Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: patchnride

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by riverplatebike View Post
    Looks like their website is up. PatchNRide
    The video says its not a sealant, would be interesting to see how this works.
    So, its marketed at people who either dont know how to fix a flat and or are to lazy to take the tire off the bike.

Its like changing a flat on a car. You should have to be able to do it before you get a license to drive. If you cant fix a flat on your bike you should get solid tires or stay home.

I still think its a lame idea.

changingleaf
    The process is still not well explained, but anything that makes fixing flats faster and easier could benefit anyone. I prefer running tubeless tires because they do not pinch flat. I think the tube type tires are still better, but new ideas can take time to evolve to their potential.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It does not say it can fix tubed tires, and I don't see how it possibly can. It places a patch on the inside of the tire. Claimed to fix a cut "up to 3mm". So this is intended as a solution for tubeless only as far as I can see.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Banned forever.....or not
    I'm guessing that patchnride injects a pound of urethane into the tube, so that you now have a solid tire. (great on those "race wheels")
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    The process is still not well explained, but anything that makes fixing flats faster and easier could benefit anyone. I prefer running tubeless tires because they do not pinch flat. I think the tube type tires are still better, but new ideas can take time to evolve to their potential.
    Wrong. You can pinch flat anything. I smacked a pothole last sunday and it nicked the casing of my Bontrager R2TLR and leaked air/sealant til it got down to about 40psi. Pumped it back up and finished the ride, but the next day it wouldn't hold at 80 so I had to install a new tire. Not a pinch flat in the classical sense, but I hit a hole, the tire got damaged, and it had to be replaced. First time I've ever heard of it happening.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

patchnride

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    It does not say it can fix tubed tires, and I don't see how it possibly can. It places a patch on the inside of the tire. Claimed to fix a cut "up to 3mm". So this is intended as a solution for tubeless only as far as I can see.
    When they say clinchers... It also means tubed.

If they meant tubeless, they would have specified

I suspect it uses semi liquid rubber based on the vague video
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Wrong. You can pinch flat anything. I smacked a pothole last sunday...
    Similar. I was doing downhill about 45mph on a narrow rural road with nasty pavement when a car turned onto the road forcing me to move over where I hit sharp edged pothole and put two nice cuts through the each sidewall of the front (tubed) tire. It also bent the brake track. I still was able to patch, boot and complete the ride.

However, I've gotten way more pinch flats where only the tube suffered obvious damage, a few on the road but mostly on mtbs.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

patchnride

There is also "burping" on tubeless, more on the low pressure MTB and cross side and rough terrain
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    they mentioned a air sealed patch, and they say its not a sealant, i think this is like a patch

Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    When they say clinchers... It also means tubed.

If they meant tubeless, they would have specified

I suspect it uses semi liquid rubber based on the vague video

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    So, pre-order is available at 50% off. 2 patch pods + 2 leak detectors = $25 + $5 shipping. So that's $30 for a product they won't show a real video of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousalex View Post
    So, pre-order is available at 50% off. 2 patch pods + 2 leak detectors = $25 + $5 shipping. So that's $30 for a product they won't show a real video of.
    LOL, you just have to believe like the Pooka.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Now they have a computer generated video of how it's supposed to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_WMapG2SyI

Wouldn't a real video be like 1/100th of the cost to make?

RoadBikeReview Member
    esadtydfi
    Last edited by mellowman; 01-29-2015 at 03:14 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
    real video wouldn't show what happens on the inside.

so for this to work you have to pinch the tube and get the sealant between the tube and tire...um this seems a huge source for human error (don't push too hard...just enough!) and how can they be certain this going to work across the range of tubular tires. also how much does that applicator weigh.
    So in reality all this thing is a targetted sealant injector?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    It looks to be a plug with an instant glue surface on the side that faces the inner tube.

Lot's of options for error.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Right now the pre-order price is $30 (including shipping) for two patch pods and two leak detectors. Pass.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    esadtydfi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousalex View Post
    So in reality all this thing is a targetted sealant injector?
    yea, looks like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    esadtydfi

PATCHNRIDE
    May 2014

Hello, from the patchnride team.

Hi, this is George from patchnride. I am one of the lead engineers and I wanted to join the conversation to better explain the product in depth.

Although the technology behind our product has taken over 2 years to develop and is very complex, I want to simplify the process and explain how it works. patchnride patches your inner tube like a regular patch would, but we do it with some heavy duty engineering behind it.

We are inserting a 15mm PATCH, with a proprietary adhesive through the puncture hole (in the tire), and laying the PATCH on top of the inner tube, covering the puncture.

This is a permanent fix. Once the PATCH is glued to the inner tube, you are ready to put air into the tire (just like you would do it if you were to buy a patch kit and do it yourself). The difference is that PATCHNRIDE can do it from the outside of the tire, without ever removing the wheel from the bike.

That’s pretty much what we do. We are not a sealant and we are not a liquid base patch. Every part of our product has been developed with the best materials out there. Our adhesive was created just for our product as elements such as dirt, sand and moisture, were factored. Our PATCH will adhere to your inner tube with NO FAILURE.

Our product consists of 2 parts. The PATCHNRIDE tool, and the PATCH POD, or in other words, a CARTRIDGE.
    The PATCH POD contains the single PATCH and the mechanism that inserts it into your tire.

Each PATCH POD is a single use. Once you are done patching your tire (yes, in about 60 seconds), then you remove the PATCH POD (cartridge) from your tool, and just insert a new one – it’s that easy.

You are now ready to patch another FLAT TIRE when needed. Each PATCH POD is a little bigger than a 9 VOLT battery. That way you can carry the PATCHNRIDE tool and 2-3 PATCH PODS in your back pocket or saddle pack.

So instead of carrying an extra TUBE on your next ride, you will just carry a PATCH POD.

We have tested our product in various elements. From 30 Degree cold weather to 120 degree DESERT heat. We want to make sure our PATCH will last the long haul.

We are actually putting our tool to its biggest test this summer, as we are sponsoring a team at the Race Across America (RAAM). A 3,000 mile, non-stop race. Our 2 man team includes a 4 time IRONMAN champion.

Regarding our website, videos and animations, our last 3-D animation was created, so that the viewer can see what happens inside the tire while the product is in action. Our marketing team is working on new HOW TO videos, with real humans, so that you can see the product in the real world environment.
    Those should be ready in the next 2 weeks.

Lastly, I want to mention the Leak Detector. We don’t claim to have invented a method to find a puncture on a tire.

What we do have is a great, ON THE GO method to finding a puncture on your tire. We have worked hard to find the best chemical compounds, with the best possible sponge/towels to apply the solution, so that you can find the hole as fast as possible. Most cyclists can find the hole just by looking or by hearing the air coming out, but if you’re not a regular cyclist, we all know that’s not an easy task. So, why not have that extra help in case you can’t find the hole?

Please feel free to ask me any question you would like, and I will try to answer you as quick as possible.

Thank you
    patchnride

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Ok...so you're forcing a patch through what is most likely a very small hole in a tire, right? Would this enlarge the hole? If the answer is no the patch must be very thin and light, right? If the answer is yes, why?
    Will this product work on larger cuts? Probably not, as you'd have to take the tire off to boot it. So you carry your product in case you get a small hole puncture, but you'd have to carry a tube in case you cut the tire and tube. Why wouldn't I just carry what I need for a worst-case scenario, and be ready for anything? I've always got a tube, and something to inflated it with. I always have a dollar or a gel pack to boot a tire just in case. Why carry another complete system?

Maybe this could be your advertising tag-line: If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    So (as I surmised earlier) it works just like a tire mushroom plug, other than the face of the plug is bonded/glued to the inner tube.
    Example of mushroom plug for those unfamiliar
    Professional Mushroom Tyre Plug Kit, PU-115992 (Tyre Seals, Serenco Nederland BV) - YouTube
    While innovative, it's not that complex.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    First,
    I have never had any luck locating most punctures from the outside. Need to go inside the tire and look very close.
    Second,
    I dont want to make the tire any worse by punching a tool and a plug through a very small hole. Thus making it a bigger hole. (Not kode)

This is not a steel belted tire we are talking about here.

Slightly Opinionated
    $30 for "convenience" of not taking a tire off a rim?

You've got to be kidding. A package of Park Tool patches is about $4. It takes me maybe 4 minutes max to get a tire off, locate a puncture, patch it, reinstall the tire and tube and reinflate with a hand pump (less with CO2).

I can do 6 flats with a package of patches for $4. About $.67 per flat. And you want how much for this gimmick?

Clearly marketed towards your typical dentist on his Pinarello who doesn't want to get his hands dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    If this really works it would be a great solution for tubulars. But I somehow doubt that you can accurately put a 15mm patch though a 0.5mm hole and have it be perfectly sealed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast