Formosan Cyclocross

Performance difference between DT rr1.1 and rr2.1

Conditions:
    I have been running 32 hole DT rr.1.1 for over a year and have been really happy with their performance. I lace them to King disc hubs on a road-fitted CX bike. They have gone out of true a few times, but nothing too serious. I do a variety of riding between short, rough roads and centuries. My frame is aluminum treated with scandium and I have a carbon fork. Oh... I am also about 140-145 lbs.

Problem:
    I had a real rough ride a few weeks ago that saw me catch the front end in a metal grate and bend the hub. I checked the rear wheel and it also had quite a wobble in it from something or other, maybe a hard gap in the road. I guess I hit something at speed. With all my truing the rear is now a bit uneven beyond help.

Solutions:
    My builder is suggesting switching out to DT rr 1.2 I am aware these would be a bit more rigid, heavier and less compliant with shorter spokes.

What would the difference be in riding characteristics. I am concerned I will get a harsher ride. Will they make that much of a difference? Should I just say [stuff] happens and stick with some new rr.1.1 or should I move over to rr 1.2 to better avoid problems in the future?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dajianshan; 09-19-2009 at 06:26 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    they might be a bit harsher but if you are hard on wheels its a no brainer

ps use double butted spokes
    LANCE ARMSTRONG 2009 NEVADA CITY CHAMPION

Formosan Cyclocross
    Thanks alexb618!

I think that was the plan. I just hope it doesn't make enough of a difference to make my longer rides uncomfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan
    Solutions:
    My builder is suggesting switching out to DT rr 1.2 I am aware these would be a bit more rigid, heavier and less compliant with shorter spokes.
    That build should be suitable for someone who weighs twice what you do... overkill IMO. If you are hitting stuff so hard that you are getting a bent rim, then the stiffer rim might not even help... ie you will dent it. Repeated truing could mean that the wheel was not properly stress relieved and that the initial tension was uneven. Either that or you are extremely hard on wheels. Even then I'd suggest getting bigger tires rather than stiffer rims.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I thought they were plenty strong as well. I usually ride 25c tires on smooth surfaces and 30-32c when the road is expected to be a little nasty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan
    I thought they were plenty strong as well. I usually ride 25c tires on smooth surfaces and 30-32c when the road is expected to be a little nasty.
    At your weight the 1.1 should be fine with a lot less than 32 spokes.

Just don't hit anymore metal grates.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I was wondering if all the truing troubles could be related to the stresses the disc brakes are putting on one side of the wheel. I find they go out of true every couple months.

That grate was terrible. I was keeping to the shoulder with a series of grates each with a crossbar 4" apart. The final one was at an intersection, so as I was checking conditions I slowly rolled right over it. It had no cross bars. Each gap was 20" apart. Doh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Discs can put a lot of torque on the front wheel, but the rear will slide before the torque gets very high. If they are laced sensibly I wouldn't expect a problem. This is also an issue that a heavy rim won't fix.