RoadBikeReview Member

Rear solid disc wheels (for TTs)

Any bargains out there and/or ones with wicked designs? I have a set of deep dish that I'm going to use on my road bike and TT bike for now, but might look at something for next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    A bargain would be a plastic cover that you can attach to any wheel.

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff
    A bargain would be a plastic cover that you can attach to any wheel.
    Word.
    Make your own by using mylar, hair dryer and glue.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    The mylar suggestion may sound silly but many years ago there was a company called Nosler Research that made a wheel called a J-Disk that was a mylar covered wire spoked wheel. I have one that is still perfect but needs a screw on freewheel so it is setting in its shipping box.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

RoadBikeReview Member
    For a real disc the best deal out there is likely the Renn Disc

It's going for $570.00 and you can get it in tubular or clincher. I think it's also around $40.00 for shipping and usually takes around 3-4 weeks to get them (the are built to order).

I have one and like it a lot...basically does the job for 1/3 the cost of a Zipp, HED, etc.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker
    For a real disc the best deal out there is likely the Renn Disc

It's going for $570.00 and you can get it in tubular or clincher. I think it's also around $40.00 for shipping and usually takes around 3-4 weeks to get them (the are built to order).

I have one and like it a lot...basically does the job for 1/3 the cost of a Zipp, HED, etc.
    Gotcha, that would probably work. LOL, purchased some Mavics last year that are nice, but obviously expensive and before I knew of the independent wheel builders. Figured I'd get the deep dish wheels so I could use it on the TT bike and my road bike. Usually the local TTs are North/South, but there was one that was a circular loop around a lake. Being 125lbs, I think I might get knocked off my bike with a solid disc, eh?

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP
    The mylar suggestion may sound silly but many years ago there was a company called Nosler Research that made a wheel called a J-Disk that was a mylar covered wire spoked wheel. I have one that is still perfect but needs a screw on freewheel so it is setting in its shipping box.
    A guy I used to ride with was always tinkering about. He made and marketed a fork called the Road Rocket (I believe that was the name) that used a 650c wheel on a bike that used 700c wheels. It was during the heyday of triathletes (think neon colors). At the time the only high profile rims were Matrix ISO C. He trimmed and glued maylar to the rim and used a hair dyer to heat out the wrinkles.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Plastic covers cut to fit
    http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/pr...5&cat=0&page=1
    Team mates like them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Got my plastic cover from Excel for $60. You can also make them from ABS sheet if you are cheap. I trimmed off the lip, ditched the screws, and use foam tape, rubber bands, and good (3M) electrical tape around the edge to keep it in place. For practical purposes it is a fine disc wheel, although it is heavier than the ones that cost $1000+.