RoadBikeReview Member

Pacenti SL23 V2 and rim tape?

So I have November Nimbus Ti w/Pacenti SL23 version 2 and my issue is the rim tape winds up rolling over on itself or if I flat it gets messed up opening the spoke nipple drillings. I have replaced it several times. I clean the entire rim bead and go over it again with isopropyl alcohol prior too tape instal but it doesn't stick for long. I have even lightly braided it following that with prior stated cleaning. I constantly deal with flats. If I can't find a decent tape I am sending wheels back and getting the hubs re laced too a kinlin like my November FSW3
    I have used Velox and a couple different types available through lbs. I'm considering Stans no tube but I'm really just tired of the game.
    I'm not a big fan of the difficulty mounting and dismounting tires either so any thoughts or just ditch the rim for another.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stans rim tape should work no problem, wrap 2 times tightly.
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)

grizzly moderator
    Use Stan's, 21 mm, two layers
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Replied separately to OP through an email exchange but a few notes:
    1. In hindsight, it does actually seem that tape was sometimes difficult to adhere to SL23s. I have no explanation for why.
    2. Velox or similar tapes are too thick to use with Pacenti SL23s in particular and most tubeless rims in general. They make tire mounting much harder than it needs to be.
    3. Stan's tape is the same thing as Tesa tape, which is what we supply installed on rims. You may not be able to find it in appropriate roll sizes, we buy 60 meter rolls by the case and go through them like eating Tic-Tacs, but the bike-branded equivalents of Tesa tape (or 3M 8898, which is the other tape popularly repurposed for tubeless use) are considerably more expensive.
    4. We actually prefer 24mm for 20mm inside with rims. There isn't much difference in it, but it eliminates the possibility of the tape shifting, and by the time the tape goes down into the tubeless trough, 24mm tape will just barely make it to the inner walls of the rim.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    My wife had a set of wheels from Psimet that were on Pacenti tubeless rims. It was almost impossible to get the tires on and off. I called the owner of psimet and he asked what rim strip I was using. Velox, I replied. He told me to use Stan's instead - two layers. It did help a bit, but for now on, I'm avoiding tubeless rims since I don't have any intention of using tubeless tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Just remember, not all tight fitting rims are tubeless, and not all tubeless rims are tight fitting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I wrote this on another forum, but it's a worthwhile read if you're new to rim tape :: https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...all-45115.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I have always used Stan's, but next time will try 2 mil Kapton tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013

I'll buy them!!

Quote Originally Posted by FeltF75rider View Post
    So I have November Nimbus Ti w/Pacenti SL23 version 2 and my issue is the rim tape winds up rolling over on itself or if I flat it gets messed up opening the spoke nipple drillings. I have replaced it several times. I clean the entire rim bead and go over it again with isopropyl alcohol prior too tape instal but it doesn't stick for long. I have even lightly braided it following that with prior stated cleaning. I constantly deal with flats. If I can't find a decent tape I am sending wheels back and getting the hubs re laced too a kinlin like my November FSW3
    I have used Velox and a couple different types available through lbs. I'm considering Stans no tube but I'm really just tired of the game.
    I'm not a big fan of the difficulty mounting and dismounting tires either so any thoughts or just ditch the rim for another.
    I'll take them off your hands if you just want them gone?!

grizzly moderator
    In consideration of all the input in favor of wider than 21mm tape for these rims, I would like to add that if Stan's is the tape of preference then 21mm is the right size simply because the next available size is 25mm. If you want to use 23 or 24mm than look elsewhere than Stan's.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.