Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: patchnride

RoadBikeReview Member
    esadtydfi
    Last edited by mellowman; 01-29-2015 at 03:14 PM.

PATCHNRIDE
    May 2014
    Hi Tihsepa, regarding your post:

Each bicycle tire is based on a special rubber mix, which is proprietary. patchnride takes advantage of the rubber’s natural ability to stretch. Through extensive testing (all available brands ), we have learned that we can stretch an existing puncture of less than 1mm up to 4 mm without causing any structural damage . Most outside entry punctures are larger than 4mm and our tool takes advantage of that size difference. As for finding a hole on the outside of a tire or any closed environment, we have developed our patent-pending leak finder. Our leak detector indicates any puncture or hole as soon as air leaks or is supplied.
    Patchnride Team

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by PATCHNRIDE View Post

Each bicycle tire is based on a special rubber mix, which is proprietary. patchnride takes advantage of the rubber’s natural ability to stretch. Through extensive testing (all available brands ), we have learned that we can stretch an existing puncture of less than 1mm up to 4 mm without causing any structural damage . Most outside entry punctures are larger than 4mm and our tool takes advantage of that size difference. As for finding a hole on the outside of a tire or any closed environment, we have developed our patent-pending leak finder. Our leak detector indicates any puncture or hole as soon as air leaks or is supplied.
    Yeah, No. I will pass. Thanks.

Being nice, it sounds too complicated.
    Being truthful, its a stupid idea.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by PATCHNRIDE View Post

I'm not going to be as nice as tihsepa. You have to be stupid to think that you're not just stretching rubber when you put the patch through the tire. The rubber is only the tread...the hole that matters is in the casing and the last thing you'd want to do is stretch a less-than-1mm hole out to 4mm. You'd significantly damage the casing in that area. You say most outside entry punctures are larger than 4mm? You obviously don't have much experience w/ punctured tires.

This product is sounding like a complete waste of money, I would never use it and will advise anyone thinking about against using it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Pooped a refrigerator.
    PATCHNRIDE, you have to understand that the criticisms you face here are the ones you need as a business owner. I'm sure people will buy your overpriced product, but frankly they'll be the people who don't know how to fix a flat or who are just plain bad at it. A bike shop will fix a flat for less than what you're charging. Now, your product can be done on the go, but if you're telling me that people can't go on YouTube and search "how to fix a flat bicycle tire" to save themselves $30, I think that would be a bit disingenuous. This is just another solution in search of a problem, and luckily for you this isn't the first cycling product to be that, so don't feel too bad. Your product has to do something that the current method of fixing a flat can't do, and it has to be something that is absolutely needed. Your product may save me a few minutes, but I'm already traveling by bicycle. That should be a pretty good clue I'm not in a major hurry to get anywhere.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

banned
    Aug 2012
    How does patchnride work with tires that do not need an innertube? Two comes to mind: tubeless clinchers, and Tufo tubular tires. Both do not have tubes inside. You say that the patch goes on the outside of the tube, in between the inside surface of the tire and the outside surface of the tube. But the two types I mentioned do not have any tube at all, thus does the patch go on the inside of the tire instead? That means the path needs to have adhesive on both surfaces?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by myhui View Post
    How does patchnride work with tires that do not need an innertube? Two comes to mind: tubeless clinchers, and Tufo tubular tires. Both do not have tubes inside. You say that the patch goes on the outside of the tube, in between the inside surface of the tire and the outside surface of the tube. But the two types I mentioned do not have any tube at all, thus does the patch go on the inside of the tire instead? That means the path needs to have adhesive on both surfaces?
    Anyone that rides Tufo tires, deserves this crappy product to go with their crappy tires.
    I doubt it would work at all on tubelsee tires. Adhesive wont stick to well if the surface is covered in liquid sealant.

banned
    Aug 2012

Re: patchnride

Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Anyone that rides Tufo tires, deserves this crappy product to go with their crappy tires.
    I doubt it would work at all on tubelsee tires. Adhesive wont stick to well if the surface is covered in liquid sealant.
    I stopped using sealant because it clogs up the valve.

I stopped using sealant because it clogs up the valve.
    I don't even know why I'm replying to this. Tufo supplies sealant. Thousands of road and mountain bike riders use Stans, DT, Bontrager, Caffe Latex, and other sealants. Very few have this problem.

Maybe it's something you're doing?

Again.

banned
    Aug 2012

Re: patchnride

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I don't even know why I'm replying to this. Tufo supplies sealant. Thousands of road and mountain bike riders use Stans, DT, Bontrager, Caffe Latex, and other sealants. Very few have this problem.

Maybe it's something you're doing?

Again.
    No, this has been discussed before. If, after the ride, the valve is at the top and the sealant drips down into it, then it's useless from then on.

So I offered to always rest the wheel with the valve at the bottom at all traffic stops, and everyone thought that was pretty funny.

RoadBikeReview Member
    the valve is at the top and the sealant drips down into it

Stop using superfluid helium and this won't happen.

No, this has been discussed before. If, after the ride, the valve is at the top and the sealant drips down into it, then it's useless from then on.

So I offered to always rest the wheel with the valve at the bottom at all traffic stops, and everyone thought that was pretty funny.
    Remember, less trolling...more riding. You promised.

have droids, will party
    I'm glad this thread got dragged back up. It provided some more insights into the OP's slightly skewed world that I would have missed otherwise!

Good stuff!

I learned that there is a completely sensible alternative to using alloy clinchers as an everyday wheel! I have no idea why I've wasted all this time riding on cheap, durable, and still reasonably lightweight wheel and tire combinations when I could have been rolling around on hastily taped sh!t tires on suspect rims with nasty glue type stuff in them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Not to bring up an old thread, but it's nearly 1.5 years later and this thing is still on "pre-order". Looks like vaporware.

banned
    Aug 2012
    True. I'm still waiting for mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    True. I'm still waiting for mine.
    October 2017 and this product still hasn't come out.
    I wonder if the OP still has the tire waiting to be repaired?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendogz161 View Post
    October 2017 and this product still hasn't come out.
    I wonder if the OP still has the tire waiting to be repaired?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123