Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008

pulled the trigger on a new wheelset

I ordered a new wheelset today from Roland at Zen Cyclery today. I just finished the checkout through Goole Wallet.

Alchemy ELF & ORC hubs 20F radial / 24R 2x - black
    Kinlin XR-270 rims - black
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes w/ alloy nipples - black

I'm 155 pounds and 5'7" and am very excited to be replacing the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels that came on my '09 Kestrel Evoke SL. It should be a weight savings of about 500 grams. I'll use the Mavic skewers until I figure out what skewers to get. Then I'll sell the Mavic wheels & skewers to help offset my new setup.

Roy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like a great wheelset, make sure to post a pic when you get them.....i am looking at getting the same set from Roland or possibly using the White Industry Hubs instead of the Alchemys.
    I know i want black hubs/rims but i am unsure if i want to accent it with a different color spoke nipple.

RoadBikeReview Member

Nice

You will like those wheels. I'm 169cm and 55kg. I have a pair of Ksyrium Equipes bought when I lived in Shanghai and found it hard to buy spokes but your wheels will be noticeable lighter and more responsive.

I have a set with WI hubs, DT Aerolite spokes and Kinlin 270's. Same build. Heads in up front.

I built them and used brass nipples instead of alloy. Everything including the nipples is black.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    I need to talk to Roland on Monday. I'm wondering if I should run the Tune Mig70 and Mag170 instead. The fairwheel bikes hub review says the Alchemy ORC is good for heavier riders and could be considered overkill for some (lighter riders).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    The alchemy hubs are very light, definitely not overkill for anyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    The alchemy hubs are very light, definitely not overkill for anyone.

222 grams for the ORC is not very light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm pretty much exactly your size and had the exact same wheels though built by someone else (still have the hubs but got new rims recently). I also read the fairwheel thing and don't really understand what 'overkill' is supposed to mean. No such thing as a wheel being too strong the way I look at it. Maybe they mean overkill in terms of price because smaller guys could get all the support they need with a cheaper hub? Whatever, Alchemy hubs under my 150 pounds has made for really stiff yet not harsh wheels. If that's overkill I'll take all the overkill I can get.

Our riding styles might be different but as far as your size goes I can say for sure there is no issue there with getting Alchemy hubs. I really like the way they and that spoke/rim combo rode at 5' 8" 150 myself.
    I did end up needing new rims because of cracks. That was after 10000 + miles of mostly hard riding on some crappy roads though so I wouldn't let that scare you off the kinlins.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the info. I probably don't need to talk to Roland afterall. Here is his opinion from a year ago: kinlin xr-270/alpha 340 rims.. how many holes?. There is nothing I hate more than creaking.

I was just thinking it would be nice to save another 50 grams by going with the MIG170.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I'm pretty much exactly your size and had the exact same wheels though built by someone else (still have the hubs but got new rims recently). I also read the fairwheel thing and don't really understand what 'overkill' is supposed to mean. No such thing as a wheel being too strong the way I look at it. Maybe they mean overkill in terms of price because smaller guys could get all the support they need with a cheaper hub? Whatever, Alchemy hubs under my 150 pounds has made for really stiff yet not harsh wheels. If that's overkill I'll take all the overkill I can get.
    What we were trying to say in the review about the Alchemy hubs being overkill for some is this. For a lighter rider that is not flexing a normal wheel building a stiffer wheel with the Alchemy hubs is not actually making any difference for them. If they are flexing the wheels then Alchemy hubs would make a difference if they are not then Tune hubs will feel the same for them but be lighter. It is kind of like having a 500hp car that you only drive 45mph, it doesn't matter how fast it is if you don't drive it fast.

Quote Originally Posted by royta View Post
    Thanks for the info. I probably don't need to talk to Roland afterall. Here is his opinion from a year ago: kinlin xr-270/alpha 340 rims.. how many holes?. There is nothing I hate more than creaking.

I was just thinking it would be nice to save another 50 grams by going with the MIG170.
    Not sure how he determined that the 170 had creaking problems if he had not actually sold any at that point. I can tell you there is no creaking problem with the 170 hubs. We have sold a few hundred and have only had one come back because of noise and it turned out to be bearing and nothing to do with the drive ring like the old 180 hub.

Don't get me wrong, the Alchemy hubs are really good hubs but like we said in the review most lighter weight riders won't get the full benefit of the stiffer wheel that they will build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by royta View Post
    222 grams for the ORC is not very light.
    Yes, it really is.

Your next post talks about saving 50 grams. We're talking about an amount of weight that might save hundredths of a second of a long climb.

If you think a 220g hub is overkill heavy, you've lost touch with reality, or you're building a bike scale queen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Yes, it really is.

Your next post talks about saving 50 grams. We're talking about an amount of weight that might save hundredths of a second of a long climb.

If you think a 220g hub is overkill heavy, you've lost touch with reality, or you're building a bike scale queen.

I just figured grams are grams, and if you can save a few without spending any extra, why not?

Thanks for the info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligero View Post
    What we were trying to say in the review about the Alchemy hubs being overkill for some is this. For a lighter rider that is not flexing a normal wheel building a stiffer wheel with the Alchemy hubs is not actually making any difference for them. If they are flexing the wheels then Alchemy hubs would make a difference if they are not then Tune hubs will feel the same for them but be lighter. It is kind of like having a 500hp car that you only drive 45mph, it doesn't matter how fast it is if you don't drive it fast.

Not sure how he determined that the 170 had creaking problems if he had not actually sold any at that point. I can tell you there is no creaking problem with the 170 hubs. We have sold a few hundred and have only had one come back because of noise and it turned out to be bearing and nothing to do with the drive ring like the old 180 hub.

Don't get me wrong, the Alchemy hubs are really good hubs but like we said in the review most lighter weight riders won't get the full benefit of the stiffer wheel that they will build.
    I'm not sure where 155 pounds lies on the light vs heavy rider scale. I can say that I am surrounded by 6% and greater climbs, and because I seem to be getting in better shape everyday, I have become the stand and hammer type on those climbs. My home is right off of one of the climbs on Stages 1 & 3 of this years Tour of Utah and 98% of my riding is spent on sections of those two stages. I've only been riding road since August 2010, and couldn't tell you if I was flexing my existing setup or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Nice wheels!

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligero View Post
    Not sure how he determined that the 170 had creaking problems if he had not actually sold any at that point. I can tell you there is no creaking problem with the 170 hubs.
    True. At the time of the post, I was under the impression that creaking issues were much more prevalent than they actually were.
    Ligero is right on this one. The Tune's do not have any creaking issues and they really are a great hubset.
    With that said, I still prefer Alchemys not only because of their specs but more importantly because of the company behind them. Sarah and Jeremy are outstanding business owners and I will always vouch for their product.

Recycle King
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    True. At the time of the post, I was under the impression that creaking issues were much more prevalent than they actually were.
    Ligero is right on this one. The Tune's do not have any creaking issues and they really are a great hubset.
    With that said, I still prefer Alchemys not only because of their specs but more importantly because of the company behind them. Sarah and Jeremy are outstanding business owners and I will always vouch for their product.
    Do you a mid profile aero clincher wheel(28-33mm wall height)?
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    Do you a mid profile aero clincher wheel(28-33mm wall height)?
    On the aluminum side of things there is the Kinlin XR-270 coming in at 27mm, the Kinlin XR-300 at 30mm, and the Velocity Deep V measures 30mm. If you are interested in carbon check out the ENVE composite smart system 3.4 clinchers or the Reynolds MV32 clincher rims.

-Zane

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Skewer suggestions? KCNC?

RoadBikeReview Member

It depends

I have them and use them on my wheels like the one's you're building. Extremely light and well made. I do not like the sizeshape of the lever handle. Too short and narrow for my taste but they do work well.

I do like the Mavic's, similar to the one's that came with the original Ksyrium SSC and SSC SL's.

I also have a set of Fulcrum's. They are well made but a bit heavy (it's relative and I'm no weight weenie) and can be expensive depending on how your source them.

Worth looking at the Fair Wheel skewer shoot out

fairwheelbikes.com • View topic - Skewer Shootout
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Regarding the skewers...I am just going to use what came with the Mavic Equipe wheels for now. I am hoping to have my new wheelset for a long ride this Saturday, and with the limited amount of riding time I have between then and LOTOJA on 9/8, I think sticking with a tried and true is the best thing to do.

I had already looked at the fairwheel skewer shootout. Good info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    LOl, just stumbled onto this post. I had Roland build me up a pair of those wheels myself about a year ago. They are my main wheels and have been rock solid over several thousand miles. Trying to decide on which bike to ride for the LOTOJA (long story) but I think these wheels are the ones I'll be rocking regardless. Zero problems with them since getting them and I have a "few" pounds on you.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I bought a pair of the katmandu wheels (kinlin 270 rims, White Industries hubs (H2/H3) and Sapim cxray spokes). I was building up an older steel bike and I wanted a silver set of wheels. They've been great and look like a million bucks ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    My Siddartha wheelset in all black from Zen Cyclery was shipped yesterday. That's a darn quick turnaround considering I placed my order on Friday, August 10th. I'm looking forward to some rollers, steep climbs, and steep descents on Saturday. I'll start tapering off for LOTOJA starting Monday.

http://www.zencyclery.com/siddartha-...-wheelset.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Awesome, you should love the wheels. That is a quick turn around. Mine took awhile as he had to wait for some parts. Time to make the real climb up Powder. Tried it yesterday with the standard double, bad idea when you have screwed up knees. Will attack it again with the compact double soon. Enjoy those new wheels!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Be careful coming down. Didn't a guy die coming down it last year? Carbon wheels though. I'm thinking the compact with that 12-27 would be the minimum I'd use if I were you and had it to choose from. I'm stuck with the compact (36T) and 12-25.

They didn't have the hubs, but they called Alchemy and Alchemy was able to ship quickly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, someone went off around 40 + mph and died. That road is so unsafe seems like someone wrecks on there somehow and dies every year.

Let us know what you think about the wheels. I am doing a long climbing ride tomorrow and then will decide which bike I am doing LOTOJA with. What ever one it is, it will have the Zen wheels on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast