anything higher than 40mm.40mm is the in between for no weight penalties and some aero gains.
    I took the bite not bc of the very moderate aero gains but bc of the rim profile,the weight at this height for aluminum and the new aluminum compound they use which is stronger. Prowheelbuilder rates them at 4/5 for strength so that is very good for me.
    These became my every day wheels. I used a Reynolds custom 24/24. Stifer and about the same weight.
    Overall im happy with them except for the brake pad wear rate. My set up is 24/28
    I would recommend them off you don't care about the pad wear. Although i heard that the bxp flash pro wear better. I'm waiting for them.

Sent from my LG-V496 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by charlitin View Post
    If you want aero go with anything higher than 40mm.40mm is the in between for no weight penalties and some aero gains.
    I took the bite not bc of the very moderate aero gains but bc of the rim profile,the weight at this height for aluminum and the new aluminum compound they use which is stronger.
    Don't make the mistake of confusing height with speed. As this test demonstrates, the aerodynamic differences between popular "semi aero" (I hate that phrase) alloy rims and mid depth wheels such as the Zipp 303 is vanishingly to completely vanished small.

The very credible Tour Magazine published a broad test in their 2016 Issue 8 (can't/won't link it bc it's behind their pay wall, it costs about $2.50 to download the issue) called a 13w difference between the "deep box" Shimano C24 and a Zipp 404. The difference between a Zipp 303 and 404 is established (in the Tour test and elsewhere) at 3w. So the difference between a wheel like an Al33 or Kinlin XR31T (possibly Boyd Altamont) and a 404 is 3w, where those wheels would have a difference of 10w to a Shimano C24.

This information shows that there is no magic that happens at 40, but rather that the magic (such as it is) happens at shallower depths and with shapes that are better than glorified boxes.

Also note that the Zipp Firecrest 303 clincher weighs more than our standard build of the Al33, Kinlin, or Boyd rims mentioned above (all 3 of which weigh the same).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me again, I have no comment.

With all the bad feedback on Pacenti rims, why do people continue to be swooned by them?

Go with the tried and true (figuratively and literally), rock solid reliable HED Belgium C2 (not plus) and don't look back.
    This is a very good question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Supposedly Pacenti has corrected or reduced the problem with the Forza rim. I am not bitter about my experience with Pacenti SL23. At the time I built the wheels there was not another rim like it and they were ahead of the curve but had a design flaw that was not evident until the rims had been out for some time. I have decided to go with the Easton rims, not because I don't trust the Forza rim, I just like the Easton rim better and am willing spend a little extra to replace the both the front and rear. The front could eventually fail or the brake track wear out anyway.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    The SL23 was bugged...but the SL25 and Forza aren't AFAIK...
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    The SL23 was bugged...but the SL25 and Forza aren't AFAIK...

Just give them time.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Sorry, I meant Forza.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Plus View Post

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Just give them time.
    SL25 has been a reliable rim. It never even needed a revision (unlike SL23).

Go hunting for failure reports....you'll have to dig hard. SL23 was just too light, and their OEM for that rim didn't help.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Agree. We've built hundreds of SL25s, some of which are now over three years old and the majority of which have had tough, dirty, off road lives. If it was still made it would still be our #1 rim for cross tubeless.

The SL23s had their issues, which are known. There's no need to go looking for other problems where there is massive evidence and track record of no problems. We'll see how the Forza does over time, but the SL25 is proven.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Agree. We've built hundreds of SL25s, some of which are now over three years old and the majority of which have had tough, dirty, off road lives. If it was still made it would still be our #1 rim for cross tubeless.

The SL23s had their issues, which are known. There's no need to go looking for other problems where there is massive evidence and track record of no problems. We'll see how the Forza does over time, but the SL25 is proven.
    OK, understood.

-- Warren Buffett

changingleaf
    Boyd Altamont lite or Hed Belgium, unless you're running tubeless, then I would go with the Belgium Plus or Easton R90 SL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Forget about Altamont, Boyd wont sell to the public

Boyd Cycling owner
    Sure we do. We were able to work it where we have rims available for consumer sales now. We have a rims section on our website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast