Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    100

    Proper Tension for DT Comps + HED Belgium

    Wheel building newb and just got a Park Tension Meter. Quick quesiton - are DT Competition Double Butted spokes considered a 1.8 thickness?

    I have a rear 32h Hed Belgium C2 / Ultegra Hub that's taken some pretty heavy abuse from a 230lb rider and it keeps coming out of true.

    First Q: My meter reads 26-27 for almost all my drive side spokes - which if that translates to 1.8 - is off the chart - over 167. So wondering if I should unwind all the spokes and basically start over on that wheel.

    Second Q: How do you know when I rim is bent to the point it needs replacing? I seem to remember my LBS last summer saying this rim took what looked like a curb hit. So I'm wondering when I had them true it - if the high numbers are cause they're trying to true out a bent rim?

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    307
    I have a Hed Belgium rim/wheel that I bulit, I weight 225 and my Ds spokes are 22/23 on my Park tension meter which is about 1200 kgf which is about what this rim calls for, I rarely have to true my wheel an then its just a liitle bit. Yes I would say 26-27 is high, If the rim is bent so bad that they had to true it that tight, I would probably say you need a new rim, but take it to a shop with a known good wheel builder an have him check it first.

  3. #3
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,166
    2.0-1.8-2.0 Comps? You should be shooting for 22-23 as VR posted. That said, when was your Park tension meter last calibrated?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    2.0-1.8-2.0 Comps? You should be shooting for 22-23 as VR posted. That said, when was your Park tension meter last calibrated?
    2.0-1.8-2.0 - yes.
    Never calibrated - new out of the box - do you need to calibrate a new one?

  5. #5
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,166
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcg333 View Post
    2.0-1.8-2.0 - yes.
    Never calibrated - new out of the box - do you need to calibrate a new one?
    It should be fine.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura Roubaix View Post
    I have a Hed Belgium rim/wheel that I bulit, I weight 225 and my Ds spokes are 22/23 on my Park tension meter which is about 1200 kgf which is about what this rim calls for, I rarely have to true my wheel an then its just a liitle bit. Yes I would say 26-27 is high, If the rim is bent so bad that they had to true it that tight, I would probably say you need a new rim, but take it to a shop with a known good wheel builder an have him check it first.
    thanks so much, this is exactly why I'm going to figure out how to build/service my own wheels ...

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,444
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcg333 View Post
    Wheel building newb and just got a Park Tension Meter. Quick quesiton - are DT Competition Double Butted spokes considered a 1.8 thickness?
    Yes. It's the 1.8mm section that you are putting the tensiometer on, so that's the part of the chart you should read.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcg333 View Post
    I have a rear 32h Hed Belgium C2 / Ultegra Hub that's taken some pretty heavy abuse from a 230lb rider and it keeps coming out of true.
    How many miles are on this wheel? The components you are using are pretty robust. What do you mean by "abuse"?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcg333 View Post
    First Q: My meter reads 26-27 for almost all my drive side spokes - which if that translates to 1.8 - is off the chart - over 167. So wondering if I should unwind all the spokes and basically start over on that wheel.
    First off, yes, this is too high. The HED C2 can take 130kgF or around 23-24 on the meter. Keep in mind that when you mount and inflate a tire to road pressures, this will decrease your tensions slightly (about 1 graduation on the meter). One warning sign that you have tensioned the wheel past the limits that the rim can handle is that you will have a wave in the wheel you simply will not be able to get rid of regardless of how many small adjustments you make.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcg333 View Post
    Second Q: How do you know when I rim is bent to the point it needs replacing? I seem to remember my LBS last summer saying this rim took what looked like a curb hit. So I'm wondering when I had them true it - if the high numbers are cause they're trying to true out a bent rim?
    Are all your readings relatively equal all around the DS of the wheel when the wheel is trued or are there tension disparities of more than 1-2 graduations? If you cannot equalize tensions AND make the wheel true at the same time, there is probably a bend.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



Similar Threads

  1. Hed Belgium plus or Mavic CXP 33 rims
    By Mark H in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-29-2016, 07:58 PM
  2. Hed Belgium C2 rim Velo plug size?
    By zaragarcia in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 06:13 AM
  3. HED Belgium rims- thoughts and experiences?
    By dankilling in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 07:56 PM
  4. 24/28 or 28/32 for DA/HED Belgium C2 Build
    By grande in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM
  5. ksyrium sl or HED belgium c2 with dt240 hubs?
    By sdlesko in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 06:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.