gmx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

rebuilding with dura ace 7700 hubs?

I've been shopping around for a wheelset upgrade for my 2010 CAAD9-5 and had it narrowed down to khysrium elites or c17 zondas. Today I was given a wheelset with DA 7700s. Its a tubular rim and I was considering venturing into unfamiliar terrain and having the hubs built into a new clincher wheelset. The hubs appear to be in good condition, and are (maybe unfortunately ) 32hole.

I'm pretty sure they will accommodate the 10sp cassette I currently have. Would these be a decent set of hubs to build up a similar quality/performance wheelset as the Elite or Zonda? Or should I just stick with the factory builts?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Excellent hubs. Will definitely work w/ 10 speed cassettes. You can build them however you want, the only consideration is spoke drilling (meaning you can't really build them w/ carbon rims as they have 32 holes.). Only you can decide whether it's worth it to build them up.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I have a set that is 15 years old and looks and spins like new. A 10 speed cassette works fine. Lace them up with HED Belgiums or Archetypes if the frame allows it. Mine are on their second sets of Mavic CXP-33's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Go with it without hesitation. The only thing you have to do is follow the previous lacing that was used with the hubs - the new spokes need to be oriented in the hubs just as the old ones were. Have seen plenty of cracked flanges where people failed to do that on reusing hubs.

gmx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the replies! Good point of note on the rebuild. Super stoked on the hubs. I am now debating the possibility as running them in their current set up as tubulars. The mavic reflex rims spin true with no cracks around eyelets and the tires mounted look like they have lots of life left in them. However, I have 0 experience with tubulars and will have to do some more investigating.

That failing, I will probably put them on a pair of Sl23 v2s that I've seen for a good deal with some cx ray bladed spokes to keep the weight down.

Any further input on these ideas is more than welcome..