RoadBikeReview Member

Panaracer/Compass

I'm really liking the Compass Chinook Pass tire (700x28c) with "extralight" sidewalls, but I'm not crazy about the price. I understand they are made for Compass by Panasonic, so does anyone know how they compare to the Panasonic Race L EVO3, which also comes in 28C? I can find the latter on the web for 40 bucks less. Is this the same tire with a different label, a somewhat similar tire, or a completely different beast?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    They are completely different. Panaracer dosent offer a tire with their label that compares to a Compass. I run the ELís and have tried several Panaracer offerings as well as others fro Fairweather and Soma. The others just dont have the same ride and smoothness. For a 28, the Vittoria Corsas are close in ride quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    They are completely different. Panaracer dosent offer a tire with their label that compares to a Compass. I run the ELís and have tried several Panaracer offerings as well as others fro Fairweather and Soma. The others just dont have the same ride and smoothness. For a 28, the Vittoria Corsas are close in ride quality.
    Have you tried the same Compass in the standard casing? And if you have, how much of a difference between the standard and extra lights?

I've been riding their BSP, standard casing, and have been very happy with them, but have balked at the price of the EL's. Wondering how much more bang for the buck.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Thanks for that. I'll probably keep paying for Compass. In answer to Velodog, I haven't tried the standard casing, either because doing it would make too much sense or because life is too short to try a tire that's probably not quite as nice.

I thought my previous Veloflex Open Corsas were maybe even nicer than Compas EL, but I want a wide-ish tire, which they are definitely not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    Thanks for that. I'll probably keep paying for Compass. In answer to Velodog, I haven't tried the standard casing, either because doing it would make too much sense or because life is too short to try a tire that's probably not quite as nice.

I thought my previous Veloflex Open Corsas were maybe even nicer than Compas EL, but I want a wide-ish tire, which they are definitely not.
    What I highlighted is why I ask the question. I know that they're nicer, I just wonder how much so. Lots nicer and I can understand spending the money but if the bang is small for the buck I don't know. I don't want to start spending the money on a tire that is only slightly better when I quite satisfied with the standard.

As of now I been kinda waiting for a special kind of ride to try them on.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I know that they're nicer, I just wonder how much so. Lots nicer and I can understand spending the money but if the bang is small for the buck I don't know.
    Yeah, I get your question. I feel silly, or worse, when I spend extra money for what turns out to be almost nothing. And I could be doing it with my tires.

FWIW, here's a quote from one review:

ďAs good as the standard Stampede Pass versions are, the extralights are in a completely different league. Plush doesnít even begin to describe how the extralights ride. The extralight Compass tires practically floated over chipseal roads and broken pavement.Ē

Stampedes are, of course, 32c, so this is apples and oranges. And anyhow, I can't help thinking "YMMV" means you will have to try the ELs for yourself, no matter what anyone else says. At least you can be confident you'll like the ride, even if it doesn't turn out to be much different from what you have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I get your question. I feel silly, or worse, when I spend extra money for what turns out to be almost nothing. And I could be doing it with my tires.

FWIW, here's a quote from one review:

ďAs good as the standard Stampede Pass versions are, the extralights are in a completely different league. Plush doesnít even begin to describe how the extralights ride. The extralight Compass tires practically floated over chipseal roads and broken pavement.Ē

Stampedes are, of course, 32c, so this is apples and oranges. And anyhow, I can't help thinking "YMMV" means you will have to try the ELs for yourself, no matter what anyone else says. At least you can be confident you'll like the ride, even if it doesn't turn out to be much different from what you have.
    The question is, are you silly for spending your money for a marginal gain, or am I silly for not spending my money for a substantial gain? Like you said, gotta find out ourselves.

What review was that?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    What review was that?
    I came across the quote on the Compass web site. Can't imagine why they'd show it, can you?

I think the original is here

https://www.gravelbike.com/first-imp...de-pass-tires/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You may realize this, but he suggested Vittoria, not Veloflex, Corsa and Vittoria now makes that tire in 28.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    You may realize this, but he suggested Vittoria, not Veloflex, Corsa and Vittoria now makes that tire in 28.
    Yep. Tried the Vittorias in 28c, but I like Veloflex better, and I might even take them over Compass Chinooks if they came in the same width. YMMV!

BTW, I ran Vittoria latex tubes in all 3.

wheelbuilder
    I don't know if you have tried it, but the Panaracer Gravel King set up tubeless is excellent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

Compass EL vs Standard

Have you tried the same Compass in the standard casing? And if you have, how much of a difference between the standard and extra lights?

I've been riding their BSP, standard casing, and have been very happy with them, but have balked at the price of the EL's. Wondering how much more bang for the buck.
    I haven't done a comparison in the 700x28 version, but do have both the Bon Jon's in EL and standard. There is a noticeable difference between the two. I had the EL version first, and loved them, but thought that when I needed replacement tires for a bike that I also tour on, maybe a little more tread would be a good thing. The standard casing still rolls very well, and since neither set has over 500 miles on them, I can't really speak to the durability I was going for with the Standards yet. I'm hoping they are at least 1500 mile tires. That said, I upgraded my wheels on the tour bike to tubeless, so will be trying out the bon jon's in their newer tubeless design next time. If one set doesn't outlast the other by any measurable fashion, I'd probably just go with the tubeless EL version

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craptacular8 View Post
    I haven't done a comparison in the 700x28 version, but do have both the Bon Jon's in EL and standard. There is a noticeable difference between the two. I had the EL version first, and loved them, but thought that when I needed replacement tires for a bike that I also tour on, maybe a little more tread would be a good thing. The standard casing still rolls very well, and since neither set has over 500 miles on them, I can't really speak to the durability I was going for with the Standards yet. I'm hoping they are at least 1500 mile tires. That said, I upgraded my wheels on the tour bike to tubeless, so will be trying out the bon jon's in their newer tubeless design next time. If one set doesn't outlast the other by any measurable fashion, I'd probably just go with the tubeless EL version
    Thanks for the comparison.

Going to the standard for more tread was a mistake as Heine says that the difference is entirely in the casing none in the tread. There may be a difference in the sidewall though as the EL casing is a looser weave more supple casing so they may be more susceptible to sidewall punctures, but I don't know.

As far as mileage mine have rocked. I'm running the 650b\42mm Baby Shoe pass tires and managed to get just short of 8000 miles out of one, 4000 on the front and then swapped to the rear for about 3980 more miles. I rode them till I saw cord just to see how far I could push them. At 4000 miles when I moved it to the rear it was showing wear as the tread in the center of the tire was barely visible. I retired another one at about 6000 miles. It still had some life left but I flatted and figured that I might as well replace it. That was the only flat that I've had using these tires for the last 13000 miles on 4 or 5 tires

They are the older tubed version and only measure about 39mm, but I've got some of the newer tubeless design to replace these with when the time comes and they are supposed to be nearer to the advertised 42mm.
    Last edited by velodog; 1 Week Ago at 03:16 PM. Reason: correction
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for the comparison.

Going to the standard for more tread was a mistake as Heine says that the difference is entirely in the casing none in the tread. There may be a difference in the sidewall though as the EL casing is a looser weave more supple casing so they may be more susceptible to sidewall punctures, but I don't know.

As far as mileage mine have rocked. I'm running the 650b\42mm Baby Shoe pass tires and managed to get just short of 8000 miles out of one, 4000 on the front and then swapped to the rear for about 3980 more miles. I rode them till I saw cord just to see how far I could push them. At 4000 miles when I moved it to the rear it was showing wear as the tread in the center of the tire was barely visible. I retired another one at about 6000 miles. It still had some life left but I flatted and figured that I might as well replace it. That was the only flat that I've had using these tires for the last 13000 miles on 4 or 5 tires

They are the older tubed version and only measure about 39mm, but I've got some of the newer tubeless design to replace these with when the time comes and they are supposed to be nearer to the advertised 42mm.
    Impressive mileage. Compass/Heine say more sidewall protection from cuts etc with the standard casing. I've not ever really experienced issues with flats, let alone sidewall cuts, but didn't want to find out on tour either, so opted for the standards. The 3 sets I'm running are all of the tubed variety, they weren't offering the tc version until after I'd purchased the most recent set.