RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Racing 3 Upgrade? Shimano 7900 c24 or Fulcrum 2 way fit?

Hey all.
    Looking to upgrade from my Fulcrum racing 3's. I really like the idea of going tubeless. I am looking at the Shimano 7900 c24 Dura Ace wheels or the Fulcrum racing 0 or 1's Two way fit.

Would either of these options be much of an upgrade? Or should I keep looking?

Thoughts on the 7900 c24 vs Racing 0's or 1's?

Thanks

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    I'll be honest, Fulcrum 0's are light... but the Shimano I hear are simply amazing.

If I could trade some of my wheels for that DA, I would. Too bad I need 6 wheelsets
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    +1 on the Shimano 7900. I have been using the Dura Ace 7850 c24 all of this year. They are great. Light rim=quicker acceleration. Wheels still true after 4,000+ miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How's the true weight on the wheels? I hear they are slot heavier than claimed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by alexf76 View Post
    Sorry I can not answer your question. I have not weighed them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's also the option of the new Giant P-SLR1 which is supposed to be cheaper and lighter than the C24 and also tubeless. I'm waiting to see how those are reviewed since I was also interested in the 7900.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I run the 7850's and love em as my everyday wheelset. They cam in around 15g heavier than advertised, but I didn't buy them to be light weight wheels. My buddy just got a set of the 7900's. They're also nice, but besides the color differences, I couldn't tell the difference when riding. Either set is nice. I can't give any advice on the fulcrums cause I've never ridden them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Fulcrums will be a little stiffer than the Shimano's, the Shimano's will ride buttery smooth and more comfortable. I ride DA 7850 SL and the tubeless ride is fantastic.
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks everyone else for chiming in. Looks like I have a set of 7900's in my future. I really like the idea that they are tubeless for one and that they should make a great all around wheel for just about any application. Plus 'buttery smooth and more comfortable' sounds so sweet.

F45
    banned
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by alexf76 View Post
    The 7850 CL will be very close to it's advertised weight. It's the 7900 and the TL models that are heavier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Are the 7900 C24s considered to be a light wheelset? For example, my Supersix Evo came with Mavic Ksyrium Elites, with a stated weight of 1550 grams. The stated weight for the 7900 C24s is 1464 grams. From what I have read, when the Ksyriums are mentioned, many will post that they are HEAVY. Is a weight reduction of 86 grams a great margin for a wheelset? Enough for the set to now be considered light?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Per Shimano, the rims on the 7900 C24 are around 385 grams each. It is the rotating weight what you need to reduce on a wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renedelbarco View Post
    Per Shimano, the rims on the 7900 C24 are around 385 grams each. It is the rotating weight what you need to reduce on a wheel.
    It is not tubeless but:

What is the weight of the Fulcrum Racing 3 2011 rims (front/rear).

Would also be interesting to know the weight of of the Mavic Ksyrium Elite 2011 rims (plus nipples).

irony intended
    have been riding on the 7900-C24-TL for a couple of weeks now. previous 7850-C50-CL. All in weight difference [(slightly heavier tires on the C24s - maxxis padrone - compared to C50s - vredestein fortezza tricomp) plus stan's sealant at 2 oz per tire versus bontrager tubes (80mm valve stem)] - the new set up came in 6+ ounces less....more than "so what" but not substantive when the advertised difference in wheels alone was about 250 grams.

but like i said, so what? the real improvement is in that I can notice a difference (yes, subjective and personal) in overall ride quality, comfort, and even tighter tracking with less crosswind impact. all on specialized 2011 tarmac pro SL full dura ace.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    The 7900 c24 (TL) are terrific (I'm running tubeless with Spesh S-Works Turbo along with 2 oz Caffelatex).

I could tell the Shimmy was quality right off the bat months ago. Smooth, quiet, stiff as anything out there (really gets the power forward and does not bat about on steep climbing above 10 % grades) and remarkably aero for a 24 deep rim (your not a spinning dervish downhill and/or in crosswind). You can feel the acceleration free-wheeling on a steep descent as you tuck it and overtake riding partners

And insofar as weight; a bit heavier than the lightest clincher/tube combo I've used but nothing that is going to slow anybody. Road these wheels and tires in the 12,750 vert gain century of the Deer Creek Challenge. Did not notice or gave one thought to the 120 gram per wheel weight gain over my prior set-up. These hubs spin up quick and I'd never give up the total performance this wheel and TL tire gives me as a non-Pro rider.

The TL combo feels tubular but as easy-breezy as clincher. Absolutely performance inspiring coming down the mountain pass twist and tight turns at 40 plus. The wheels and TL tires smooth out the ride like a 25 but without looking like you're on a Fatty. The hubs on the 7900's just spin up effortlessly, looking good all the while.

BTW, wife rides the 7850 version with same rubber although the 7900's hubs are a little beefier.

I really can't think of a better all purpose combination for our Colorado road cycling...from washboard gravel to Mt. Evans or coming down new pavement on High Grade Road at snot flying speed. One wheel set that does it all...and very well

(edit...wheels and tires compliment 2010 S-Works Roubaix/DA and spesh cranks)
    Last edited by DonDenver; 09-19-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add bike config